Retro Can-Am rules

30 replies to this topic

#1 GT40

GT40

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:45 PM

Are the SCRRA rules for 2015 the most recent update?

And, in particular, are the ground clearance rules still .015" inch in front and .050" inch at the rear?

Thanks!

• Tim Neja likes this

Steve Walker
"It's hard to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious..."

#2 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:28 AM

Steve,

Yes, the 2015 SCRRA rules are the most recent and still valid. The ground clearance rules are still .015" front and .050" rear. 

With the exception of a couple new bodies the rules haven't changed since the last time you've been down to BPR.   :)
  • Mark Wampler likes this

#3 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,041 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:37 AM

As an FYI for Steve and anyone else, Can-Am ground clearance is .015" front and .050" rear in all Retro organizations (to the best of my knowledge).

Most Retro rules are 95% identical, all having stemmed from the same original SoCal D3 rules (now SCRRA). Biggest differences to look out for when going racing under another org is motor, weight limit, and bodies.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,018 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Most Retro rules are 95% identical...

A truism which is a rather sad commentary... and indicative of the history of the little (and shrinking) 1/24 hobby.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 PM

So, maybe we go back to the formula that worked in the '60s?

Sports cars, Formula cars, and stock cars? And anything else is run what you brung.

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#6 SpeedyNH

SpeedyNH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:21 PM

In the '60s, my club had nine classes across both scales, and they all had their own similar rule sets.

The good old days! I still have a few of 'em.

Steve Lang

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,018 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:52 PM

So, maybe we go back to the formula that worked in the '60s?

My point is that there are demonstrable benefits that accrue from having everyone across the country use the same rules for the same class.

But there are numerous groups and series promoters who feel that inserting local 'tweaks' or preferences serve their purposes better, although I sincerely doubt that the results (in terms of participation numbers) actually support such opinions.

Surely I am not the only person who remembers the old saw "we know best what our local racers want to race." Or the one that "common rules won't do any good because most racers don't travel."

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,041 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:32 PM

I don't see a problem that needs fixing.

If I wanna race IRRA® (hope to do the 2020 Sano), I slap in a different motor and make sure my car weighs 100 grams... no sweat.

• Bryan Warmack likes this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#9 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 PM

And maybe change some front wheels on your F1 car! And hope that your one motor is as good as the one that the guy who owns 50 or 100 of them picks to race with! And come up with a stock car, because they don't run them where you race! And sometimes if your car was jigged with a PS 4002FK motor, a Hawk Retro motor will hang below the frame rails because it's just a wee bit longer!

I agree with Cheater, it would be nice if everyone ran the same ruleset.
  • Paul5097 likes this

#10 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,041 posts

Posted Today, 07:40 AM

It would be nice, but they don't.

In the beginning, there was just one ruleset that everyone used as their model to start from... the SoCal D3 rules. From there, everyone including IRRA®, deviated to make their own rules to suit themselves.

• S.O. Watt likes this
Richard L. Hofer

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,018 posts

Posted Today, 07:54 AM

Tex,

Your comment: "IRRA®... deviated to make their own rules to suit themselves" is not only unfair but is also inaccurate.

The IRRA® rules were indeed based on the original Retro concept that arose in SoCal, but they were not developed to "suit" anyone. They were developed specifically to maximize the attraction of and participation in Retro racing across the country and even the world.

This was something the D3 group, as it was, told us repeatedly they had no interest in doing. "We just want to race what we race at BPR." The IRRA® BoD had a much larger vision and purpose.

It just blows my mind that even though the benefits of having everyone 'on the same page' rules-wise have been IMO clearly demonstrated for over a decade now, many seem to feel it's not important. If the horse doesn't want to drink...

• Half Fast likes this

Gregory Wells

#12 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,018 posts

Posted Today, 08:27 AM

And I really should mention that it was Mike Swiss who started the ball rolling for a single Retro ruleset when he decided to hold the first Sano event in 2007. His concept was to meld together the two or three different Retro rulesets being used in various parts of the country so that everyone could come race without making lots of changes to their existing Retro cars. 

The support that race received was the springboard that led to IRRA®.

Gregory Wells

#13 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,817 posts

Posted Today, 08:44 AM

I still have the spreadsheet I developed that showed all the rules that was used at the first Sano to form the IRRA® rule set.

It was an inclusive rule set so anyone from one region could race in another and not change anything.

The first diversion was by SCRRA in allowing A frame F1 front chassis set-ups.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#14 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 21,641 posts

Posted Today, 08:44 AM

Yes, the thought was to get both coasts together to hammer out one universal set of rules.

Mike Steube originally planned to come and PdL also expressed interest.

