• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Dave Clary of Hobart, IN, age 74 passed away Feb 18,  2019.

Dave was survived by His wife, two children, and six grandchildren. He was also a Vietnam veteran.

Dave and buddy Marty Varney manufactured the popular Certus motors and products back in the day.

In the early '70s Dave switched to R/C and could be found at both races and flying fields.

In 1970 or so Dave drove a '60 Corvette convertible, black metalflake with American Flag in the coves like the Harley tank from the movie 'Easy Rider,' topped off with American 200S mags. How can you do better than that?

Last I saw Dave was when he brought some arms to Bill Metro's shop for him to balance. I worked a long time for Bill in his dental lab and he hated doing R/C arms so I know he held Dave in high regard. Wish I could have got to know him better.

RIP, Dave.

I recently visited with Larry Gradek at G&G Hobbies in Griffith and learned of his dad Rocky, well in his 90s, having passed also.

G&G opened back in 1967 or so as a raceway with an American orange, one of eight American Purple Miles, and an Aurora tub HO track.

Rick Davis won the last big race on the Purple in spring of 1970. If memory serves me right Jan Limpach gave away a TV.  

The late Ron Esterline of Indianapolis won the HOPRA race with a hardshell body also that year. History! 

Marty Varney continued to work for the Gradeks well past the raceway years, selling lots of Associated R/C cars . Larry says he has not heard from him in 20-30 years.

G&G is now around the corner in a family-owned building and recently celebrated 50 years.

RIP, Rocky. Larry is doing you proud .

• Maximo, MattD and glueside like this
Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,257 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

I located Dave's obituary and here it is. I have omitted the visitation and service info as being out of date.

David Clary

Hobart, IN - David Clary, age 74, of Hobart, passed away on February 18, 2019. He attended River Forest High School. Dave served for the U.S. Army during Vietnam. (Fifth A.R.V.N. Ranger). He was very passionate about computer programming and well known in the R.C. car and model airplane fields. Dave will be greatly missed.

He was preceded in death by his father, James E. (Jane) Clary; mother, Joy Hahn; brother, Robert Clary. Dave is survived by his wife of 50 years, Charlene Clary; son, David Clary; daughter, Ginger (Joe) Hanenkratt; grandchildren, Jerico andMacaleb Clary, Megan, Morgan, Myah Jo, Jonathan, and Neil Hanenkratt, Mackenzie Bohner and great–grandchildren; brother, Tom (Cori) Clary; sisters- Rebecca Clary, Candy Fattore, Kelly (Ray) Vasquez; best friend - Tracey Fogelson.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop