9 replies to this topic

#1 MattD

MattD

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

I hope that a PBS show on the Rangers and the Pointe-Du-Hoc assault will be re-played so most of you get a chance to watch it. It is a great show honoring the Rangers and the scaling of the cliffs. Considering most of us guys knew/know WWII veterans and have so much respect for all military and especially the greatest generation, I know you will all enjoy it and get a lump in your throat when you watch it.    I have it on DVR from last week, but probably it will be shown again.   

What a tremendous group of men. They make me proud to be an American. 

I thank all veterans for their service.
  • Cheater, Pappy, Pablo and 7 others like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,476 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:00 PM

Not to change the subject but there is a mini-series called "A Fighter Pilot's Story" that is shown on PBS from time to time that is fantastic. The guy narrating the video tells his whole story from when he first enlisted in the army in WWII and how he became a fighter pilot and all the things that happened to him during the war. Fantastic story.

They were indeed the "Greatest Generation."
  • Bryan Warmack and MattD like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

#3 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

Might want to remember that 77 years ago today that the Battle of Midway happened.

• triggerman likes this
Tom Eatherly

#4 Martin

Martin

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

I will never forget my granddad. He was active in WWI and WWII. I thank all efforts to keep us free. Without there sacrifice who knows how it would have effected our lives.

You said it, Matt, greatest generation. Great-full. Just wish I had been mature enough to realize what his life had been and to thank him face to face.
  • Pappy and MattD like this
Martin Windmill

#5 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,476 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

I met and talked to Lieutenant Commander George H. Gay Jr. in Oshkosh, WI, during the EAA Experimental Aircraft fly in in about 1980. He had a booth and was selling autographed copies of his book. I wish I had bought one but at that time I had never heard of him and didn't know what he went through. They show him in the movie Midway.

George H. Gay Jr.
  • Cheater likes this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

#6 MattD

MattD

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:32 PM

Great story, Pappy, one I didn't know before.     

There is a recently-released book about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. I borrowed it from my son in law and don't remember the title. It was a great read, but terribly sad about the loss of life. Sharks probably killed more men then the Jap attack. Initially they put blame on the captain, but this book and history has exonerated him.   

We can never say enough about these men and their sacrifice.
  • Cheater likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

George Gay resided in Marietta, GA, just a bit north of me, in his later years. I never met him but his story, and that of the famous USS Hornet's VT-8 "Torpedo Eight" squadron, is familar to anyone who has studied the history of WWII in the Pacific. That unit's sacifice basically enabled the sinking of at least three of the Japanese carriers in a battle that most consider the turning point of the Pacific war. As Martin mentioned, yesterday, June 4, was the date when Torpedo 8 made their courageous and largely fatal attack.

If you don't know the story, here's a a LINK that will tell you all about it.

vt-8.jpg

Ensign George Tex Gay, pictured with Torpedo Eight's other USS Hornet-based pilots, earned unasked-for fame at Midway. In the end, his cremated ashes were scattered over the area of ocean where 29 of his VT-8 comrades perished after he passed away in October 1994.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

The video Dale B. mentions in this post is called "D-Day at Pointe-Du-Hoc," and is available for purchase on Amazon Prime. It should be viewable on numerous PBS stations around the country over the next few weeks. It's a 2019 production and doesn't yet seem to be viewable for free anywhere I can find.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

There is a recently-released book about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.

That should be "Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in US Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man," by Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic, which just was released in May of 2019. I'll have to get a copy to go along with the several other books in my library about this tragedy.

It's only $11.80 in hardback from Amazon, using the link giving above. It has received terrific reviews.

Gregory Wells

#10 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,476 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:09 AM

I got up at 4:30 this morning and turned the TV on at 5:00. The D-Day celebration was just beginning. It was fantastic but the one thing that really bothers me is news broadcasters that can't pronounce the word "Veteran." They pronounce it "Vetrin," they are not Vetrins, they are "Veterans." 

I can't wait to hear how the news broadcasters spin what the President said.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Electric Dreams Online Shop