• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:05 PM

Before I go into detail on how I built my "Tire Groomer (TG)", I would like to take the opportunity to thank our illustrious "Hot Rod Motor Builder" Sir John Havlicek, for bringing up the topic of "the builder who wants more".

http://slotblog.net/...who-wants-more/

I had been looking at that particular "Bead Drill/lathe" on eBay, for a long while, along with other similar devices for no apparent reason at the time.

I just thought it was very KOOL looking device - miniature at that!!!!  

I was thinking "what could I use this for?!"

Then, it just happened, my Version 1 - Tire Groomer, was no longer working effectively and needed to come up with a replacement.

That's when I read John's thread again, that I decided to purchase the device.

I purchased the lathe on eBay from a California based seller.

For the (very affordable) price, I was not going to expect a "precision" device but hoped I could get to work for my need.

Here it is as it arrived:

Tire Groomer_1.jpg

This device has the 110V adapter, so I could plug it into the wall - I noticed some sellers offer just the 12V version.

Placed on the table for inspection.

Tire Groomer_2.jpg

Tailstock alignment looks good to me!

Tire Groomer_3.jpg

It took me a day to "imagineer" the design, but basically, since my Version 1 TG, worked well for my tire grooming needs, I decided to apply the similar design to V2.

My requirement for this project, was to be able to put this TG together using only basic hand tools and parts bought off the shelf at the local home improvement/hardware retailers.

Tools I used:  

- Saw: to cut aluminum angle

- Cordless hand drill

- 1/8" drill bit

- 1/4" drill bit

-  Rivet Gun

- Phillips screwdriver

- 2.5mm hex wrench

- Mini Chop Saw

- 4" wide vise 

- Hand files:  rat tail/flat file

Parts:

- 3-1/2" Safety Hasp -- basically a door latch that accommodates a padlock

Tire Groomer_16.jpg

- 1/2" OD Acetal (Delrin) Rod

- 1/4-20 Thumb Screw: 2" long

- 1/4-20 Wing nut

- 1/4-20 Tee Nut

- 3/32" Aluminum blind pop rivets

- Angle aluminum: 1"x1" leg -- 2" long piece

- 1/8"rod x 3-1/2" long  

So, I first removed the live center piece along with the bearings from the tailstock - the bearings push out easily!

Tire Groomer_4.jpg

I neglected to take a photo when I initially center drilled the 1/2" OD acetal/delrin rod, so I took photos of how I accomplished that task.

I installed a 1/8" drill bit into the chuck, then slid the 1/2" rod  thru the tailstock.

You must be sure that the live center is accurate because when you loosen the tailstock to move it closer to the drill bit, it will become misaligned.

It took a few passes because the tailstock I.D. is a micro-millimeter larger than 1/2" thus having too much play, so it was remedied by tightening the tailstock lock screw to where there was virtually no play, yet I could still slide the rod into the drill bit.

Drill bit installed and Acetal rod in place.

Tire Groomer_6.jpg

Tightening the tailstock to eliminate play using a 2.5mm hex wrench.

Tire Groomer_7.jpg

On Center

Tire Groomer_8.jpg

Pushing rod slowly into the drill bit:

Tire Groomer_9.jpg

Center drilled

Tire Groomer_10.jpg

Now to cut a 1/2" piece:

Tire Groomer_11.jpg

Tire Groomer_12.jpg

Delrin rod fits well:

Tire Groomer_13.jpg           Tire Groomer_14.jpg

Checking axle rod alignment

Tire Groomer_15.jpg

By the way, the hasp  replaces the "tool post" and this is the tool post that came with the machine (minus the holes I drilled):

Tire Groomer_16a.jpg

I took the hasp and drilled 2 - 1/4" holes, in line and close to each other because I needed to create a slot in the hasp base.

I used the rat tail file to create a throughway, then used the flat file to finish the slot.

I decided there was too much play between the hinge pin, (the excessive play caused the hasp to jump around too much) so I cut a strip of nylon slider tape, to take up the gap, thus eliminating most of the play.  You can see the nylon strip between the screw holes.

Tire Groomer_16b.jpg

Here is the hasp mounted with the angle aluminum, thumb screw and tee nut installed.  (I used the VHB RP tape to mount the angle aluminum -- the Tee nut is riveted on)

I employed the thumb screw as the "stop", so you can set whatever diameter you wish to cut the tire down without having to continuously check the diameter of the tires.

I put a bend at the top of the hasp, for placement of a weight to keep the hasp from bouncing around when cutting the tires.

I employed a magnet that I had lying around, which was the exact weight needed - yet not too heavy to place a strain on the motor.

The wing nut locks the thumb screw in place, and is intentionally upside down for hand clearance, when turning the adjusting thumb screw and locking it in position.

