• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Highnoon

Highnoon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

I stumbled across this on their webpage, no announcement on here or the other a slot car site that I see. Guess all the diehard wing guys already knew.

What about us newbies? How are we suppose to find out about the very few national level wing races if they don't announce them on major communication media.

With advanced announcement I probably would have gone but now too late for me.

And other thing, I've been trying for two months to get NASRA to tell what their rules are for there race in August. No response.

And people wonder why slot racing is dying.

• Pablo, Phil Donaldson, Samiam and 1 other like this
Gary Cooper

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,215 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:58 PM

Gary,

Don't get me started...

The 1/24 commercial side of slot racing, top to bottom in most of its aspects, is just about the most egocentric and self-centered activity I have ever encountered in my life.

Yes, saying this is 'tarring with a broad brush,' but it is way more factual than not.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

Who says slot car racing (as most of us know it) is dying?

Just look at the turn-out at the recently held Div 2 Nats.

Sad.
Ron Thornton

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,215 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

Zip,

It's necessary to reference the specific genre of slot racing under discussion.

The most telling metric for the 1/24 hobby in the US is the number of commercial raceways in operation. Without a doubt, there are fewer retail raceways today than at any time since the early '60s.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:13 AM

Gary,

I too had requested rules at the very beginning of NASRA in hopes of getting my armatures approved as I would not have anything to do with a USRA headed by the previous bunch in place. I am hopeful that the new USRA president and crew can fix things. For some reason getting the word out about races is actually worse now than in the old days when everything was on Morrissey's newspaper or Spiderman's paper.

Greg is right on the money with his assessment. I won't give up on slots but it's hard to keep momentum going with virtually no camaraderie like the old NCC or early USRA days.

If you go please write up what you saw and what you thought for the rest of us. I'll PM you about arms, etc., soon.

Jess Gonzales

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

Great post, it hits the nail right on the head. I have experienced exactly the same thing.

How can you build a car and go race if they won't post the rules?

I've also experienced race series where they make the rules up as they go, or present them at the last minute.

Just like the man says, the big wing names that fly in from long distances never seem to have a problem knowing what parts are legal and what the rules are. Only the "in crowd" knows.

Look at post #31 HERE.

I asked in a post "what are "World's Rules" and was ignored. So I deleted it and chose to not race where the rules are kept secret. I PM'd the owner and was still ignored.

Pretty shady when you announce a race and don't post rules. Don't tell me it's on Facebook, I don't go there, period. If you announce an event on Slotblog, I think you should also announce the rules... on Slotblog.
  • Rotorranch, philk and Jesse Gonzales like this
Paul Wolcott

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,215 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

One of the funniest parts of this is that the trackowner where the Worlds is being held posted this to his facility's Facebook page on or about April 13:

"Worlds 2019 Dear friends,

World championship in Tennesse will start in 3 weeks and rules for this event NONEXIST!!!

For this reason I propose at least these brief rules..."

If we made this stuff up, no one would believe it.
  • The Number of and Jesse Gonzales like this

Gregory Wells

#8 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

There are two rules for wing cars.

First rule, there are no rules.

Second rule, see first rule.

Rules, rules, we don't need no stinkin rules! :)
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#9 Bernie

Bernie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

LOL... the "rules" are what "they" say they are... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  • Cheater, Silver Fox and Jesse Gonzales like this
Bernie Schatz

#10 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

FB_IMG_1556723225764 (1).jpg

• Cheater and Bernie like this

Kevin VanPelt

"Hakuna Matata"

#11 Highnoon

Highnoon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

There are two rules for wing cars.

First rule, there are no rules.

Second rule, see first rule.

Rules, rules, we don't need no stinkin rules! :)

No, that made me laugh. Thanks.

Gary Cooper

#12 Highnoon

Highnoon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

So I sent a message to Tracy at about the worlds. I wanted to know about the group F rules. I got a fast response, he said spec tires and you have to buy a motor. I asked what motor, he said pro slot fk. asked some other questions about details and he sent me the brief rules that are in this thread. He was helpful but doesn’t have the details because the rules as stated about are nonexistent.

I went back to Facebook to see how I missed them and they were not posted in a stand-alone thread but as comments to an existing thread, ok so bad on me I guess. I guess I need to read every raceways individual Facebook page to keep up to date on what races are when.

So on a similar vein which I think Tracy alludes to in his post as the rules are Nonexistent. I posted on Nasra Facebook page in March, twice were are your rules. I got no response. Other people posted what happened to group F as it was not listed at the race at Port Jeff. No response.So couple weeks ago, I sent an email to the address on Port Jeff’s page asking about what Are the rules for the race. That was 4/25, on 4/27 I asked again and on 4/30 I got a response from I guess the owner saying
“Please contact pro7slot@aol.com for further nasra assistance at this time.” So I do and after 3 does not exists, I reply back to Port Jeff and get pro7slots@aol.com as the name. Honest mistake, so I email off and no response todate.

Look, I love wing car racing. I want to race. I’m a newbie, I want to buy parts, build cars and help the sport grow. But wow guys can we make this anymore more difficult.

I get it the USRA has some supposed leadership and rules issues so racers bolted and setup NASRA, so who is leading it how?

Seems like they are doing the same thing they accused USRA of doing, changing rules by executive rules with any conversation. Group F is supposed to be the entry level Wing car class.

So unless something changes with NASRA, I’m going to continue my weekly races at Marks Model World and go to the occasional race
That I can find by sifting thru each Raceways Facebook page.

And I will go to PJ Watson’s USRA race in August and run Group F. Now if they don’t have group F, then I can look at a very detailed set of rules to figure which of the many variations of 12 style motors I can build or buy.

I don’t want to beat a dead horse so how about Greg you lock this thread as it has gone sideways and let’s move on.
  • Pablo and Jesse Gonzales like this
Gary Cooper

Electric Dreams Online Shop