Photo

Wing car tire/rim suggestions for local track?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mdiv

mdiv

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Hey all,

Just looking for some tire and rim suggestions for running wing cars on my local track.  Not racing at the moment but looking for ideas.  Motors would be Mini Brute up to G27.

Here's the track:

hurricane.jpg

I have one car that I've played with using a strap X12 motor. I threw some JK .720" treated tires on the car and went and played. Managed a 4.29.

Hope to hear some good info from those with more experience. Looking to keep a set of tire prices under $16. Back in 2014 we ran $100 wing cars for a few months and had some fun, I think at the time I was using Koford Wonder .750"s and the car handled well.

Thanks for your input!  :)

Mike D

PS: Speedshop rims are more for the scale guys, correct? Also in the future would be some running on a track not built yet...  ;)

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#2 SoCal Bill

SoCal Bill

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:15 PM

I assume you are running a cobalt 12 wing car. If your track is fairly smooth try Koford M472-650S-WXX. These are spec tires with a lower than normal price ($16).

If you need more bite, go to a softer version.

Bill Fagan

#3 mreibman

mreibman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

Some of us have to run those "spec" tires on our wing cars.... I would not recommend them unless you have to use them.

For a good all-around tire, you could tray Alpha Supernatural, https://www.alphaslo...race-tires.html

Another reasonable choice is the JK "Big Daddy" tires (I don't have the part number).

Since I know you mostly run "vintage" cars, I would also suggest making sure the diameter matches the chassis as the older chassis are often set up for larger tires (.790 and 13/16), and smaller hub tires as those were more period.

Your mileage can and will vary - talk to the racers at the track for their suggestions as well as the track owner. Chances are he's selling the things that work on his tracks.

Just my opinions. Not gospel at all.

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding womp.
More powerful than a 36D

#4 philk

philk

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

Alpha or Koford Wonder rubber, soft, medium or hard , full width or narrowed, depending on how sticky the track is.

Phil Kreuter

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,641 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Mike, unless slot racing comes up with a "Traction-o-meter", that you can reference (IE-"My track has a 7.4 traction value".) you are asking an almost impossible question to answer accurately.

Here at CR, Koford M472P-WH ($12 retail) is a good economical wing tire for non-Gerding King tracks.

Still, too many variables to give you a definitive answer.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#6 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:43 AM

One thing many wing car racers won't tell you is that there is a big difference between playing with wing cars and being competitive with wing cars.  Tires are a very big factor in one but not the other.  I've raced GP12 on a track similar to that one.  I used medium wonder rubber on a .500 rim, I glued the tires before running.  The motors you say your running have a very wide range of performance.  Keep in mind that the faster a wing car goes the more downforce it generates.  What this translates into is that you can run harder tires the faster you go.  So a car that has a MB motor will want softer tires then the exact same car with a 27 motor. Finding the right tire is the problem for all racers so don't get discouraged.  You will also find that the tire that worked yesterday might not work today but may be the tire of choice tomorrow.  Keep working at it and good luck in your racing.  It's also not necessary to find the optimum tire just the one that works best with your combination.

Fred Younkin

#7 mreibman

mreibman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

Mike, unless slot racing comes up with a "Traction-o-meter", that you can reference (IE-"My track has a 7.4 traction value".) you are asking an almost impossible question to answer accurately.

Here at CR, Koford M472P-WH ($12 retail) is a good economical wing tire for non-Gerding King tracks.

Still, too many variables to give you a definitive answer.

Mike Swiss, What's the CR part number for the Traction-o-meter?

• MSwiss likes this
Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding womp.
More powerful than a 36D

#8 mdiv

mdiv

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm pretty sure the Koford set that Swiss gave the p/n for is what I was running on the $100 car.  Did really well on the Hurricane, I'll have to pick up a few sets.

Danke,

Mike D

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

Electric Dreams Online Shop