14 replies to this topic

#1 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Brining works in two ways. First, the salt alters the protein structures inside the meat. It basically allows the cells to retain more moisture, effectively trapping water inside. When you cook the meat, some of that moisture evaporates but most of it remains. The brine also breaks down meat’s tough muscle fibers, preventing them from tightening up as they cook. These loose fibers are less likely to squeeze out water, so the meat stays nice and juicy. 

We might have a few marinade secrets up our sleeve, but brining is a no-recipe-required kind of event. Simply combine one tablespoon of salt for every cup of water. You’ll need enough water to completely cover the meat; usually, four cups of water (and 1/4 cup of salt) will do the trick.

Can you over-brine?
If you leave meat in the brine too long, it can definitely get too salty. Sometimes, you can fix it by soaking the meat in cold water to draw out the excess salt, but it doesn’t always work. If you really brine it for too long (as in, days too long), you can cause excess protein denaturing and make the meat mushy – and there’s no fixing that!

Any lean cut of meat will benefit from brining – especially chicken breasts, pork chops, pork tenderloin, shrimp, or fish. These types of meat don’t have a lot of intermuscular fat (or marbling) to keep them from drying out as they cook. The brine will all but guarantee you won’t end up with a chewy piece of dry meat!

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#2 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

Matt - do you have dry meat?

• Pappy and Rotorranch like this

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion & 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion & Retro Can-Am Champion

USSCA 2017 GTP & GT1 & Retro CanAm & 4" NASCAR & 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

#3 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

Not sure how to answer that, Jeff. I don't want to get in trouble with Cheater!!

• Pappy, Rotorranch and glueside like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#4 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

AOL? You must be a dinosaur, only really, really old people use AOL... :laugh2: :laugh2:

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing
Color Me Gone

Romans 1:16 "... for I am not ashamed of the Gospel"

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,801 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

Hey Kevin,

I fit that remark!   :laugh2:  :laugh2: I've been using AOL for about 20 years (after Compuserve quit being an ISP and AT&T messed up their access software)and& I am over 70. :clapping:

I do have a broadband connection rather than a dial-up. :good:

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#6 Roy Lievanos

Roy Lievanos

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

Ahh, the old dial-up tone. Wouldn't mind having that for a ring tone.

Yes, I am also a AOL.com user.

My cousin was just telling me about how he brines chicken and how it improves the texture. I have yet to try it.
2017 Western States " Retro Hawk F class " Champion
2017 USRA Div 1 Nats " F class " Champion
Thank you John and Dee Hale -Santa Ana Raceway circa 1968

#7 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

It doesn't bother me what people say about using  AOL. I hear it from my kids, too. They never mention that I also bought them their first computer, first car, got them through college, and educated so they can do all the internet and computer stuff they do.

I'm sure there are many skills  that a lot of us older, AOL users have that non-AOL users don't have! They might be computer savvy, but can their computer clean a fish or paint a car? Rebuild a transmission or build a house?

5947.JPG

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#8 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,801 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

If I cared what friends and relatives said about AOL, I'd have changed providers years ago. :laugh2:  :laugh2:

• MattD likes this

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#9 mickey thumbs

mickey thumbs

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

Matt, have you tried dry brining yet? Same end result and even easier process. Heavy salt rub, rest, rinse off excess and grill. No need for buckets of brine in the fridge. Currently my go-to method.
Mike Vernon

#10 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

Mike, I like to coat with seasoned salt and put in a baggie for a day or so. Is that about the same results? I'm going to try liquid brine on some chicken. I have the most trouble with chicken trying to keep it moist while making sure it is fully cooked.   

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,196 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 03:07 PM

I have the most trouble with chicken trying to keep it moist while making sure it is fully cooked.

Sounds like you're cooking mostly chicken breasts, where that is indeed a problem.

I've largely switched over to thighs, which are much more forgiving in terms of drying out. My favorite cut of the bird these days.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#12 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

I like thighs and breasts.

I cook almost exclusively on the Big Green Egg. Not fast food, but it's usually really juicy.

I do brine and/or marinate the meat first.

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#13 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

I don't do chicken at all anymore. I do fine with steak, burgers, ribs and sometimes chops (they must be 2 inch thick).   I'm going to try boneless breasts after soaking in brine at least a day. I do understand thighs are a moister piece of the chicken.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#14 mickey thumbs

mickey thumbs

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:21 PM

Be sure to avoid overcooking. Pull chicken breasts off the grill when internal temp in the thickest part next to the bone reads 160 degrees and thighs at 180. Let it rest 5-10 minutes before slicing. I use a cheap quick-read digital meat thermometer ($15). As I see it, only the pros need the $90 instant-read toys.
Mike Vernon

#15 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:08 AM

My former brother in law was the best meat cooker I had ever known but he had a little appreciated or known source of meats to cook. Iowa Beef, Pork and Chicken, that was the easy part Iowa, not from Iowa but butchered aged and cooked in Iowa. He made a box cooker I thing was an Arkansas Box out of plywood and he cooked meats etc that came out of those boxes that my wife and I still agree was the best we have ever eaten. No brineing done just simple dry rub while cooking and if sauce was asked for a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays and Wrights Smoke was put on.

If you get hold of Iowa meat, keep it simple an slow cook. Iowa Chops are fantastic, try them.

Drooling in AZ

Jess Gonzales

Electric Dreams Online Shop