• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

Locally I run in a class using the sealed Pro Slot PS2002 with specific chassis and body requirements.

Wondering be if any one else uses the sealed 2002 as entry class racing? Most sealed classes seem to use the faster sealed PS4002FK motor.

If so, please respond.

(Edited for fat fingers after your comments)

#2 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

By the 2002 do you mean the Pro Slot Chinese arm 16D?

If so, I believe that Mark's Model World's weekly LMP class uses them exclusively as a low-cost version of OCC Group 10.

#3 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

Five-six years ago we ran a 16D NASCAR class with the sealed 2002 Pro Slot motor after the DeathStars went to pasture. It was a fun and fairly equal class. The nostalgia side of me still likes a 16D class. 

Matt Sheldon

#4 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

Yes the Proslot PS2002 is the  Sealed motor in question.

The simplicity is one motor, one body, limited chassis choices, any gear ratio.

The chassis is limited to those type where the motor sits ON a stamped steel chassis, not in it,  Examples of legal chassis would be any Parma Flexi, Flexi2, Turbo flex or   JK21 chassis.

The idea is that it becomes a drivers race, less of a builders race. There is plenty of playful competition, but better sportsmanship. We actually have fun, at a relatively inexpensive level.

I am curious if any one else races under similar restrictions, and what you think of it

• Rich Joslin likes this

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,316 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:09 PM

You should be okay Dave. When we last had a local raceway, the weekly Tuesday night class ran any 4" flexi chassis without a motor box hole, the Proslot Speed FX 16D motor (PS2002), 48 pitch gears, & a change of body styles (no wings) every 3-6 months. It was a popular, well-attended, fun class.The Proslot motors had replaced Parma Deathstars when those became nearly impossible to obtain. The Proslots were faster, had balanced arms, & had better magnets.  The Friday night junior program, using wedge bodies, changed to Proslot motors about the same time, some 11-12 years ago. The rules for these classes were first established so anyone buying a RTR Champion or Parma 16D car from the showcase would be competitive rather than having to built a race car from the ground up. This raceway had sold a ton of slot cars & parts since 1996, but closed in 2010 for other reasons.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#6 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:22 PM

We run sport coupe flexis with the Speed FX 16d every Thursday. Gearing is open. Non-spec.   Prior to that we ran the Parma Death Star.  Its the owner's preference.

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#7 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

We raced a class of winged flexi's on a king track with the PS 2002 sealed motor and 1/8" axle and 48 pitch gears. I found these motors to be very inconsistent in performance with some being so slow they were unraceable. Of course there was also the rare magic bullet that would make a racer virtually unbeatable until the motor finally wore out. I had one such motor out of about 20 that was head and shoulders above all the others, but it only lasted one heat before it slung a wire. Maybe the wings put more emphasis on horsepower or put too much stress on the motor, but I thought the PS 2003 or the PS 4002fk would have been a much better choice. YMMV

#8 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

. I found these motors to be very inconsistent in performance with some being so slow they were unraceable. Of course there was also the rare magic bullet that would make a racer virtually unbeatable until the motor finally wore out. I had one such motor out of about 20 that was head and shoulders above all the others, but it only lasted one heat before it slung a wire.

Not my preference in motors.  Very inconsistent.  The rare magic bullets we come across have been keepers.  Up to 3 brush sets before the comm goes south.  I haven't come across one in a few years.  There are these 16d's that are packaged without the seal.  I have one that is competitive, but no seal.  The stacks are slightly shorter, but not packaged as a S16d.  I don't know what's going on with that.

Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,316 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:13 AM

"Running sealed, yet rebuildable, motors makes little sense, unless a shop also runs those same motors unsealed." Lou Pirro, former Schenectady, NY raceway owner.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#10 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:00 AM

Yes the Proslot PS2002 is the  Sealed motor in question.

The simplicity is one motor, one body, limited chassis choices, any gear ratio.

The chassis is limited to those type where the motor sits ON a stamped steel chassis, not in it,  Examples of legal chassis would be any Parma Flexi, Flexi2, Turbo flex or   JK21 chassis.

The idea is that it becomes a drivers race, less of a builders race. There is plenty of playful competition, but better sportsmanship. We actually have fun, at a relatively inexpensive level.

I am curious if any one else races under similar restrictions, and what you think of it

I know that A&J has been planning a "Vintage Flexi Night" event for a little while using similar rules to these. The bulk of us who race there are 80's and 90's brats who grew up with Parma starter sets so we have a weird fondness for horrible chassis and 1/8th inch axles. The big restriction is supposed to be limiting it to old Parma and Trinity Slotworks Chinese arm 16D's with a race with wedge bodies and a race with stock car/sports car bodies without downforce. 

Just a fun "Remember how BAD our cars used to be?" night. 

#11 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:07 AM

LMP classes seem to be a "rebuildable" motor venue.

Although I can understand why a used, unsealed PS2002 may not be the most desirable starting point for such a class. At least it is a cheap entrance,  as everyoner already  owned the motors,maybe several.

#12 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Depends on the ruleset. LMP at Mark's Model World allows for rebuilding the Chinese arm 16D's. LMP in the USRA specifies a handout motor selected by the host raceway. LMP in the FNRS runs Retro Hawks with a 13t pinion. LMP in the Ohio Challenge Cup is a Group 10 category allowing built American arm 16D's.

It's a VERY broadly applied class term.

#13 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

Good observation.  Seems the general rule of rules is dependent on where you race. If you only race at one place in one town, then a racer is less concerned about other rules across the  country. They become meaningless. The only rules that matters is local race night rules.

On the other hand, someone who races in inter-track, regional  or national events needs consistent predetermined criteria to prepare for tech.
  • Half Fast likes this

#14 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

Exactly and thanks to the rise of social media and other forms of online racing promotion, it's entirely inexcusable for a racer to arrive at a race without some idea of the ruleset in question. 

Also, if a local race track routine hosts a traveling series, it behooves that track to adopt the rules of the traveling series in question, both so that those travelers can race at the track on a regular or semi-regular basis AND so that their local racers are able to travel as well.

#15 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:42 PM

Great point. I agree fully.

Electric Dreams Online Shop