4 replies to this topic

#1 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,149 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I just got a call from Rodger Niznik from Canada, on the sudden passing of his friend, long-time slot racer, Grant Osborne.

In my early days of racing in the '80s and early '90s, Grant was a fixture in the wing car scene, racing in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#2 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

Grant and his father owned O'Connor Raceway in Toronto. It was where my brothers and I spent lots of time at when we were kids. He was also involved with other raceways in the '90s, and I saw Grant a lot during my trackbuilding days.

Sorry to hear he is gone.

#3 Grp27Racer

Grp27Racer

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

Grant was here at my home track called 'The Groove' this past Saturday, attending our second annual 'Invitational Fast Blast IROC Challenge' event. He had a great time and all of us were so happy he was here.

We're glad that he got to enjoy what he loved (slot cars and racing) right to the end.

He helped a lot of people throughout the years and was a good-natured, happy guy. I myself have been very fortunate to know him and to call him a good friend. I'm so grateful for all he did for me.  :good: 

He was a real gentleman, a mentor to so many, a slot car guru, and  a great ambassador for the sport, the 'ultimate slot car enthusiast.'

I'll try to compile some interesting facts about Grant's life in the near future (and post then here) so racers can get to know this person who was part of the sport for so long.

Our condolences go out to his family. He will be missed.

• Cheater, MSwiss, Steve Deiters and 1 other like this

Rodger Niznik

3 - time Canadian Group 27 Champion (1997, 1998, 1999)
2 - time Overall Champion "Ontario Suzuka GTA Scrambler" (2017, 2019)

"Barnburner"  2019 - One Motor Boxstock Champion
Canada's Most Exciting "Hammond Organ Player" - retired

Keep your guide in "The Groove"  :victory:

#4 Dan Miller

Dan Miller

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

Grant Osborne's O'Connor Raceway was the last big commercial track of any significance or influence in the Toronto region. For that matter, all of Canada. 

When other raceways closed down, Grant kept his open and alive for many years. You can say it was the starting platform of Mossetti chassis and PK armatures. Bill Woloschuk, Ray Nunes, Bruce Adamson, Scott Wylie, Ernie Mossetti, and myself all called it our home track. It was our home base when we started going South to race in the USA. Now some of us have product that goes all around the World. 

RIP, Grant.
  • Cheater, David Reed, jokar124 and 1 other like this

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,214 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:56 AM

Here is Grant's obituary, found online.

With heavy hearts, at the age of 79, we announce the death of Grant Osborne (Toronto, Ontario), who passed away on May 1, 2019. Family and friends are welcome to send flowers or leave their condolences on this memorial page and share them with the family.

Visitation will be held on Saturday, May 4, 2019, from 12 PM to 2 PM at the McDougall & Brown Funeral Home Scarborough Chapel (2900 Kingston Rd., Scarborough, ON).

A funeral service will be held on Saturday, May 4, 2019, from 2 PM to 2 PM at the Chapel Service at McDougall & Brown Funeral Home.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop