• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slot_Outlaw_24

Slot_Outlaw_24

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

Just finished my first couple of cars about a week or two ago. Thought I'd show them off. The first one's a '69 Charger and the second one is a '83 Dodge/Shelby Charger GLH. The GLH was a vintage model that was made in 1984, so for my second car, I'm really glad I didn't screw it up.  :laugh2: 

69 Charger 1.JPG

69 Charger 2.JPG

69 Charger 3.JPG

83 GLH 1.JPG

83 GLH 2.JPG

83 GLH 3.JPG

Both cars are Parma Edges, and I can see why this is a recommended first car. The chassis is one piece, requires minimal soldering, and teaches you the basics of installing a motor, guide flag, wires, body posts, etc. Now I'm wondering what to do next and have a some questions. First, what chassis would you guys recommend for an amateur who knows the basics, and is looking for something a little more advanced? Second, after looking into it, it looks like I'm going to need a chassis jig to build chassis that are more than one piece. Any recommendations there?

• slotbaker and Tim Neja like this
Will Sutkowski

#2 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:03 AM

No question, Precison Slot Cars for the jig. But they have several versions. Some can be pricey for someone starting out but well worth the investment. Each for a specific chassis or series of chassis. Check what chassis your local guys are running and go from there.

I personally use the one for the WRP "C" series #1700 because of it's versatility. It also fits basic components like generic brass guide plate, motor bracket, and various diameter stainless tubing or piano wire that don't come in kit form. Later I had a machinist drill it to fit a few other brands too.

Comes with a built in wire bender set up. I drilled the pivot point a bit larger to accept a replaceable piece of brass tube to prevent ovaling the hole.

They have some build pictures to help understand using the jigs and tools on their website too.

http://www.pslotcar.com/

• Slot_Outlaw_24 likes this

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         CavemanBodeez.com      Womp Mafia

#3 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

If you don't have a jig, the Chicagoland Raceway spring steel chassis is all tab-and-slot assembly, with a minimum of soldering necessary.

The toughest part is cutting the piano wire main rails the proper length to fit the body you are using. And that is not very difficult. If you cut all the pieces right, you won't really need a jig, just a flat surface to build on.

• Tim Neja and Slot_Outlaw_24 like this

#4 Slot_Outlaw_24

Slot_Outlaw_24

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the help. The research will keep me busy for a while.

Will Sutkowski

Electric Dreams Online Shop