• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

I have a some of the new style Red Fox guides that IMO have too much wobble when installed. I have tried them on different cars and with different guide nuts, but they still wobble. Evidently they are threaded crooked or the post is crooked. I went ahead and raced them a couple of times and I didn't notice any weird effects, but surely less wobble is better isn't it? At the same time if guide wobble was real important I would think one of the ball bearing guide tongue setups would be more popular. How much wobble is acceptable? How much is too much?

#2 philk

philk

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

Ive had a few to with crooked posts and lots of warping, mostly the graphite ones. The HP guides are a lot nicer looking molded part.
Phil Kreuter

#3 Upfront slot cars

Upfront slot cars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

Its more important to make sure that your guide is free under a load. Id suggest keep tightening and loosening the nut till you find the speed on the clock. We found loose or wobbly guides faster than one that is tight with no play . Remember you race on the track under a load with G force. Also its prety obvious you see mike Swiss red fox guides on the podium more than any other guides available! If you cant beat them , join them.
  • S.O. Watt, Kevan, philk and 1 other like this
Andrew Ford

#4 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:44 AM

A little bit of wobble is better than little bit of bind.

• tonyp, Half Fast, swodem and 1 other like this

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

I have a some of the new style Red Fox guides that IMO have too much wobble when installed. I have tried them on different cars and with different guide nuts, but they still wobble. Evidently they are threaded crooked or the post is crooked. I went ahead and raced them a couple of times and I didn't notice any weird effects, but surely less wobble is better isn't it? At the same time if guide wobble was real important I would think one of the ball bearing guide tongue setups would be more popular. How much wobble is acceptable? How much is too much?

Who threaded them?

Red Fox does not sell threaded guides.

I've threaded probably about 3K-4K of the new style, both in nylon and graphite, and never have had a complaint on the straightness, and occasionally get someone going out of their way, to compliment how straight they were.

I doubt all I do are spectacular, but racers who order threaded, reorder threaded, so they must find them adequate.

So while the flag itself is less than perfectly molded, I haven't noticed the post being any different than others, other than being slightly larger in diameter.

As far as when there is wobble, usually NBD.

I remember looking at local racer, Mike Braidman's I15 car, after he beat all the meter kings at the 92' Nats, at Zeppelin.

Thinking of all the time I spent, getting my guides wobble free, I laughed out loud, how sloppy his guide was.

I'm not saying wobble free is bad, guide return is 10 times more important.

We just had a hard body race on Saturday, where a returning racer probably lost at least five laps from his car not being easy to marshall.

His guide actually seemed to rotate free, but he must have had too much lead wire, and it just wouldn't quite center properly.
  • tonyp, philk and Jesse Gonzales like this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#6 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

In my limited experience, wobble has not effected me in any way Im aware of. However, binding has caused lots of anguish. I can testify to hours of looking in all the wrong places for deslotting issues that were suddenly resolved when binding of the guide was finally identified. Most insidious is a temporary or transient binding that is, in my experience, often caused by flawed lead wire management.

I clearly recall 4 hours of torture in practice when my car refused to exit the donut without deslotting on a Blue King. I tried a panoply of tire types, widths and wheels. Different weighting configurations. All was resolved when I realized my lead wire caught a simple chassis upright when turned a bit. This catching of the lead wire immobilized the guide for that brief moment necessary to deslot the car.

As Mike so correctly notes, return of the guide to battery after a deslot is also critical to successfull racing. To me, its about correct lead wire positioning and management to keep the guide centered. No binding allowed when turned in both directions. Wobble? Sometimes I have a bit, sometimes not. Doesnt seem to register in importance. As always, YMMV.
Mark Bauer

#7 philk

philk

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

I always and still do try to get guides wobble free but in my case learning a little better trigger control would probably be more helpful, lol, but this reminds me I need to get a few more guides from Mike.
Phil Kreuter

#8 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

I agree about the importance of a self centering guide and I always make sure my race cars have them. And I have never had a deslot that I could attribute to a wobbly guide, but it just seems like a guide with little or no wobble would have more consistent contact and handling. All of the Red Fox guides I have had problems with have been the graphite ones, some that I threaded and some that I had Mike thread. I haven't had the same problem with the nylon guides and now that Mike offers them weighted I will probably just use them. The HP guides seem to be much flatter and I can get them virtually wobble free. Also I just bought a ball bearing guide tongue, so I will be able to really test the difference between a wobbly guide and one with virtually no wobble at all!

#9 zipper

zipper

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

Wobble is a no-no on wing cars, when accelerating you get soon a rabbit car.

Pekka Sippola

Electric Dreams Online Shop