1 reply to this topic

#1 Jim Difalco

Jim Difalco

Mid-Pack Racer

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

After switching my brake contact design to a small bracket about 1-1/2 years ago I wanted to recommend an easy update to this design. After having some older controllers with this style bracket come in for service, I noticed some deflection of this contact. With the thousands of times your trigger snaps back and hits this bracket it is slowly being pushed back, increasing the gap between the wiper button and the first band.

The simple way to fix this is just to remove the front handle and bend the contact forward so the front edge of the wiper button is just above the small gap before the first skinny power band. Then just take a small amount of paste flux (never acid flux!) and apply it to the bend. Now just add some solder to your iron and flow it into the bend as shown in the picture. Clean the joint with a little lighter fluid or acetone (keep acetone away from the handles).

If you have a piece of piano wire and want to add that to the joint you can but it should be fine without it.

Sorry for the trouble. I try to use the best components and this one just did not hold up over time. This bulletin applies to my brake contact bracket that has a shiny surface with a squared-off top. I have since switched to a different bracket over the last four months that has a dull plating, with a rounded top edge, that is more robust. If you want to update this type too then it would not hurt a bit.

While you have the handle off please clean your brake contacts to remove any arcing to maintain consistent braking.

Thanks,

Jim Difalco

Service bulletin brake contact 002.JPG
  • Pappy, Mike K, Tex and 8 others like this

Jim Difalco
Difalco Design
3075 NE Loquat Lane
Jensen Beach, FL 34957
(772) 334-1987
askjim@difalcoonline.com

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

Thanks Jim for the tip and for your great controllers and parts.

• Ramcatlarry and Pete L. like this
Eddie Fleming

Electric Dreams Online Shop