31 replies to this topic

#1 Fernan Dotriveri

Fernan Dotriveri

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

Hi,

In our club we're having a controversy about the JK Hawk Retro and JK Hawk 7 motor specs. Please can you tell me what's the difference between them? Perhaps the number of armature wire turns? Which one is better in terms of performance?

Your answer about this subject will be very appreciated. I've searched the web but I haven't found any conclusive information.

Many regards from Córdoba, Argentina.

#2 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

All I can tell you is that the JK Hawk 7 is slightly faster than the JK Hawk Retro. If your track is difficult to drive you might want to go with the Hawk Retro. If your track has a lot of banking in the turns, then maybe you might get more enjoyment with the Hawk 7.

A search will find the difference in the winding and timing of the commutator.

Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,194 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

The JK Hawk Retro is a IRRA® approved motor and as such the motor's specs can be found in the IRRA® motor rules.

• 65 turns of 30 AWG wire

• Stack length - .390"
• Arm timing - 15 degrees nominal, commutator tied
• Diameter - .513"

The Hawk 7 isn't an IRRA® approved motor so that motor's specs are not available in the rules.

• Fernan Dotriveri likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

Like the previous two posts state, the Hawk Retro is 65t and and not quite as fast as the Hawk 7.

The Hawk 7, if I remember correctly, is 58 or 59 turns of the same gauge wire, and has the same timing.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#5 russm2002

russm2002

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Hawk 7 is 60 turns of 30, Retro Hawk, 65 turns of 30. Otherwise the same.

• Cheater, MSwiss and Greg VanPeenen like this
Russ Martin
Scale and Wing racer
I just wanna go fast!

#6 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

The Hawk Retro is correct as specified.

The Hawk 7 has 3 fewer turns and everything else is the same (except for shaft armature shaft length on the M8).
  • Cheater, Ramcatlarry, Tim Neja and 4 others like this

Tim Homola
JK Products

#7 russm2002

russm2002

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

I stand corrected!! Learn something new every day!

• Cheater likes this
Russ Martin
Scale and Wing racer
I just wanna go fast!

#8 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

I disagree about everything is the same on the Hawk 7 and Hawk Retro. I believe the RPM is different. Hawk 7 is usually more consistant and faster motor side by side. Hell, what do I know. BPR Thursday night racing. 

Curious why don't they use a Hawk 7 in the races like a ISRA or OCC  or even out here for a SCRRA group race; they cost the same.  :victory:

Tim Wood

Tim Wood 

#9 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Tim,

Read what you posted and think. They do use the H7 on Thursday and less winds mean more RPM, i.e. faster. The IRRA® and SCRRA set an arm spec for their motors of use and the H7 doesn't meet the spec; easy to know why.

jason

#10 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Thanks, Jason.

Yeah, we use the Hawk 7 in Thursday night LMP race. This is why I would think the Hawk 7 is much more consistant across the board than the Hawk Retro RRRRRRRR. You can buy one Hawk 7 compared to purchasing three Hawk Retros just to get a good motor. Check the times on the racers on Thursday and look how close they are. More fun racing this way and the motor is faster.

I would think the boards on these groups could change the specs on motors allowed. So the H7 doesn't meet the spec, easy to know why. I seem to be missing something here. 

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Wood 

#11 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

You are racing Thursday night, apparently just on the flat track.

Are you buying three Hawk Retros to find a good one to race on the flat track or the King?

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#12 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,086 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

Tim,

If the racing groups changed motors every time they turned around, people would have piles of motors that are no longer useful or competitive. IRRA® has already gone through this twice, and once was with the same motor, just different batches. 

Constantly changing motor specs is a sure way to drive off racers.  

IMO, of course...

• Cheater, MSwiss, Half Fast and 1 other like this
"Whatever..."

#13 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

You are racing Thursday night, apparently just on the flat track.

Are you buying three Hawk Retros to find a good one to race on the flat track or the King?

Hey Mike,

On Thursday we run H7 LMP. The SCRRA races both Flat and King, F1 & Can-Am Use Hawk Retro for both tracks. Can Run a TSR or Falcon 7 on flat track if you have one. Those are hard to come by anymore. Thats why I am saying H7 I can buy 1 or 2 at a time and get a good motor maybe 2 are good. As Retro Hawk buy 3 motors maybe you get luckey and get 1 good motor. I am still learning more on breaking motors in. So any suggestions is great. Water, Simple green, run low volts for 10 min at a time.  Tried a few differant ways. Seems best just to run H7 or Retro Hawk on low volts off and on until you get brushes almost seated. Still learning the ropes but that is part of the fun of it. I just think H7 could work on what ever track or cars you run. Almost forgot at BPR 1/32 flexi GTP on the small Kingleman they went from Retro Hawk to now using Hawk 7 cars still handle great and times are faster and pretty even across the board. I just H7  is more consistant motor. Fast is good. I understand trying to keep  consistant rules across the differant associations makes sense so if you travel to race, classes are some what the same or familar and or chassis, bodies, ect. Probably through the years Associations have changed motors over time cause some are not made any more. But now you have a few you can choose from. Some people might have 50 Retro Hawks in there garage but what for if they don't produce, Same with H7. Got to have a fast motor to compete. I have just had better luck with consistantcy with the H7 that's all.  Thanks for listening

