• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

Not one person that travels the series as at Eddies last Saturday. So is the series going to just be locals at their home tracks no one traveling?

Brian Ambrose

#2 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:25 PM

Brian:

Daniel and I were ready to go, but after seeing Bucky's post we were waiting for some response. Friday afternoon after not seeing any announcements of the race, and no one talking about going to the race, we decided we wouldn't go.

Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
120 West Crown Pointe Rd, Suite 114
Winter Garden, FL 34787

#3 Bucky

Bucky

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

You were missed. The local turnout was pretty good, and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Regarding the overall series, I'd like to see it survive. I probably can't make all the races, but I'd like to travel for a couple this coming season. From what has been posted on here, it sounds like the Avon Park track might be an option for a future race if the owner were to be open to the idea.
  • Marcus P1 Raceway likes this
Aaron Rothstein

#4 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:56 AM

(You were missed. The local turnout was pretty good, and everyone seemed to have a good time.)

I think it was the first race I've missed in the last 4 years. Usually when I have races on my track I try to make contact with the drivers to know who comes to be able to promote the series.
Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
Winter Garden, FL 34787

#5 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

Marcus why did you have to see anyone talking about the race? You know the schedule and where eddies is at. I would love the fact to see a race at Avon Park. Hi were the pit area is literally the pits. Not enough room to work on your cars after setting your box on the table. Wish there was more room its a nice track. I do not wish the new owner any bad luck.

Brian Ambrose

#6 Marcus P1 Raceway

Marcus P1 Raceway

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

Marcus why did you have to see anyone talking about the race? You know the schedule and where eddies is at. I would love the fact to see a race at Avon Park. Hi were the pit area is literally the pits. Not enough room to work on your cars after setting your box on the table. Wish there was more room its a nice track. I do not wish the new owner any bad luck.

Brian, I don't think you would go to a race you need to drive for more than 3 hours and all those you asked said they wouldn't go to the race. I was waiting for a post from the Raceway owner or another racers informing about possible interested in racing, but never saw.
Marcus Ramos

P1 Slot Car Raceway
Winter Garden, FL 34787

#7 gatormark

gatormark

Race Leader

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:10 AM

What series are yall talking about?
Mark Conner

#8 dalek

dalek

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

What series are yall talking about?

This thread is in the Florida Slot Car Series forum so that's the series that the OP was referring to.

• Terry Tawney likes this

#9 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

As most of you know Doc Dougherty has moved to Ohio and has therefore stepped down from the FSCS Board of Directors (BoD).  And now I feel the time is right for me to step down as well.  Please understand that I'm not upset with anyone, and have enjoyed helping with the series, but it just doesn't make sense for me to be in a voting position in the FSCS when I don't even race in the series. However I will say I always had the best intentions for the series and wanted it to succeed.  I hope that the FSCS, or some other Flexi series, will continue here in Florida, and I would like to make a few of the races, but my main focus will be GRRR as it is now Tony P and I running it.

• Wizard Of Iz likes this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors (2022-Present),

Gator Region Retro Racing Co-Director (2021-Present)

SERRA Co-Director (2009-2013)

IRRA BoD advisor (2007-2010)

Team Slick 7 member (1998-2001)

Way too serious Retro racer

#10 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:30 PM

More CNN stuff. Freedom of speech dont exist here.

Brian Ambrose

#11 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Sounds like maybe the series will get better now without the finger down on the directors. Ed and Marcus have had many different ideas but where always shot down with the other directors that are no longer there.

Brian Ambrose

#12 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:07 PM

That is a BOLD FACE LIE, Brian and you know it. Everything that Marcus and Ed wanted is being run in the series. The raceway owners decided to end the plaques and go with prizes, they got it. The raceway owners wanted to run DMT bodies instead of GTP bodies for half the year, they got it. The raceway owners wanted to add more bodies to the approved listing, they got it. The raceway owners wanted to permit the latest Mossetti chassis without a waiting period, they got it. And there are many more examples. The one thing that I would not approve was a GTP body that is 3.5" (88mm) wide. What's next, a body that is 4" wide. How about a 5" wide body? lets go for it!

What any series needs is the raceway owner/director to make a clear race announcement, publish the race results on a timely fashion, and promote the series thru local weekly races. What a series does not need is someone like you and others who continually bad mouth the series and the directors and promote the idea that racers should boycott the series if they don't like the rules.

All this is pretty rich coming from a racer who intentionally tried to tech cars that he knew were not legal, then when you got bounced (by your own raceway owner I might add) you walked back to your pit, threw your car into your box and said that you were done with the series. Nice example!

• Samiam likes this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#13 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:39 AM

Brian, I was giving you a 12 hour timeout on this thread. Now your thread is open again; please make good use of it.

Also, I want everyone to know that in a phone message, Brian called me a coward for locking the thread over-night. And he said something about that he had talked to Marcus & Ed and they said that Bill & I held the series back. Sort of saying that Bill & I are responsible for the failing of the series. What I like to know is what was it specifically that Bill & I did that destroyed the series. I was leaving the series as a director by the end of the year. However, the sudden move to Ohio has moved things up about 4 months.

