#1 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

Hi All,

I don't race at this point in my life because there isn't a track within driving distance of my home that has like minded racers I can join to do what we all profess to love, slot car racing. I make stuff to race, buy parts and materials and build away knowing that they will be obsolete or have quirks when run hard but do it anyway. I'm having fun, there are others out there that make things and rarely race them but get a huge kick out of building trick motors, chassis etc. Fun is what this is all about so why do some of us seem to want to take the fun out of slot cars?

I saw on FB where some racers (using the term loosely) had attacked a guy who has done a lot for slots in AZ over the years. That turned me off to making the two hour drive to that track as most of those guys and I would have little to nothing in common as I don't do drag racing and don't hang with whiners and back stabbers. losing sight of what slot cars were supposed to be, a way to have fun and build friendships.

My fun is keeping touch with guys across the country that used to be racers when I was a racer, they are now makers of things that I could spend hours talking concept and new things to try. I'm now forcibly retired due to a failing body but these guys are still doing it as it's their livelihood so I try not to take too much time from them. They seem to have kept it fun for them too so I am happy for them

Remember, it's supposed to be fun, heck I made peace with a guy that I had held a grudge on for 45 years because it's not fun. Next time you see a guy that ticked you off, buy them a beer and talk.

Jess Gonzales

• Tim Neja, Lou E, Peter Horvath and 4 others like this

#2 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:25 PM

Keep on building Jesse, fun is an excellent elixir...

• Jesse Gonzales likes this

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#3 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

Proof isn't very far, look at John Havlicek, he has fun with his chosen hobby and craft. It appears you are having fun making motors too. I have a lot of NOS stuff from the old days that I would not ever part with, some of my arms some Pooches and Steubes all obsolete but all have good memories tied to them.

Jess

• Geary Carrier likes this

#4 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

you're a lucky guy, Jess.

Speed

• Geary Carrier and Jesse Gonzales like this
Steve Lang

#5 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:09 PM

(most of my old stuff like that is long lost, so trying to recreate it is very difficult.)

Steve Lang

#6 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:15 PM

Next time you see a guy that ticked you off, buy them a beer and talk.

That's probably why they pissed me off in the first place, I'd buy them a beer but all they ever did was talk when it was time for them to buy me a beer. 

• Pablo, Geary Carrier, Roy Lievanos and 1 other like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

#7 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:47 PM

I have some NOS Thorp blanks that made really good C can opens along with good Essex wire and Kirkwood comms in case someone decides racing C can opens again. Now that would be fun, big bellowing motors pushing around sleds.

Most all of my old racing buddies from 60's & 70's have died or cannot be found. I miss the post race go karting, slalom racing our sports cars and pizza and beer after a race so now I make stuff. Speaking of that I need to wind an arm or two for buddies in other states to have fun with.

Jess

• SpeedyNH likes this

#8 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

That's why I am restoring my old crap. I'm glad I didn't throw it all away, because it brings back the days when I was a teenager

and didn't have a worry in the world. Halcyon days, for sure.

• Lou E, SpeedyNH and Jesse Gonzales like this

#9 Lou E

Lou E

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

Unfortunately there will always be people who feel the need to win at all costs I order to find fulfillment in their lives, what is truly unfortunate is that those people push away not only slot car fans but also newcomers to the hobby.

We are all playing with TOY cars, I think it’s important to always remember that.
  • Eddie Fleming and Jesse Gonzales like this
Lou Esteves

#10 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:19 PM

There are many racers who consider the "F" word (fun) obscene. Some have the idea that winning by destoying the competition, perrsonally or on the track, is the point of their lives. It's sad.

I think it was much worse in the 70s and 80s than it is now. The amount of cut-throatery in those times was insane but wasn't discussed publically. The internet is an amplifier for the bad side of things. Unfortunate but true.

• SpeedyNH and Jesse Gonzales like this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#11 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

The only person that is likely to attract my ire is me - for sloppy preparation or inattentive driving - and even there I am, of late, giving myself a pass, claiming senior citizen status.

There are certainly many branches of the hobby in which I choose not to participate but then, I don't like oysters either.  I do selectively read about them on this forum (the only on-line source that I visit that has significant coverage of them) to learn of ideas and techniques that I can co-opt for my preferred building activities.

At the end of the day it is, indeed, all about fun and that, for me, is defined as solving new problems e.g. building a competitive car within the confines of the class definition I choose to observe and learning new things - I'm part way through the 157 page manuaL for the CNC software that will control a recently acquired table top mill.

EM

Alan Schwartz

#12 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

The only person that is likely to attract my ire is me - for sloppy preparation or inattentive driving - 

To some, that is winning at all costs. You need to show up at the race as ill prepared as your competition, just to be fair.

I've said it before, you only get out of anything what you put into it.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

Electric Dreams Online Shop