Tim Wood

Tim Wood 

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

So you don't use the Hawk 7, on the King, in any class?

Mike Swiss

#15 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:34 PM

we have been using the phoenix motor in both LMP and our wing cars on the king. A couple of weeks ago a few guys asked if we could do a Hawk 7 LMP race on the king same day as the Phoenix LMP race.

Hopefully this thursday we will get enough guys to bring H7 cars to race

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#16 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

I just don't see how 2 motors, made in same factory, with virtually the same specs(3 turn difference) could wind up with one way more consistent.

More likely, the perception is the product of one being raced on only a technical track, and in a totally different type of car.

• Pablo likes this

Mike Swiss

#17 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

I just don't see how 2 motors, made in same factory, with virtually the same specs(3 turn difference) could wind up with one way more consistent.

More likely, the perception is the product of one being raced on only a technical track, and in a totally different type of car.

I know you're just quoting Tim in regard to the "3 turns" but it's actually 6 turns (I just counted them) -- HR 65 turns, H7 59 turns.  

I agree with your opinion that H7's would not likely be more consistent than HR's or visa versa. 

I'm happy to say that my experience over the last few months regarding the 9-R's short-shaft HR's and the 9-7's H7's is that they are consistently fast.

I prefer the HR because the brakes tend to stay better for a longer period of time.

Also it kinda seems like there are fewer of the 2-speed (aka 2-step) and slow-when-cold and it's-a-dog problems with the HR's as opposed to the H7's.  However, going a lot higher on the gearing than Tim's recommended 3:1 ratio with .750 tires (from another thread), often solves those problems.

In other words, if the car is geared 36/12, I'll regear it to 36/13.  This often makes the car competitive enough to be worth racing.

• Ralph Thorne likes this

#18 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

At higher voltages, the differences between mediocre, average, and stellar are more pronounced on weaker motors such as a retro hawk as compared to H7.

Turn down the power and retro hawks become more consistent in hp. Its why most any retro hawk is good on Modelvilles Royal at 10v
  • Phil Beukema likes this
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

Are you sure it's because of the low voltage, or the the length and configuration of the track?

IOW, try running 10V on the Gerding King, and see if it still holds true.

Mike Swiss

#20 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

Swiss- Im certain that track length will also be an influencing factor. However, bench testing has demonstrated some of what I said.

In the end, Im still amazed at the consistency in general, considering the price point.

I have no complaints
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#21 CDavis7

CDavis7

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

Swiss- out of curiosity, have you tried comparing a hot versus not retro hawk on your king? Then turned down the power to compare?

Thatd be cool to see
Chris Davis
3d-Racing

#22 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,079 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

No.

Testing like that is for raceway owners who don't have a landlord who likes her rent on time every month. LOL.

• CDavis7 likes this

Mike Swiss

#23 Ron Sullo

Ron Sullo

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

Fact or Fiction

After the Simple Green 10 second spin followed by hot water 10 second spin followed by air dry blower then a spritz of Performance or CDC then 30 minutes of leaving them alone and checking the comm sparkle and brush seating - adding a bit of lube on endbell side before 5-7 minutes on 4 volts... I then check the amps pulled and make notes.

The above process comes from hours of reading (Slotblog only) best practices from distinguished racers. JK's RH and H7 package directions state otherwise.

IMO this blog opens a window for me to ask - without being too embarrassed - to learn if the following is fact or fiction:

Will the HR/H7 motor with the lower amp reading after the break-in be the silver bullet of choice?

Respectfully submitted,

Have a nice day.  :)

Ron S.

Ron Sullo

"... the future is uncertain and the end is always near - let it roll, baby, roll..." 

#24 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:01 AM

Typically you want the motors that draw more amps.
  • boxerdog likes this
David Parrotta

#25 Ron Sullo

Ron Sullo

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

Great advice from a great racer !

Ron Sullo

"... the future is uncertain and the end is always near - let it roll, baby, roll..." 

Electric Dreams Online Shop