• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NHBandit

NHBandit

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

Here's my dilemma. I just bought some stuff on eBay and among the parts was a Cox mag chassis I intended to use for a project. The combination of the usual corrosion and the sellers fuzzy out-of-focus pics made me think it was just needing a mild blasting with glass beads.

Once clean it became obvious that not only had someone drilled out the holes for the rear axle to use with oillites or bearings but both holes were also cracked all the way through. So because the seller pretty much says in all of his auctions to expect damages and that he doesn't take returns (what a coincidence), I'm thinking I might try to fix it.

Can I solder in a pair of oillights and call it good or is it junk? What say the experts?

IMG_4418Cracked Cox chassis.JPG

Mark Sturtevant  

#2 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

Mark

I believe you can just glue in the oilites. Don't think you can solder mag. A lot of Retro racers glue in their bearings.

jason 

• Ramcatlarry likes this

#3 NHBandit

NHBandit

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:04 PM

That's what I suspected.

Any particular kind of glue? I've got JB Weld.

Mark Sturtevant  

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:07 PM

Personally speaking, I'd find a close fit for the OD in brass tubing, cut off a couple of short pieces with notches to clear the chassis connections. Then, clean the area well where the tube pieces will fit over the cracked sections immediately before working on it and slather-on some JB Weld. After setting, any part of the brass and/or JB Weld repair that's proud of the chassis can be sanded flush. I think this would have a good chance of working well. Whatever you do, don't try an acetylene torch (just kidding, but I did see that done to a magnesium loading dock ramp when I was a kid working at a scrap yard. It made for great entertainment... for a while anyway).

After the above, the oilites or bearings can also be epoxied-in and that will help strengthen the area even more. 
If you'll be using oilites, make sure they are clean and dry before epoxying them in.
  • NHBandit and Jesse Gonzales like this
John Havlicek

#5 NHBandit

NHBandit

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:29 PM

But setting magnesium on fire is so much fun. I remember we did that in high school science class and it sure did burn bright.

And... don't even get me started with salvage yard stories. I spent half my life managing salvage yards. You should see how high you can launch a guy sitting on a couch when you set off three airbags under the couch... 

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.

• Rotorranch and Jesse Gonzales like this

Mark Sturtevant  

#6 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:40 PM

I would epoxy bushings in and I would come up with some kind of girdle around the outside that I would epoxy around the outside of the whole bearing ears.   

• NHBandit likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#7 NHBandit

NHBandit

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:02 PM

Thanks guys. Did the "girdle" trick and now I need to order some oillites. And FYI a spent 9mm round if you cut it near the base is thick walled Brass and exactly the right ID. 

• Rotorranch likes this

Mark Sturtevant  

#8 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:51 PM

You can span the area between the holes with a 1/4" I.D. brass tube that will fit behind the motor. You can then use standard oilites. The tube can be epoxied in and the full length tube will ad strength to the compromised area. 

• NHBandit likes this

Joe Lupo

#9 Rotorranch

Rotorranch

What's a title?

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

Thanks guys. Did the "girdle" trick and now I need to order some oillites. And FYI a spent 9mm round if you cut it near the base is thick walled Brass and exactly the right ID. 

ROFLMAO! 

Rotor

Jeff Chambers

Posted Image      Posted Image
                                         "Kinky Kar"

#10 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 01 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

But setting magnesium on fire is so much fun. I remember we did that in high school science class and it sure did burn bright.

And... don't even get me started with salvage yard stories. I spent half my life managing salvage yards. You should see how high you can launch a guy sitting on a couch when you set off three airbags under the couch... 

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.

If you're soldering with a torch, mag can be ignited. If you're using a soldering iron you won't get fire. Mag burns when the melting point is exceeded. I have never seen a 1200°F soldering iron with enough mass to light off mag. Open flames are much hotter.

To answer the question: yes, you can solder mag but it's not easy and you'd need a fixture to hold everything while heating and then there's a flux somewhere that used for it. Acid flux wouldn't work, neither would paste flux. Mag is also like aluminum where the metal being heated looks OK until it melts. It doesn't turn red or change colors as it gets hotter (this applies to torch heating since a soldering iron just doesn't have the capacity to melt mag).

I'd use JB weld. DO NOT HEAT JB Weld. It works best if it sets at room temperature to about 150°F max. Make a fixture for holding everything in alignment and then use wax paper or car wax to keep the epoxy from sticking to things it shouldn't.

• Jason Holmes likes this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#11 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

So because the seller pretty much says in all of his auctions to expect damages and that he doesn't take returns (what a coincidence), I'm thinking I might try to fix it.

It doesn't matter what stipulations the seller makes, eBay will require the seller to pay for return shipping and refund your money in full. 

• MattD and NHBandit like this

Phil Smith ® ©

#12 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Same deal as a seller saying if you want your purchase insured, you must request it and pay for it..  Seller states I am not responsible for the Post Office delivery".    That doesn't work.   Seller is still liable if you use Paypal, just as Phil said.   Ebay pretty much sides with the buyer on any  problems.

• Dallas Racer, Jason Holmes and NHBandit like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

Electric Dreams Online Shop