Photo

Florida Arrive & Drive series coming soon?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

I'm considering organizing a new series because it's clear that interest in the Florida Slot Car Series has been dropping off for quite some time, meaning that its days are probably numbered.

I believe that the KISS approach is always a good idea and would lead to less stress for the drivers (less stress = more fun) and the closest racing that we've ever seen. My thoughts, using the KISS approach, is to spec almost everything.

The following would be my suggestions at this point:

There would be three classes (NASCAR, LMP, GTP) all run on one roller
– Ralph Thorne Racing bodies (.007" and cut on the cut line) Titan-COT, Orca, Renegade
– Spec interiors (to be determined)
– Mossetti Striker with 1-piece light-weight steel pans (no raise or lower axle bushings/bearings)(no adding weight)
– Spec axle bushings or ball bearings (to be determined)
– Alpha soft wonder 3/4? hub tires (run practice and all three races on the same pair of tires)
– JK Hawk Retro 9R motor
– ARP 12t pinion
– Cahoza/Camen 36t spur
– Red Fox long guide
– PAW braid

Maybe some of the manufacturers would contribute prizes.

I would also like to try 30-second lane changes where the drivers simply move their controllers while the turn marshals put the proper sticker (right on top of the existing sticker) on each car and move the car to the next lane and racing resumes immediately.

I would also like to try to come up with ways to minimize the penalty we incur (lost laps) when we are the victum of someone else's mistake.

I'm posting this to see if anyone has any comments – pro or con. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

Not a Florida racer, but I like your thinking.

A good durable spec type car that is easily built and quick lane changes where the car never leaves the track. Not so sure about the marshals changing the stickers.

Eddie Fleming

#3 Jeff Bonanno

Jeff Bonanno

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

Florida Flexi Spec Racing Series (FFSRS) lol

I like Spec Racing for Flexi !! :)

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the lane change deal. I like being able to oil my car or make adjustments if the car is bent etc.

I like the idea of spec tire but alpha soft wonder? Do not even think those work on all the tracks?

Other than that i like all the ideas :)

I might actually get back into Flexi if this is the case :)

• tonyp likes this

#4 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,049 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

who supplies the cars/chassis'/parts? "arrive and drive" would seem to suggest everyone just show up with a controller and drive RTR cars.....

• MSwiss likes this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

I agree with Tex.

The name of the thread is misleading.

Arrive and Drive would be more like when I do IROC races with my rental cars.(which are not Whisperjets)

A racer runs the Red car on the Red lane, the White car on the White, etc.

The racer gets his correct track position each heat.

IOW, if one finishes right before the lap counter, on Green, he starts his next heat with the Blue car in the same place.

I've been real lucky, but no one is ever tried any nonsense like walling the car at the end of their heat and I've never had a car slow down, where someone felt like they didn't get a fair shake, with say the Purple car.

I suppose if we did it more often, at least the latter would happen.

Anyway, the above is my definition of arrive and drive.

I'm curious, what does the below mean?

"I would also like to try to come up with ways to minimize the penalty we incur (lost laps) when we are the victum of someone else's mistake."

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#6 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Florida Flexi Spec Racing Series (FFSRS) lol

Hi Jeff,

I can't figure out why FFSRS is funny -- maybe I'm behind the times.

Anyway, a couple of other names, besides FADS, that I am considering are:

WEFUSS  (Western-Eastern Florida Ultra Spec Series) or maybe it should be a national series named 

NADS  (National Arrive & Drive Series)  LOL

I'll respond to your's and everyone else's comments when I have time -- probably tomorrow.

#7 Bucky

Bucky

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

Running a single chassis in a regional series would make a lot of the cars out there obsolete.
Aaron Rothstein

#8 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

Dale:

I like the concept but what if you required the track owner to provide 8 identical cars and the racers could only bring a controller?  Pretty much a true IROC competition.  Each Raceway owner would build a fleet of IROC cars, maybe two or three totally different types, to the same specification(s) and it could be a state-wide series.  The entry fees would be enough to provide the track owner with enough to cover his costs and make a profit.

