Photo

What should happen if a racer forgets to...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

What should happen if a racer forgets to come in on red lane when he should have?

The setting is that we had 10 racers and decided to run a round robin (out on white; in on red). So a racer forgot to go in on red when he should have and missed the entire heat. After the race is over, we resolve all ties on the lap counter system and pick up our cars. Then after that is completed, the raceway owner decides to add 27 laps to this racers total. 27 laps is the average of the fastest racers per heat. I doubt that this racer would get 27 laps on red. Adding 27 laps ties this racer 2 other racers who have already picked up their cars. Now what do you think happened? What should have happened?

Yes, this is going to turn into a rant.

Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#2 elinsley

elinsley

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:33 AM

Should of added laps he had and divided by 7 to get the average laps he ran and added that to his total. Doesnt matter what any other racer ran but the raceway owner is always entitled to run their race as they see fit

• old & gray likes this
Eric Linsley

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

If I were the racer that failed to come in on red I would take the 0 and say move on. If the race director wants to give a new racer his average laps I would have no problem with that even though it is probably a generous count for red.

As for the late call after the cars are picked up the racer getting the laps gets his car positioned just past the lap counter.

• Pappy, brnursebmt, team burrito and 5 others like this
Eddie Fleming

#4 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:04 AM

" too bad so sad"  "you snooze you lose" "pay attention"

• Pappy, brnursebmt, DE38 and 8 others like this

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing
Color Me Gone

Romans 1:16 "... for I am not ashamed of the Gospel"

#5 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

I've seen this happen at several tracks. Usually, the RD adds a number of laps to give the guy a break. IMO,

it is up to the racer to keep track of when he is to come in. In real racing, you have a call to grid. If you are not

on grid when the last call is announced, you go to the back of the grid. If you are not on grid when the cars

start their pace lap, you have to start from the pit lane after the green flag is shown. But in some race 

organizations, failure to be on grid when the pace lap starts means a DNS, or did not start. For slot racing,

there is no pace lap, and cars start from a standing grid, and cars rotate off the track when there are more

entries than lanes. The racers have to keep track of when they come back in, and where on the track they

came off. Most timing systems show who is next up, so keeping track of when they come in should be easy.

My gripe is the guy who can't remember where he came off, so he starts in front of the driver's stand. If the

dead strip is past the driver's stand, he gets some free distance. Not fair to the other racers.

• DOCinCocoa likes this

#6 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

Pay attention period.
  • Bernie likes this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#7 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

Wow, seems pretty simple.  It's your car, your preparation, your entry, your drive to the track to participate, your corner to marshal, your obligation to keep current, your responsibility to follow the order of racing the lane.  If we all had to be dragged by the nose to know the relay and to put our car on the correct color it would make for a long day. Without knowing anything else my inclination would be "snooze ya lose".

Now, I did have an actual incident when a section of the lane I was in (black) had a power outage that I had nothing to do with.  I would get to the section and the car would go dead.  After a few track calls, some accusative looks from my fellow racers that I was racing flawed or broken equipment and an unmeasured time it was resolved that my lane was busted.  A track wiring issue was identified and repaired.  I completed the lane but produced a fraction of the laps expected due to reduced time.  For this, I was granted the average laps of my other 7 lanes of racing.  I wasn't contending for a podium position anyway so it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  I thought that a very fair way to settle the issue. 

But that's comparing cheese to chalk. 

Mark

• Pappy, triggerman and DOCinCocoa like this
Mark Bauer

#8 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

Sorry, that's the fault of the racer, and not anyone else.  Totally unfair to the other 9 racers.  

And if the racer can;t remember where he came off, he should start just past the lap counter strip

• Pappy, team burrito, Half Fast and 2 others like this
"Whatever..."

#9 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:42 PM

Everywhere I've raced they announced after each heat who was going out and who was coming in. And I don't recall anyone ever forgetting to come in.

But I agree with the zero laps sentiment. Don't depend on someone else to remind you. If you forget, that's on you. Especially with only 2 sit outs. Jeez, that's pretty pathetic.

• Shiggy and Jesse Gonzales like this

Phil Smith ® ©

#10 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

That's how Mike Swiss does it. But we still have people too busy talking to hear the announcement.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this

#11 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

What makes this even better is that the 6 month long championship depended on how this matter was handled.

If I missed a heat because I was snoozing, I would never expect or accept any laps to be given to me. Its my fault and I would have to accept the consequences.

• Pappy, brnursebmt, Phil Hackett and 1 other like this
Doc Dougherty
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio

#12 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

Were you the only one that had a problem with it? I would think it would have incited a riot.

Phil Smith ® ©

#13 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

No difference than when a racer at a big event oversleeps and misses the first heat: 0 laps. PAY ATTENTION!

Let's stop this "Everyone gets a trophy" trend that's been going around for 20+ years. It's doing nothing but encouraging the development of snowflakes.

• Mike Patterson, Dallas Racer and boxerdog like this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#14 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

Should of added laps he had and divided by 7 to get the average laps he ran and added that to his total. Doesnt matter what any other racer ran but the raceway owner is always entitled to run their race as they see fit

Ultimately this is reality. The shop owner/race director is the one in charge.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#15 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

If it's a weekly race and he is just starting out I would give him a mulligan.  After that he owns the mistake.

• DOCinCocoa likes this
A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#16 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:10 PM

Weekly race, no problem. A 6 month long state championship, yea, I have a big problem with this. Besides, why would anyone think that this racer would have gotten 27 laps on red which is typically difficult due to the dead man turn with other racers crashing and ending up in the red lane. 

• tonyp likes this
Doc Dougherty

#17 Danny Zona

Danny Zona

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

No difference than when a racer at a big event oversleeps and misses the first heat: 0 laps. PAY ATTENTION!

Let's stop this "Everyone gets a trophy" trend that's been going around for 20+ years. It's doing nothing but encouraging the development of snowflakes.

I throw participation plaques away.

It's not my cup of tea. To each their own though.
  • tonyp likes this
Test, test, test and go test some more.
You're never fast enough!!! 💯

Luck is the residue of design.

KELLY RACING 😎

#18 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

Participation plaques are kinda like concert T-shirts or MAGA hats or Linus' blanket, if they make you feel better, they make you feel better.

Kids like them because they're celebratory, not because they signify excellence.

King of the hill racing is like the Highlander and war and carnivores, but reality is that just having fun and pleasant social interaction is more about us omnivores, and slot car racing lets us play either way anyway.

YOMV 

As far as the thread topic, the racer should have been told to get his act together for the next race and not received any extra laps.

• NSwanberg and Rotorranch like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#19 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

Should be a non-issue. You missed the heat, you missed the laps too! He won't do it again!

No issue at all!

Rotor

• DOCinCocoa likes this
Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#20 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:14 PM

Red lane is fast and he could of ran 28 on it and only got 27. Also it wasnt decided to give said person after the race. It was told to him as soon as he figured he sat out a extra lane. You also beat him showing your sticker in your hand not on the track.
Brian Ambrose

#21 Phil Beukema

Phil Beukema

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:57 PM

I'm sure that if the racer reads all these you're a "loser", " too bad so sad",  "you snooze you lose" posts, he'll hurry back to race next time.

I'll bet the track owner and other racers won't mind if one more guy drops out, after all, he is a "pathetic" "snowflake". Who needs him, there are plenty of fish in the sea.......right?

"Line 'em up!"

#22 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

What was he doing while off the track. If he was distracted helping another racer then make allowance for it. Average the other 7 lanes.

I forgot to come in here on my own track because I was showing some other racers something. I took my lumps.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

#23 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Did the race director inform the driver that he was due back on?

If not, I can see why he was awarded laps.

Cheers

• Phil Beukema likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#24 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

Pappy he was turn marshaling.

Half fast,,, no he wasn't told he was on deck.

Phil,,, wow you have no idea what youre talking about.

Doc,,, why are you complaining,,, after all you did finish in front of said lane skipper????

Said person was told he would be giving his lap average over the 7 lanes he ran before the start of said person going to green which was well before the end of the race.
  • Phil Beukema likes this
Brian Ambrose

#25 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:28 PM

Brian, I am wondering where this stops. Should a racer who breaks a lead wire due to a crash he did not cause, should he get laps added to his total????

To answer a couple questions above, I don't know if the racers name was called. I heard racers names called all race long, so I assume that his name was called to come in a red. 

This racer was turn marshalling when he should have been running on red.

Also, I want to make this very clear: I do not have any issue with the race director of that specific race.

Another also: I have not mentioned any names and this is not personal. I want to know what other racers think about this matter. By reading the above responses, I got my answer.

Can one of the moderators, close down this topic, please.

Doc Dougherty

Electric Dreams Online Shop