• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

Our next NJ Vintage race will be on Thursday evening June 20 at: The Race Place, 1151 Rt-33, Farmingdale, NJ 07727  732-938-5215. Raceway opens at 6pm, racing to start at 7pm. $5 race fee.   

1) Mid-'60s era 36D-powered cars, any manufacturer production inline or sidewinder chassis, any body, stock motors.

Not allowed: scratchbuilt or pan chassis.

if enough time the second race:

2) American Line Sportsman/Hot Rod kit cars- also 36D-powered cars

Our Vintage racing series will add a few more classes soon: 36D production anglewinder, vintage Jail Door, early 70's anglewinder. Will test the ProSlot PS-4001s for the jail door and 70's anglewinder classes. We currently hold monthly races at Dom's Raceway in Cream Ridge on Saturdays and The Race Place on Rt. 33 in Farmingdale on Thursdays, alternating months. As more racers join in for the fun we will move around to other raceways.

We also participate in the C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club which meets on the first Thursday night of each month at The Race Place in Farmingdale for all things related to all scales of vintage slot car collecting, restoring, and more. Feel free to join in with us and check out what we are doing at any of our events.

The Vintage Races are more for fun than all out competitive racing, as we all respect each others cars and try to avoid crashing them, and at the same time, you can tune any of these 50+ year old cars to perform well. The American Line kit cars, which are more of a retro car kit with a nos 36D motor, are the ones we tend to race harder. Our way to revisit mid 1960's racing with real vintage cars on real vintage tracks. 

NJ Vintage races are sponsored by NJ Scale Racing.

cars from our last race:

IMG_1498.JPG

• DE38, Pete L., Lou E and 2 others like this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:17 PM

after looking again at the cars raced last month, i see that there is one Corvette, 2 Cheetahs, and the rest are Thingies! A few of these cars use repop bodies- the rest are originals!! And my favorite rear tire choice in 36D vintage racing are the soft compound Candies. For those who plan to check out our Vintage Racing series, there are always a few loaner cars available.

Wanna race Vintage, but go faster than a 1966 era big can car? Stay tuned- Vintage Anglewinder and Jail door classes are coming, using new and more powerful motors. So for you Retro racers, we will have a classes  that should be right up your alley. 

• Pete L. likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#3 sizzlerdom

sizzlerdom

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:43 PM

Jimmy and Dom will be there as close to 6pm as possible . Thursday night June 20, 2019
Dominick Roselli
Dom's Raceway

#4 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

thanks Dom (and Jimmy), and most of the C.A.R.S. Vintage Club guys will be there as well. Should be another good turn out. 

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#5 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:57 PM

Working on the vintage race cars getting ready for Thursday's Vintage Races at The Race Place in Farmingdale NJ.

Peter J. Linszky

#6 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

and here are the official race results:   36D powered cars on The Red Lightning

racer                                         total laps                                  fast lap time/lane  

1) Jimmy Roselli                              171                                          7.632641  green

2) Glenn Orban                                166                                          8.015517  yellow

3) Pete Linszky                                157                                          7.687080  blue

4) Dom Roselli                                 155                                          7.914032  green   

5) Rodney Ford                                138                                          8.132297  blue

6) Rob Rieu                                      137                                          8.617056  blue

7) Lou Esteves                                 136                                          6.867157  blue

Another fun vintage race, and once again- many thingies on the track. There were some issues during the race though: Jimmy's Classic Viper's motor crapped out so he had to use his back up car- a Garvic Firebird GTX1000 to make it to the finish line. Pete's car, another Viper, was really fast down the main straight into the bank, guess he worked out all of the issues from past races. Rodney's starting car was involved in a crash in the first lap, and had to come out, so he to needed a back-up car. But, later in the race, he performed some slot car magic and the starting car was back on the track, and handling great! This was his second attempt at racing this new build, and I think Rodney also got the bugs worked out, so watch for an expected better finish at our next race.  Rob's VW Beetle was a slippin' and a slidin', so maybe it needs a new set of rears? And our newest racer- Lou also raced a new build, with real 60's rear tires that were old, dried out and dirty before the race. A sanding and treating with my secret sauce- spf50 sunscreen- and he had good traction!

IMG_1583.JPG

Lou's pit box of newly acquired vintage cars.

IMG_1584.JPG

Rodney at work

IMG_1585.JPG

my vintage anglewinders that will be 2 new classes in the near future: small can motors and 36D motors

IMG_1587.JPG

a few more of my cars, including 3 of my 36D racers

IMG_1588.JPG

some of Rob's huge collection of vintage racers

IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590.JPG

the full field, from top to bottom: my Garvic Chaparral, Rob's VW Beetle, Pete's Classic Viper, Jimmy's Garvic Firebird, Lou's Dynamic Bandit, Rodney's Dynamic Cobra GT, Dom's Garvic Lunar. If I remember correctly, I think that the cars with the most original mid 1960's vintage parts were Lou's Dynamic Bandit and my Chaparral with Garvic chassis ( I even used a vintage guide flag and braid). And I think that Rob's Beetle was a real hodge podge of vintage parts used to complete his car. Bonus goes to Dom though- he used a real vintage race controller. I wish I took a picture of it! I think it was a Thoric? Dom will have to reply with details and maybe a photo. The only parts that were not of 1960's origin on any of the cars were tires, some repop bodies, and maybe guide flags and braid, otherwise we are racing as close to 1966 era as possible. 

I know that there are a lot of guys with vintage cars out there, so dust a few off and join in for the fun! Maybe I will play some 1966 era music in the background next time......

And as I mentioned above- two new race classes for the near future- take a look at the photo with my 4 anglewinder cars: from the left, a nickel plated chassis sold by several makers and next is a brass chassis, as sold by Parma. I plan to track test these cars with the new ProSlot 37,000 rpm motor PS-4001. the third and fourth cars from the left are brass chassis with 36D motors, Associated (?) and Riggen.  

Another class will be scratchbuilt jaildoor type chassis, also with the ProSlot PS-4001 motor and Thingie bodies. Time to dig out those old o-ring fronts again! We will allow both real vintage era built chassis as well as newly built chassis. And with so many different types of newly built jaildoor cars being sold on Epay, here and elsewhere I expect to see lots of cars being raced. 

Another suggestion thrown out there: Parma Womp Womps! I have an old pit box full of them too, so lots of loaners. Again, I know that a lot of racers out there that have Womps, so dust them off too and back onto the track for a wild race. We also raced Jail Door cars this weekend at Dom's Raceway, see the photos and results in a separate post. Thanks once again to the C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club members for making this another good Vintage Race. Pete had created this club many years ago and has kept it alive all of these years- thanks Pete! 

IMG_1592.JPG

the podium: myself, Jimmy and Peter

• DE38 and Lou E like this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#7 Rob Rieu

Rob Rieu

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:35 AM

Glenn,

Nice write-up and thanks for pulling this together!

I've run a different 36D car in each race so far and am now tuning up some more for future races.

Rob

• Pete L. likes this
Regards,

Rob Rieu

#8 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

Hi Rob, you have such a large collection of old racers and we all enjoy the variety of cars that you race. I have 3-4 36D cars to choose from and i also rotate them. 

Our next race will be on Saturday July 20 at Dom's Raceway, so watch for that announcement soon. If you have any old Womps, get them ready to race, as that is the next class that we will add to our racing schedule. 

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

Electric Dreams Online Shop