• Samiam likes this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#9 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,049 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:32 AM

who would repair all the cars after each race? new tires after each race(?), gotta be trued up. replace damaged bodies? paint the replacement bodies? make sure chassis' are true and square after each race? new braid for 8 cars every race. broken guide flags? seems to put a lot o' work on possibly one guy, the track owner. sure, people will say "I'll help!" and they may.... once or twice. after that, after several races, the track owner has 8 cars needing more and more repairs. I know I'm being pretty negative but maybe a bit realistic also.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#10 Jeff Bonanno

Jeff Bonanno

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:44 AM

Who said the raceway would provide cars?

If it's a spec type of series than the driver themselves would have their own cars with accordance to the rules?

unless i'm missing something lol

Anyways i'm not much of a flexi guy but would race if their was a total spec series.

Anyways good luck i hope something like this gets put together but for now i'm preparing for the retro rumble :)

• dalek likes this

#11 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Not a Florida racer, but I like your thinking.

A good durable spec type car that is easily built and quick lane changes where the car never leaves the track. Not so sure about the marshals changing the stickers.

The process of putting lane stickers on the cars would just need to be streamlined. 

We would need to come up with something that would allow a marshal to grab any color lane sticker he needs.  A device of some sort, or maybe just a simple plastic board, that could be loaded up with several red stickers, white stickers, and so on, and with the edge of each sticker accessible. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

Not letting racers touch their own car, between heats, IMO, is a bad idea.

It will lead to more cars getting picked up, under power, at the panel, which leads to other drivers getting effected, where their site line gets screwed up, or as the driver is hastily picking up and putting the car back down, getting a handjob.

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#13 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

I like the idea of spec tire but alpha soft wonder? Do not even think those work on all the tracks?

Actually, the Alpha soft wonder have been working great.  It's about the only tire I've been running for the last few months on my Mossetti Defenders and Strikers -- even when the track has been cleaned. 

And they were do-able at TRB in Melbourne (typically a loose track) last month, but I don't remember if JK Premiums were a tick better or not.

But it's the partial-width hub that works best (not full hub).  The partial-width small-diameter hub part numbers are:  

#11WR-S (.760 tire diameter)

#12WR-S (.790)

#13WR-S (.825)

I've tried the Full hub a few times, but the partial hub has always worked better. 

And being wonder rubber, the tires last twice as long as the softer tires like JK Premium, Treated, etc.

And the Alpha tires are ready to run right out of the bottle.  They're true, parallel and not far out of balance.

#14 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

I'm curious, what does the below mean?

"I would also like to try to come up with ways to minimize the penalty we incur (lost laps) when we are the victum of someone else's mistake."

We've got a good car and we're driving well but then someone else's car de-slots, ending up in our lane, and bam! 

And, to make matters worse, the perp's car gets put back on before our's and our car's body is wadded up and it takes the marshal a couple of seconds to get it pulled back out.  We end up losing a lap or two or more.

It's just part of racing, whether it's slot cars or full size cars.  However, we've all experienced the depressing feeling that it causes so my desire is to minimize this negative aspect of the hobby as much as possible.  

Possible solutions; a few more track calls -- maybe.  Penalties or black-flagging for excessive de-slotting -- maybe.  I'd just like to always be thinking of ways to  achieve a reasonable balance.

#15 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

We've got a good car and we're driving well but then someone else's car de-slots, ending up in our lane, and bam! 

And, to make matters worse, the perp's car gets put back on before our's and our car's body is wadded up and it takes the marshal a couple of seconds to get it pulled back out.  We end up losing a lap or two or more.

I hate it when that happen to me and I hate it when i cause it for someone, but I think we just need to live with that. any solution seems to be worse than the original problem.

The unmentioned problem with this spec car idea is that it is another case of local rules limiting the chances of someone traveling and racing with the group. I know that is a seldom seen problem. but it happens.

I will but out now. What am I doing in  Florida thread?

• MSwiss likes this
Eddie Fleming

#16 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

When we have weekly races, a typical example, if a guy comes off 3 times in the Deadman, where I'm race directing with the keyboard, and I finally spot the braid up a bit, I'll roll it or glue it down, and when the heat is over, I'll say something like "Bernard, I'm going to add a lap. I should of spotted that".