Tire Groomer_17.jpg

Tire Groomer_17b.jpg

Tire Groomer_17c.jpg

I needed to groom some old tires to fit my current project, I put them into  place for inspection/alignment.

Tire Groomer_21.jpg

These tires were squished in a box full of other tires, and as I pulled them out, they were a little deformed.

You can see the rolling surface of the tires are obviously not flat!

Tire Groomer_22.jpg

Pulled down the hood for the initial test cut -- I'm using adhesive back #240 grit auto body sandpaper to remove material.

Tire Groomer_23.jpg

After approximately 30 seconds, I pulled up the hood and you can see how the rubber residue indicates the cutting pattern.

After a couple more 30 second cuts, this is the cut pattern.

Tire Groomer_24.jpg

Getting better!

After a few more 30 second cut times, it is done!

Tire Groomer_25.jpg

I choose to use 30 second cut times, because material removal is fast.

After each cut time, I remove (brush off)  the residual material to avoid clogging the sandpaper.

I also noted that the acetal/delrin bushing does not get warm when the axle rod is spinning for a length of time - that's a good thing to me!

The axle rod spins real smooth inside the bushing.

• Geary Carrier likes this
Ernie Layacan

#2 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:38 PM

After clean up.

Tire Groomer_26.jpg

After the final grooming (profiling the sidewalls).

Tire Groomer_27.jpg

Tire Groomer_28.jpg

Tire Groomer_29.jpg

In summary:

For $36, I find this to be a great value and now, having seen and worked with it, I would never categorize this as "junk"! ! ! !

The motor is smooth running and I cannot detect any runout at all.

It isn't very loud.

I initially presumed that the motor would not have enough torque to move the tires against the sandpaper thus straining the motor, but it does not have any difficulty at all.

It has a variable speed control with 7 different speeds - by the way, I started at the lowest speed but then used only the 2nd speed for the remainder of the cuts.

I prefer the lower speeds for material removal and at the 2nd speed position, I noticed it seemed to remove material quickly without too much heat buildup that would cause swelling - just the way I like it.

The way this device/tool was engineered and packaged,  saved me so much time from having to make a base, trying to figure out how to configure and align a support bushing mount for the other end of the axle rod etc.,.

I like the fact that I can plug the device into the wall outlet to power it.

The aluminum base is a little long to me,  and I'm not sure what the housing is for, that was mounted opposite the motor - I might shorten the base.

It needs rubber feet so it doesn't vibrate and move around my work bench.

Conclusion:

In my opinion, this is a jewel of a device at such an affordable price.

After only one test run of grooming a pair of tires, I feel it works exceptionally well.

I don't know how long it will hold up, but at this price, I plan on ordering another one just to have.

For all the members who unselfishly share their "DIY" projects, I wish to give "Thanks"  for giving me the inspiration and motivation to create these little gadets of mine.

I value that as well as having the privilege of being a member of this forum!

Thank you.

Ernie

• slotbaker, Pete L., Tim Neja and 7 others like this
Ernie Layacan

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:28 AM

Bingo Ernie...nice job!

John Havlicek

#4 Kim Lander

Kim Lander

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:41 AM

That is a nice looking machine, great ingenuity...I like the way it does two tires at once.

#5 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

Sweet! Will TG 3 have a digital scale incorporated? It would be even more awesome.   :sun_bespectacled:

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!          Support Your local raceways!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         CavemanBodeez.com      Womp Mafia

#6 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

Ernie you're a regular old Mr. machine... :good:

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#7 Alchemist

Alchemist

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:47 PM

Thank you gents for the kind words of support!

Brian Czeiner said:       Sweet! Will TG 3 have a digital scale incorporated? It would be even more awesome.

Hi Brian,

That sounds interesting but I am not understanding the purpose of employing a digital scale - would you expand on that please?   Thank you!

As I mentioned in regards to the base length, I decided to shorten it because I could not find an acceptable plastic storage bin to house it in.

The base measured 12" in length and I shortened it to 9-1/2" -- now it's nice and compact for me!

My wife was kind enough to donate one of her storage bins and it fits perfectly.

Here are a few pix:

I spent quite a bit of time aligning everything and did not want to disassemble the unit, so I chose to cut the base with everything assembled.

Setting up for the cut

Tire Groomer_30.jpg

It's shorter now!

Tire Groomer_31.jpg

On the box

Tire Groomer_32.jpg

In the box - including the power adapter and my tool/parts kit.

Tire Groomer_33.jpg

Whew!  What an enjoyable but arduous task.

Now that I groomed tires for my current project, I can continue on it.

Stay tuned for that one!

Thanks again.

Ernie

• kvanpelt, boxerdog and Geary Carrier like this
Ernie Layacan

Electric Dreams Online Shop