5 replies to this topic

#1 triggerman

triggerman

Lurkaholic

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:18 PM

Just logged into eBay and see that Mr. Schmitt is still selling Hudy tire truers with counterfeit micrometer screws installed on them and calling them by the name I've been using for my product since 2003!

For the potential buyers out there who might be interested in purchasing one of these knock-offs. If you buy one from him, you're not getting a Knob Job and you're getting screwed!

It's not just a micrometer screw, it's a turn-key system.

For those who don't know if you plan on purchasing a Knob Job equipped Hudy, ask yourself these questions:

1. Were the drum and axle aligned to minimize the cone in the tire after grinding?
2. Does it come with a chart that converts dial turns and steps to final grind size that's repeatable?
3. Did the seller relieve the final drive pulley so it wouldn't rub on the swinging support?
4. Are your axle hubs marked to aid in finding the set screw on full hub rims?
5. Does your adjustment screw stay put while grinding or does it rotate due to vibration?
6. Were the bearings lubricated with a special grease that costs $30 for a 40g tube?
7. Was the motor pulley shortened to facilitate lubrication of the motor bushing?

If you're not getting all this then you're getting screwed!
  • Pappy, Pablo, The Number of and 4 others like this

Dale Ryan
trigrman@rochester.rr.com

If it’s not an original Knob Job, you got screwed!

#2 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

... the name I've been using for my product since 2003.

Dale - Always have liked and used your "stuff."

Have you trademarked or copyrighted the name "Knob Job"?

This might be a case of where your efforts have gotten to the point of a brand name taking on a generic industry meaning such as occurred with Xerox, Kleenex... even aspirin was a brand name at one point.

Just a thought.
  • triggerman and Jesse Gonzales like this

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#3 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

I agree Knob Job has become somewhat a generic term for calibration on a slot car tire truer.

That said, even if Geary and I provided a chart and all the other niceties Dale provides, as the distributor and promoter of the 2 True, never did I consider calling the calibration, that was later added to the unit, as a 'Knob Job'.

http://slotblog.net/...ble-tire-truer/
  • Frankie Schaffier and Jesse Gonzales like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#4 kvanpelt

kvanpelt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

I have two Hudys with the original Triggerman knob job's purchased from Mid-America Raceway many years ago. I couldn't be happier with them!

Maybe a wise business strategy would be to work a deal with MA and market your product through them. With their website and the volume of internet sales they generate, maybe it would be a winning deal for you both.

Like most responsible racers, I would prefer the majority of the profit and sales go to my local raceway to keep the doors open and a place for me to play.
  • Mike K likes this
Kevin VanPelt
?/?/56-6/12/23
Requiescat in Pace

#5 triggerman

triggerman

Lurkaholic

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

Maybe a wise business strategy would be to work a deal with MA and market your product through them. With their website and the volume of internet sales they generate, maybe it would be a winning deal for you

A little late for that, don’t you think?

How about this “wise business strategy”? Call or email me and ask! My phone number and email address have been proudly included with all my product manuals and brochures. I maintain that old trigrman@rochester.rr.com address because it was the one I used back in 2003 when I started.

In fact I used to do business with Mr. Schmitt but he stopped ordering years ago.

Dale Ryan
trigrman@rochester.rr.com

If it’s not an original Knob Job, you got screwed!

#6 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

The responsibility here does not rest with Dale. Especially after the fact.

• Half Fast, Rotorranch and Jesse Gonzales like this

Matt Bishop

Electric Dreams Online Shop