Mike said his employer wasn't going to allow him to take off and PdL didn't come, so instead of a discussion about a universal ruleset, the IRRA® was formed.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#15 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,041 posts

Posted Today, 09:14 AM

The first diversion was by SCRRA in allowing A frame F1 front chassis set-ups.

I did not know that.

Richard L. Hofer

#16 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted Today, 09:23 AM

Personally I prefer IRRA® rules for a few different reasons. Number one. the motor options and the freedom to experiment with different combinations of pinion and spur gears. Not a fan of rules limiting me to one motor and one size pinion.

If I am planning on traveling to special event race and there were two 'big' races in two different states on the same day, I'm heading to the race using IRRA® rules. Just my personal preference.

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing
Color Me Gone

Romans 1:16 "... for I am not ashamed of the Gospel"

#17 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted Today, 10:55 AM

As a chassis builder, the rules are all close enough for me. I pay no attention to “A frame” skinny cars nor light weight (under 100 grams) all-up weight as that market is too small and specialized. The .008" size difference in cans doesn’t change how any of my chassis are built, non-hypoid solves that issue.

Changing motor or gears is really quite easy.

The 95% plus is AOK.

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#18 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted Today, 12:42 PM

The rule set in different areas is not that much different, but if you are not building and tuning to those rules you will not be competitive. There lies the rub, for those that like traveling to races outside their area, a whole set of cars are required, this make it difficult for those that would like to visit other areas but are confronted with building a new fleet of cars to race.

Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#19 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted Today, 01:23 PM

I dunno, Mike. It looks like Dale, Duran, and Alex did more than OK at the last RetroPalooza, using IRRA® rules. Yes, they built and tuned specifically for those races, but they (and the others who travel there, from as far away as Tokyo), are doing it more for the racing experience, which includes the participants and the raceway.

I'm guessing it's less the SCRRA rules than it is the raceway, that prevents the attendance we had in SoCal years ago. 

Eddie

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#20 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted Today, 02:17 PM

"Yes, they built and tuned specifically for those races"

Dale preped a complete set of cars to race back east, that he does not race at BPR.

Tokyo racers do not embrace west coast rules so they don't race at BPR anymore?

East coast guys will not come to BPR anymore because they need a lightwt CA to be fast?

Guys that have the means and time will travel and prep cars, everyone else not so much

Point is, it is difficult for someone to invest time, cars and $ for just one race. If we were all racing under the same ruleset, it would not be that difficult

Mike Low

#21 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted Today, 02:49 PM

But Mike, my point was that the guys from SoCal who travel far to race generally do it for the Fall Brawl, RetroPalooza, and the Sano, but not for all of them. So just as they prepared special cars for a race with IRRA® rules, racers racing under those rules could prepare cars to race in places with different rules if they wanted to. It's possible as more guys are reaching retirement there will be more cross-country traveling to race, and even places like the UK and Japan.

By the way, I do want to go on the record to say that I wish the separate Retro organizations would agree on one set of rules, and maybe even classes of cars. I'm just not so certain that rules alone would necessarily facilitate increased traveling to race.

Eddie

• team burrito likes this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#22 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted Today, 03:02 PM

Traveling racers are a very small percentage of the hobby's participants. Most racers probably aren't even aware there are different rules at different tracks.

Blaming the lack of a unified set rules on the demise of commercial slot car racing is a causation correlation fallacy. There are so many other things that are bigger factors. Like video games.

Phil Smith ® ©

#23 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 21,641 posts

Posted Today, 03:05 PM

If we were racing to the same rule set, it would not be that difficult.

Haruki and his crew had the free will to do whatever they want, and they switched to IRRA® rules, over SCRRA.

I think at this point, it's just a matter of pride/stubbornness.

• Shooter7mustang likes this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#24 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,041 posts

Posted Today, 03:10 PM

I'm just not so certain that rules alone would necessarily facilitate increased traveling to race.

I agree. Those that want to and can afford to will do so despite any minor rules differences that must be accommodated. Even if running locally under the same rules to be in effect at some far-flung fly-away race, it's still a major investment in time to prepare, quite possibly a none-too-small monetary investment, with potential work logistics to work out with the boss.

Has someone here not gone to a fly-away race 'cause they'd have to add some weight or because they'd have to use a different motor?

• Dallas Racer likes this
Richard L. Hofer

#25 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted Today, 03:22 PM

Commercial slot racing will die with our generation.

I think we should go out with a bang and make it the best we can

Did you see NBC showing the drone racing last weekend? That's the kind of stuff that is happening now.

Mike Low

Electric Dreams Online Shop