rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

Electron Raceway

Triathlons Historical Perspective

I thought it might be interesting to recap Triathlon results over the past year to include a narrative, statistics and images of the cars. My purpose is twofold. First, it may give our racers some insight into the strengths and weaknesses of their respective rides. Second, it may serve as a window through which others may view our brand of racing.

Our True Scale classes all utilize production chassis with custom cut front and side pans. Axle carriers are modified to accept 1/8 or 3/32 axle bushings. Although the modifications take a bit of time, no soldering is required to assemble the final product. Chassis are topped with plastic model bodies in either 1/24 or 1/25 scale depending on the class. All classes are powered by sealed motors either ProSlot 16ds or Hawk 7s.  For a complete set of rules see the link http://slotblog.net/topic/73623-true-scale-rules-final-121816/

Historic Trans-Am

Plastic models of cars (1/25 scale only) for model years 66-72 that actually raced in the Trans-Ams over 2.0 liter class are allowed (an exception is that Mustang fastbacks are also allowed because they are inexpensive and readily available) 

Over the past year or so, Bob has dominated the True Scale Trans-Am class with his fuchsia 67 Camaro. The chassis for this ride is Plafit while the nicely detailed body was a product of Rons Paint and Bodyworks. Bob finished first in six of seven outings since 6/1/18.

Rich and James were the only others to reach the top step of the podium (each won a single race). Although Bob, Rich and James posted the quickest lap times and were able to break the five second barrier, Ron, Joe and Mark remain in the hunt with lap times in the 5.0 second range. See the table below for historical results and images of rides

TA_Hist.jpg

TA_Bob.jpg

TA_Rich.jpg

TA_Rich2.jpg

TA_James.jpg

TA_James2.jpg

TA_Ron2.jpg

TA_Ron.jpg

TA_Joe.jpg

TA_Mark.jpg

TA_Scott.jpg

TA_Scott2.jpg

TA_Scott3.jpg

TA_Terry.jpg

Sports Car

I have allowed cars from other True Scale classes such as Gran Sport and Can-Am to run along with True Scale Sports Cars. These contests, dubbed Mixed races have been characterized by very diverse grids. Porsche 917s and Ford GT40s have been the most popular True Scale alternatives. For the Triathlon Series 2019, I will allow only True Scale Sports Cars to compete in this class (I have included images of Gran Sport cars that have been entered in mixed races just for fun).

SC_Historical_Results.jpg

SC_James.jpg

SC_Bob.jpg

SC_Rich.jpg

SC_Rich2.jpg

SC_Ron.jpg

SC_Ron2.jpg

SC_Joe.jpg

SC_Mark.jpg

SC_Mark2.jpg

SC_Scott.jpg

Images of Gran Sport Cars

GT40_1.jpg

CC_Rich.jpg

CC_Ron.jpg

SC_Rich3.jpg

GT1

The True Scale GT1 class is ostensibly for Group C and GT1 cars run in the 80s and 90s (see link for rules to view the legal bodies). I have, and will continue to include closed sports cars that are wider than 3.25 inches like the Ferrari Enzo and La Ferrari (models of these contemporary Ferraris are inexpensive and have a similar wheelbase and track to traditional Group C and GT1 models)

In my opinion, GT1 has been the most competitive True Scale class of all. No one make/model has become a dominant force. This leads to very diverse grids. Racing has been characterized by very close finishes; in many cases less than a section has separated the winner from second place (check out the image below of the finish of the 2/21/19 race). In many cases, less than a lap has separated first and fourth places.

GT1_Close.jpg

Looking at recent data, it appears that nearly all competitors have a shot at the podium. The table below illustrates GT1 results since 6/1/18. Note the diversity of the field and the fact that six racers have posted fast lap times between 4.603 and 4.889 seconds per lap.

GT1_Hist.jpg

GT1_James.jpg

GT1_Rich.jpg

GT1_Rich2.jpg

GT1_Rich3.jpg

GT1_Bob.jpg

GT1_Joe.jpg

GT1_Ron3.jpg

GT1_Ron.jpg

GT1_Ron2.jpg

GT1_Mark.jpg

GT1_Scott.jpg