The person inevitably says "you don't have to do that", but since the racing couldn't possibly be anymore casual, with stoppages to allow racers to make quick fixes,etc., I do it to keep the results interesting/close.

So you want the race director to become the "arbiter of bad luck", and award laps?

That can't possibly work in a real race, where points are awarded.

It sounds like you really want to "race" on a track that looks like the below, but with slots.

MINI-4WD-5-LANE-CIRCUIT-TRACK-Tamiya.jpg

Mike Swiss

#17 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

Running a single chassis in a regional series would make a lot of the cars out there obsolete.

The purpose of the series is to give the Central Florida racers, who would like to race competitively on a track other than the one they race on every week, the opportunity to do so.

If a non-local racer can arrive at the raceway with his car being equal to all of the other cars he will be racing against, then all he has to do is put it on the track and spend all of the time available, running practice in every lane and with all three bodies.  There won't be anyone camping on a lane trying different bodies, chassis, tires, etc.

In order for the cars to be equal, they must be highly spec'd.  JK Products doesn't get to sell any of their chassis for the series, but they get a piece of the pie because their motors are being use.  Red Fox doesn't get any body sales, but their guides are being used, and so on for the other manufacturers.

If any manufacturer wants to get in on the action, they could come up with proposals.

• Samiam likes this

#18 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

Not letting racers touch their own car, between heats, IMO, is a bad idea.

It will lead to more cars getting picked up, under power, at the panel, which leads to other drivers getting effected, where their site line gets screwed up, or as the driver is hastily picking up and putting the car back down, getting a handjob.

Based on my experience, I don't share your concern, but we could keep the rules/guidelines loose enough, that if someone's car was having a problem and they wanted to give it a quick check, they would be allowed to do so.
Thanks for the input.

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

Who decides if it is a problem car?

The driver or the race director?

What constitutes a problem?

Mike Swiss

#20 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,049 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:38 PM

Who said the raceway would provide cars?

"arrive and drive" means you just show up and drive. that's how it's done in 1:1 spec racing like Formula Fords or Spec Racer Fords.... you pay an outfit $ so you can just show up at the track and drive a car they have prepared. it's possible that the use of "arrive and drive" is misused in the title of the topic. if it's not truly "arrive and drive", the I guess everyone would suply their own car, right? that would mean you turn your car, that you spent time/effort preparing, over to 7 other drivers during the race. are you really prepared to do that? I would imagine half the cars would need serious repairs after the race. that might get old after a few races.

Richard L. Hofer

#21 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:39 PM

We have a “Arrive and Drive” program that uses a version of our rental cars (JK with .020 bodies) and our DiFalco rental controllers. We own all the equipment and do the upkeep which is minimal. Cars stay on the lane and only the drivers move. $5.00 entry includes 15 minutes of practice with coaching from experienced racers. Kids 12 and under race free with a parent entered. At various intervals based on number of entries the points leader wins a RTR spec car to race in normal weekly racing. Done right the raceway does a touch better than break even on the A&D program but builds the weekly program.

Mike McMasters
Tom Thumb Hobbies
  • MSwiss, Tex, John Streisguth and 1 other like this
Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#22 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

Here's a thought to make things simple: have the cars color coded to the lanes, and every lane change, put the cars back at the start/finish line.  Simpler than trying to change stickers, move cars etc.  Yeah, sometimes you lose the better part of a lap, sometimes you'll just get by the counter.  I think it would pretty much even out.  The simpler you make things, the better.

• Tex likes this
"Whatever..."

#23 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,049 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

We own all the equipment and do the upkeep which is minimal.

your first-hand experience certainly trumps my assumptions.... what chassis if I may ask?

Richard L. Hofer

#24 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

I like the 30 second lane change, marshal spot the car idea. Any adjustments or maintenence must be done under green flag conditions.

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#25 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

your first-hand experience certainly trumps my assumptions.... what chassis if I may ask?

We are using the JK RTR rental car. Based on the C21. We change the motor out to a Retro Hawk. Geared 8/30 48p

• Tex likes this
Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

Electric Dreams Online Shop