• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

I see that some prefer oval track racing, and i am more of a road course racer. So- to those who are actively racing Womps- what types of tracks are you racing on? Ovals, or flat tracks, or high speed banked tracks? I have not formally raced a Womp since i purchased my first one, about 20 years ago. Just wondering how Womps perform at various types of tracks. Here in New Jersey a group of us are discussing to start racing these little babies again, and some guidance would help. I like the AWRA rules, will most likely use them. Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts. 

• Pete L. likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 blue&orange

blue&orange

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

I do both.  At Bloomsburg, PA I race Wednesday night oval over late fall/winter/spring.  We can use any manufacturer's chassis with no mods and slight offset. and silicone tires. After using motors that were too fast they settled on JK Hawk 25's.  Fast guys can run in the 2.6-2.7 second lap range.  We run Legends, Indy, Asphalt modified and others merely by switching bodies.  I know they run other classes on Saturdays.

At Trains and Lanes, Easton, we decided to do Womps for summer fun.  We race on the 220' Altec which is 95% flat with one HUGE bank.  Started with the AWRA Sportsman class with Hawks 7's with the idea it may bring in some new racers, and it did!  Some of us think the Hawk 7 is too much motor for a Womp, but we're doing it.  Added a second Fun Bug class with Pro Slot 4001 37,000 rpm motors and VW Beetle bodies.  The racing is really close in both classes. We alternate classes by week.  And it's just fun watching guys who usually race LMP and retro and Penn/Jersey cars thrashing on Womps.  If you are in northern NJ come check out the fun Sundays @ 3:00 (open practice at 2:00).

Chris Matthy

#3 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

Hi Chris, i actually just bought two of those ProSlot motors for testing in various chassis, should make for a perfect motor in a Womp. I was talking with another NJ racer last night about checking out the Womp racing at Trains n Lanes, we may just pop in some Sunday. I think i would try the fun VW Bug class, so i will put one togther and hope to see you guys some time. 

If we can get enough interest here in NJ to race Womps, do you think that some of your Pa guys would race with us? We race at The Race Place in Farmingdale, NJ and at Dom's Raceway in Cream Ridge. LMK, thanks 

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#4 mdiv

mdiv

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

Chris,

What kind of silicones do you run...supertires? 

We have raced the American Line Sportsman before and I had used a set of big foam tires that were silicone coated....they were Awesome!  I don't think they are made any longer.

Mike DiVuolo

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#5 bradblohm

bradblohm

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:15 PM

Chris,

What kind of silicones do you run...supertires? 

We have raced the American Line Sportsman before and I had used a set of big foam tires that were silicone coated....they were Awesome!  I don't think they are made any longer.

Hey Mike,

Pro Track makes several sizes of silicone coated foams.  We use the PTS250s on our womps in the Professor Motor shop.

Brad

• Pete L. likes this

Brad Blohm

#6 mdiv

mdiv

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:29 PM

Thank you, Brad!

I'll have a looksie, the ones I used were 1 1/8 or so.

Mike

Mike DiVuolo

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#7 blue&orange

blue&orange

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

On the Bloomsburg oval we run ProTrack .790 (#N299) or .825 (#N327) silicone coated rears and ProTrack .500 x 13/16 fronts (#219) for the Womp classes.  3 1/8" width, 1/8" offset allowed.  Not AWRA rules.  Parma controllers.  

Chris Matthy

#8 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas, looks like after some track testing that we will race Womps at The Race Place. I will make an announcement once i get a group of racers and cars. We will probably go with the JK Mini Brute motors, just have to do some more track testing. 

• Pete L. likes this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#9 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:45 PM

track tested some Womps on The Cyclone at The Race Place in Farmingdale, NJ and they love that track! So next i'll swap out the Parma 16D motor and try a new JK Mini Brute motor and back to The Cyclone for track test #2

Attached File  The Cyclone at The Race Place.jpg   94.9KB   0 downloads

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#10 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

The MB is a good motor for these. We loved the old Slick 7. We race on a flat oval

Electric Dreams Online Shop