Photo

Is balancing tires and gears permissible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:12 PM

I am curious if balancing tires and gears is acceptable in all but the lowest class racing? it sure would be a bummer to balance your whole load of spec tires or whatever then have some "Yord" protest you into buying more rubber at the last minute.

i was fixing up a bunch of hollow koford axles with Camen gears to be fitted with my hand cut tires for PA's race but now find I can't go. the thought of having tires protested out due to being balanced was weighing heavily on me until i was diagnosed with the "Big C" yesterday. getting to a track is next to impossible for me but i would not like it if i got there and tire balancing or gear drilling was deemed illegal.

Jess Gonzales

#2 CARSHouston

CARSHouston

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:46 PM

Your hollow axle wouldn't be legal in Grp F or OMB.. The gear doesn't matter. Grp F, OMB, and Hillbilly require spec tires bought at the raceway.

At the Nats, spec tires for Grp F, OMB, Hillbilly and C12 as per USRA rules. 27L and Opens no rules on your gear, axle, or tire combo
George Marsanick Jr

#3 chasbeeman

chasbeeman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:49 PM

Very sad to hear of your recent diagnosis. Praying Godspeed for your remission. This hobby has helped me through some dark times and hopefully will for you as well!

Kind regards,

Chas
  • Jesse Gonzales likes this
Charles Beeman

#4 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:52 PM

OK, so if I bought the spec tire and balanced them they would still be legal unless I removed the marker placed by the track? Correct?

Hollow axles were for the higher class of racing, as would have been any of my hand-wound armatures.

Jess Gonzales

#5 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

I haven't seen any rules against balancing. I tried balancing the entire unit (tires and gear on axle) with a magnetic prop balancer when I was Eurosport racing, but found no real advantage.

Obviously larger tires will respond more favorably, but generally if a tire was far enough out of balance I just didn't use it.

#6 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

I am curious if balancing tires and gears is acceptable in all but the lowest class racing? it sure would be a bummer to balance your whole load of spec tires or whatever then have some "Yord" protest you into buying more rubber at the last minute.

I balance my gears and tires.  For anyone curious, this is my Slotblog post, including a link to a Youtube video, regarding how I do it using a poor-man's balancer.

As far as rules go for a spec class, I believe it would make sense to say that gears and tires can be balanced, but only by adding weight (no drilling or grinding allowed).  

#7 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:36 AM

The magnetic prop balancer was most effective. I used cut pieces of body pins stuck into the foam close in to the hub. 

I could get the assemblies balanced to where they would not stop at the same place when lightly spun. Still, no real

improvement in lap times. 

#8 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

...i was diagnosed with the "Big C" yesterday...

Wow...I'm very sorry to hear that, Jesse. I hope you're going to be OK buddy!

Phil Smith ® ©

#9 dalek

dalek

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

The magnetic prop balancer was most effective. I used cut pieces of body pins stuck into the foam close in to the hub. 

I could get the assemblies balanced to where they would not stop at the same place when lightly spun. Still, no real

improvement in lap times. 

Even though I balance my gears and tires, I can't say that it makes my cars any faster.  However, I still do it for a couple of reasons.

One, I cringe when I free-rev a car and it vibrates.

Two,  when I install wheels that have been balanced, I can align their setscrews with the gear setscrew and it won't make the car vibrate more than if I staggered the setscrews.  
Aligning the setscrews has two advantages -- one, it's easier to find the wheel setscrews when I need to take the wheels off, and two, I would know if the gear or a wheel is slipping on the axle.

When a wheel is balanced, it rarely needs to be rebalanced for the life of the tire.  And when I balance a wheel, I don't spend time trying to get it perfect -- I just get it close.  

Electric Dreams Online Shop