So, let me get this straight. Sniper#1 and Sniper#2 snipe at the series for 4 years saying things like its the worse series in the country, we need to change the rules, boycott the series if you don't like the rules, and that something is so wrong with the series that racers are leaving to race in another state because the series is so bad. Also, Sniper#1 has a temper tantrum at a race and throws his car into his slot car box shouting that he is "I am done with this series".

So I suggest that, in order to save flexi racing in Florida that Sniper#1 and Sniper#2 should join forces and start your own state level series. Its easy:

1) Make your own ruleset or copy someone else's ruleset; publish the ruleset.

2) Talk to the raceway owners and make a race schedule; publish the schedule.

3) Have plaques or prizes or give out nothing.

4) Decide on a reasonable entry fee.

5) Make race announcement on a timely fashion 1 to 2 weeks before each race.

6) Publish race reports in a timely fashion.

7) Keep the driver points if there is a year end championship to be decided.

8) Tech the cars at each race.

9) Take pics of the racers or podium for the race report.

If Sniper#1 and Sniper#2 following this outline, I am sure that the series will be a success. But then Sniper#3 might come forward and maybe Sniper#4 and Sniper#5. Enjoy your series and have fun racing. I hope that the new series will do well; what could possibly go wrong.

Doc Dougherty
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio

#14 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

"No good deed shall go unpunished"

Doc, I've learned over the years that those who bitch the most do the least.

• Cheater, Half Fast, Jason Holmes and 1 other like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#15 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

That is a BOLD FACE LIE, Brian and you know it. Everything that Marcus and Ed wanted is being run in the series. The raceway owners decided to end the plaques and go with prizes, they got it. The raceway owners wanted to run DMT bodies instead of GTP bodies for half the year, they got it. The raceway owners wanted to add more bodies to the approved listing, they got it. The raceway owners wanted to permit the latest Mossetti chassis without a waiting period, they got it. And there are many more examples. The one thing that I would not approve was a GTP body that is 3.5" (88mm) wide. What's next, a body that is 4" wide. How about a 5" wide body? lets go for it!

What any series needs is the raceway owner/director to make a clear race announcement, publish the race results on a timely fashion, and promote the series thru local weekly races. What a series does not need is someone like you and others who continually bad mouth the series and the directors and promote the idea that racers should boycott the series if they don't like the rules.

All this is pretty rich coming from a racer who intentionally tried to tech cars that he knew were not legal, then when you got bounced (by your own raceway owner I might add) you walked back to your pit, threw your car into your box and said that you were done with the series. Nice example!

My thoughts begin with the phrase "If I had a nickel for..."

Stewarding any series, particularly one with a central concept, is a ridiculous task. The more you try to explain why decisions are made, the worse it gets for the people whose agendas don't match that of the central concept and the louder they become. Then, the exact moment when other circumstances force a compromise because of the weight of sustaining the series versus maintaining the concept, it shows just how fragile the whole operation really was.
  • DOCinCanton likes this

#16 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

My thoughts begin with the phrase "If I had a nickel for..."

Stewarding any series, particularly one with a central concept, is a ridiculous task. The more you try to explain why decisions are made, the worse it gets for the people whose agendas don't match that of the central concept and the louder they become. Then, the exact moment when other circumstances force a compromise because of the weight of sustaining the series versus maintaining the concept, it shows just how fragile the whole operation really was.

Well said.

No series rule set will ever please every racer. And to try usually just means even fewer racers are happy.
  • DOCinCanton likes this

Rollin Isbell

#17 Bucky

Bucky

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

Rollin, when do you plan on returning to racing and filling the void left by Doc and Jay? I have some rule suggestions I'd like to run past you. 😉
Aaron Rothstein

#18 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

Doc, please get your opinions correct before you state them as facts. I never once said to anyone to boycott the series, I also never said Ed and Marcus told me you and Bill held the series back. That is the twisted words of your own.

Brian Ambrose

#19 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

It's no secret I have a temper. Thats something I can't help. You should have seen me when I raced real cars. Oh my what a difference.

Brian Ambrose

#20 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:37 PM

C'mon y'all... Get your **** together!

All this bitching ain't helping a thing!!!

If you don't like the way it was run, step up as a promoter, and run it your way.

Let's just race slot cars and get along!

"Live together, or die alone"

Rotor

• Cheater and DOCinCanton like this
Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#21 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

My facts are spot on. I never said that you were the one who called for a boycott. That was Sniper#2.

Doc Dougherty

#22 Tampabay racer

Tampabay racer

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:38 PM

Rotor youre correct.
  • Rotorranch likes this

Brian Ambrose

#23 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

In otherwords, SHUT UP AND RACE!!!

If you don't go race somewhere, there will be no place left to race!

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#24 Bucky

Bucky

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:04 PM

The only way to resolve this is with a slot car death race. Winner gets to stomp the losers controller, thus ending their slot car life. I propose Doc comes down for the Retro Rumble and whoever places higher in Can Am gets to do the stomping. 

• Wizard Of Iz likes this
Aaron Rothstein

#25 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

Rollin, when do you plan on returning to racing and filling the void left by Doc and Jay? I have some rule suggestions I'd like to run past you.

I miss racing.  And, I really miss having a local track to race at.  Can you imagine how much of a menace I'd be today???  No car would be safe.  :)

But I'm not the guy to step in.  Doc and Jay are both retired and overseeing a Series is dang near a full-time job.

Rollin Isbell

Electric Dreams Online Shop