#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:25 AM

Sports Car and Trans-Am at STR on 5/6/19

Seven regulars showed up to race Sports Car and Trans-Am at STR on 5/6/19. Track conditions were very good and racing was close as usual. There is an old saying that charity begins at home and I think we can all agree that the old saying rung true for this weeks race. Charitable Bob gave the field a break by trotting out his second string rides; a 70 Dodge Challenger (Deathstar power) for Trans-Am and a Ferrari F50 (Deathstar power) for Sports Car.

Trans-Am

The top five competitors all had a shot at the podium turning fast laps between 5.084 (Rich) and 5.200 (Mark). As is the usual case, the race was decided in the final heat. James and Rich were in the barn with 88.7 and 87.5 laps respectively. Mark rotated to red lane for the final heat with 65+ laps. Charitable Bob rotated to yellow for the final heat with 64+ laps and Joe rotated to white lane with 66+ laps. While Joe had a chance for the top spot, both Bob and Mark had a shot at the bottom step of the podium. The last heat was intense with challengers pushing the pace. About half way through the final heat, Mark made an unforced error allowing Bob to close the gap. When the dust cleared it was James, Joe, Rich, Bob and Mark for first through fifth respectively.

TA_Results.jpg

TA_Field.jpg

Sports Car

Mark selected an unusual ride for the race; a Nissan 300ZX (body by Rons Paint and Bodyworks). The Nissan is classified as a Clubman car and as such has a narrower track than the sports cars. This put Mark at somewhat of a disadvantage to the field. Still the Nissan with Mark at the helm was able to turn some very competitive laps.

Again, the top five competitors battled it out for the podium. Going into the final heat, James was in the barn with 90.8 laps with the win in the bag. So, the final heat would be a battle for the second and third steps of the podium. Bob rotated to red with 66+ laps. Rich rotated to yellow about a half lap behind Bob. Mark rotated to white with 64+ laps while Joe rotated in on blue also with 64+ laps. Both Bob and Rich ran 23+ final heats; however Rich was unable to close on Bob. So, in the end, it was James, Bob and Rich for first through third respectively. Joe and Mark fought hard for fourth position. Joe finished with 86.7 laps with Mark only a section behind.

A few observations are in order.
  • Even with Deathstar power and an inferior body, Bob managed to finish second to James. When pushed, as in the final heat, Bob was able to turn a very fast lap of 4.936 seconds
  • James consistency won the day
  • Rich should have practiced a bit more with his Modena prior to race. After a tire swap prior to the race, Rich ran the first two heats with a rear track narrower than allowed. After adding a few spacers the car was much easier to handle but it was too late to challenge for the win.
  • Mark turned in a solid performance with the Nissan to nab fifth place.
  • Joes Testarossa was powered by a Deathstar, certainly a disadvantage. I believe a motor swap to a ProSlot 16D is in the offing. Watch out guys Joe will be coming for you.

SC_Results.jpg

SC_Field.jpg

SC_Scott.jpg

SC_Mark.jpg

• DE38, James Wendel and Eddie Fleming like this

Rich Vecchio

#2 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:24 AM

I was pleased to see that Mark's flashy new Nissan ran so well.  It was smooth and seemed to handle really well.  His best lap time was only 5 hundredths behind the #1 guy's best lap. 

He may inspire me to build a smaller body for a smaller smaller chassis that would be more of a challenge to podium with.

You can't always get what you want...

#3 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

I was pleased to see that Mark's flashy new Nissan ran so well.  It was smooth and seemed to handle really well.  His best lap time was only 5 hundredths behind the #1 guy's best lap. 

He may inspire me to build a smaller body for a smaller smaller chassis that would be more of a challenge to podium with.

Personally, I would like to see us add a Clubman class. I already have a Mazda RX7 that  has run at Pelican. Bob also has and RX7. I would also like to see a Gran Sport Class (without 917s). Here I would like to run my True Scale GT40

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop