25 replies to this topic

#1 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

The first race of the NERR series will be held at Speedy's Fast Lane at 102 Woods Road in Solvay, NY. They have the King from HVR (Hudson Valley Raceway). Braid depth is .030". Stock Car will be first followed by F1. 

Recommended set-up for stock car

Chassis:  135-140 grams

Body: VFC or Red Fox charger

Gearing: 8/28

Tires: Med. Thunders or JK Wonder

Times to shoot for: previous track record at HVR was Jimmy Williams with a 4.936 so 5.0 is a good starting point.

Recommended set-up for F1

Chassis: 108-112 grams

Body: O/S or Parma M7

Gearing: 9/28 or 9/27

Tires: same as above

Times to shoot for: previous track record at HVR was Jimmy Williams with a 4.411 so 4.5 is a good place to start.

Please also note the New York State Fair is also the same weekend. To ensure there is good attendance we would like to know who is going. Please post here or on the NERR Facebook page if you are going. Let's make sure we support Tim, Doug, and Dan.

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#2 elinsley

elinsley

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:31 AM

I have requested it off from work but not sure yet

Eric Linsley

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

I'll reserve judgement until I have a chance to run on the track, but the area after the donut on this track has a history of being a bit tricky, especially on the inner lanes.  It's never been one you can hammer, so if you are used to kings where the lead-on is jacked up, you'll have trouble.

• Arne Saknussem, Half Fast, JerseyJohn and 1 other like this
"Whatever..."

#4 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

I was very pleased with the overall setup of the track.  All I am suggesting is to spend a few minutes on the area after the donut to smooth the transition then a good track will become a great track for many years to come.

I wish them nothing but the best in that regard.

#5 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

I was very pleased with the overall setup of the track, so dont get me wrong. All I am suggesting is to spend a fee more minutes on that area to smooth the transition

Then a good track will become a great track got many years to come.

The flat lead on gives a bit of challenge to driving that track . There is no challenge to running a punch bowl. 

A good driver learns to adapt..

• Arne Saknussem and Dan Ebert like this

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Known Slot Car Racing Celebrity "

https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#

Email me
 blog.jpg

#6 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Good point.

#7 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:41 PM

I was very pleased with the overall setup of the track.  All I am suggesting is to spend a few minutes on the area after the donut to smooth the transition then a good track will become a great track for many years to come.

I wish them nothing but the best in that regard.

Yes, we all want to see a successful operation at the reborn Speedy's Fast Lane.  I recall many very good times racing on the LTD at their former location several years ago.  That track had its own "character", including the uphill bend that promoted caution because getting air at the top resulted in your coming down in the next lane over.  And I recommend caution while racing on the Ogilvie Orange at Northeast, paying particular attention to the transition from the donut to the esses.  It's a hell of thing to get set up for.  The ability to get through there at speed is what is generally referred to as "local knowledge."   A good 1:1 example is Dan Gurney at the old Riverside Raceway.

• Dan Ebert and Racer36 like this

Pete Varlan

"You have a republic... if you can keep it." - Benj. Franklin

#8 jrjr

jrjr

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

What time does racing start?

Jack Roberts

#9 jrjr

jrjr

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

What time does racing start?

Found out.... tech at 9:30 and racing starts at 10:00

Jack Roberts

#10 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

Less than a week away. Dan is putting on his chef hat and putting out a spread for us Saturday. Bring your appetite and oh ya some fast cars.
  • CDavis7 and Dan Ebert like this
A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#11 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

The racing was great and the food was excellent.  Hats off to Doug , Dan and Tim for being great hosts.  As far as the track, it was no different than running on any other King with some flat turns.  I had no problems getting around the track.  No surprises and no home track advantage, that is why King tracks are preferred.  Everyone walked in had the same chances to win.  Thanks again for hosting and thanks to the NERR crew for putting on the race there.  It was nice not having to travel 8 hours to race with the NERR group.  I always enjoy racing with that crowd

• CDavis7, Racer36, sledman and 1 other like this
GallerymanDan

#12 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

^^^ What he said.^^^^

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#13 blkdout76

blkdout76

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

It was a great Saturday of racing. The HVR king, IMO is actually better then it was, whatever work Doug and the crew put into making the lead on better definitely worked, the times may not have been record setting from when it was at HVR but I thought it was smoother, orange definitely had a weird thing about it all day long on the short top straight above the bridge but you just adapted to that. Thank you to Speedys for providing the guys who showed up Friday with Pizza, wings and soda and then all the food on Saturday plus beer for us drinkers. I want to thank Dan Ebert for running the races and having the knowledge to run the computer race system, we had a little disagreement during a "track call" but it's all good. One last point of constructive criticism.....the guys who showed up from Fantasy Raceways, maybe walking out on your Marshalling duties is OK in Rochester but it put an extra burden on the ones who shouldn't have been turn Marshalling and left us finding volunteers. When you sign up to race, marshalling is part of it. If you feel like you're special in some kind of way and can just up and abandon your fellow racers, I hate to tell you your not! Looking forward to the next race at Speedys.
  • Half Fast, CDavis7, Dan Ebert and 1 other like this
Gary Clinton Jr

#14 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

You walk out on marshaling, you should be DQ'd and if it persists. not invited back.

Strong letter to follow!

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#15 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

No one was "from" the track in Rochester. No one was sponsored by them, or sent by them. Anyone who showed up for the NERR event from the city I happen to call home did so on their own. Any actions or inactions were their own and unrelated to whatever track a person commonly races at or calls home.

Personally, I agree that when you sign up, and show up, marshalling is part of the event. It is part of the deal, win or lose. I agree it is part of the sportsmanship that we should all accept and share as part of the hobby we all love.

Please don't condemn all racers from any city, where ever they race, to lump them into one group, who you know nothing of, never met, as if they are all alike, for the sake of the actions of one. That's just wrong on so many levels.

#16 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

Weren't you the same guy that was bashing the track in this thread and the posts were removed.   Hmmm That's just so wrong on so many levels.   Between that and what happened Saturday maybe there is a reason why racers from your track and area are getting a bad rap.

GallerymanDan

#17 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

No one was "from" the track in Rochester. No one was sponsored by them, or sent by them. Anyone who showed up for the NERR event from the city I happen to call home did so on their own. Any actions or inactions were their own and unrelated to whatever track a person commonly races at or calls home.
Personally, I agree that when you sign up, and show up, marshalling is part of the event. It is part of the deal, win or lose. I agree it is part of the sportsmanship that we should all accept and share as part of the hobby we all love.
Please don't condemn all racers from any city, where ever they race, to lump them into one group, who you know nothing of, never met, as if they are all alike, for the sake of the actions of one. That's just wrong on so many levels.

Three of the four individuals that left early and shucked their responsibility for marshaling have ties to Fantasy. Based on that the comments from Gary are well deserved. Unless there is an underlying reason for them leaving, they should be ashamed of themselves for such infantile behaviour.
  • Dan Ebert and Rotorranch like this

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#18 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

I ASKED ADMIN TO REMOVE A POST suggesting a minor change to a few track supports in one corner. There was a big race coming up and I suggested a way to prove the track conditions to make a more enjoyable experience for those who would be attending. Please explain to us all what level was that wrong on.

I suppose if I had spotted a place where braid was up, that would have been "bashing as well in your eyes.

I am simply a racer with no financial interest in either place that for the good of the sport is trying to get both locations active for a intercity racing series, and the common rules under which they would run.

A personal vendetta against me by you doesn't help either location or the racers that support them both.

I suggest you knock it off immediately.

#19 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

Racer 36. I agree

#20 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

Simply talking to the track owner rather than posting on a public forum would have been a better choice.  I have no personal Vendetta against you.  But threatening me is one way to start.

GallerymanDan

#21 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

I agree with you Dan. I learned in retrospect that my approach was the wrong one, and I rightfully own the criticism that followed. Which is why I asked Forum Admin to delete the post which some had objection.

I wish all tracks success, and peace to you.
  • Dan Ebert likes this

#22 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

Hey Dan I posted to the original comment this guy made about the track what should have been done to the track owners and not a public issue. Beyond his classlessness a sign of a good driver is a driver that can adapt to attract whatever its quirks are the purpose of a track is not the make it fit anyone driver seriously Dan this guy's taking it to the next level I'm with you buddy what a moron

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Known Slot Car Racing Celebrity "

https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#

Email me
 blog.jpg

#23 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

Guys-

Doug, Dan and Tim worked hard to give their area a good place to race. The NERR guys came a long way to race. The actions of a few disrespected their efforts and may cause them to wonder about keeping on.

Do the right thing or lose the right to race and/or the track itself.

No cheer here!

• JerseyJohn likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#24 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

I took your advice that same day John. I had Admin rescind the related posts that someone/anyone might have considered derogatory. That was never the intent to do so.

I also know that ones racer's wife was in an automobile accident the day of event. 

He left when notified. I am sure he meant no disrespect to his fellow racers.

So to all that may have been offended, or still are, you have my sincere apologies.

• JerseyJohn likes this

#25 elinsley

elinsley

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

I also know that ones racer's wife was in an automobile accident the day of event. 

He left when notified. I am sure he meant no disrespect to his fellow racers.

Dave that racer is not who they are talking about. 

Eric Linsley

Electric Dreams Online Shop