3 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

I got the call for another Strapnut drag motor.  Like most of these, this started out as a plain-jane fk motor that got cut-up, hacked, smoothed.  The JK end bell got turned down to fit the slightly smaller I.D. of these motors...blah bah blah.  ***Interestingly, when I took apart the donor motor, I found a pretty big wire armature for the type...a #27 wind.  Anyway, I went for a more contemporary look here, shooting the bearing end of the motor in "Anodized Red" and the sides in "Anodized Purple".

Inside, this one got to kray-kray-strong solid neos, and I was asked to tighten-up the airgap, so I shimmed each magnet in .007", and the arm in it's raw state fit fine...but the airgap is about as tight as can be before grinding.  Bearings on both ends, with the end bell bearing keyed in place finishes off the setup.  This will be a big wire arm, so shunts will be necessary...but more to follow.

IMG_3638.JPG

• Jencar17, Tex, Chris Stemman and 8 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

Is it just me, or has there been more interest and participation in drag racing lately?  Between what people are asking me for (*which is only a tiny subset of slotters, and not representative), and motors like the "JK Hawk 11" being directed at drags, it just seems like slot drags are getting more attention.

John Havlicek

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

I think it is just that most groups are running some kind of spec, usually sealed motor. The exception would be drags and open. And open is a can of worms unto itself.

I do agree that Drags seem to be popular these days.

Eddie Fleming

#4 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

Funny you should mention this Mr. H as my VERY next need is a drag motor myself. I currently have 2 scratch built cars going on and the round track car I just recently got back the motor for it from you. The drag car was started over a year ago(I know,I am a SLOW builder with too many other things going on.. :/ ) It will be needing a pretty HOT motor for it. ;) 

• havlicek likes this

Michael J. Boruff

Electric Dreams Online Shop