#1 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:01 PM

I suppose the first problem is AT&T... They have been out to the shop at least eight times since the business moved here to move our phones and DSL to another pair of wires. One technician (and verified a couple of times more) that the cables in this area are 70+ years old and have never been replaced. When I first moved into this location the landline phone used to click, pop and "swirl." That was the first sign that something was wrong.

When we received the DSL there were no problems... for a while... Then, we couldn't keep the line up... wire switch #2 fixed that...now, on 10/30/19 AT&T needs to switch to another pair.

The previous line problem I had to wade through *13* different phone "agents", for three hours, before I could be connected up with someone who could help. Turns out the DSL line and the voice line are *separate* accounts. I pay AT&T on one bill but the services are divided up into little kingdoms which cannot communicate with each other.

The other thing I learned is that, somehow, Sonic's voice landline and my personal phone are tied together in their "service" information. There is no relationship between my personal and business dealings and how AT&T combined them is beyond me.

When I do reach an "agent" who is responsible for the DSL problems it has been professional and useful but getting there is a waste of time and a cause of great frustration.

(As an aside, my father worked for Pacific Telephone for 40 years and he retired partly because he saw changes in the phone company that he couldn't accept: the focus went from service and reliability to profit. I was raised that things like power, water, phone services #1 job was reliability. I guess I'm old fashioned.)

So, on Monday, another tech is scheduled to come out and swap copper so we can get access to the internet. Maybe #9 is the fix. I'm not holding my breath.

I should have gone with Spectrum.

• boxerdog likes this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#2 Highnoon

Highnoon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

Yes AT&T is the worst. Direct TV was great till they bought it and ruined it.

I worked for Cleveland Electric Illuminating for 25 years and it was all about reliability and service; loved that company. But they were bought by money-hungry Ohio Edison and they killed a great place to work. I and scores of other people left.

Yes, getting good internet is tough. I would go Spectrum. Phone companies suck.

• boxerdog and Jesse Gonzales like this
Gary Cooper

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,815 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

The "new" AT&T isn't connected with the "old" AT&T, except by name only. I think the "new" is the former SBC Communications headquartered in TX. I don't know whether you're being served by aerial or buried plant, but it sure sounds like you're working through some aged pulp (paper) insulated cable. This type of cable is highly susceptible to both moisture and rodent damage. It may have been spliced poorly, too.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

Like Bill said, the old USA-owned AT&T was good. The new AT&T is a joke, I had extremely bad service from them when moving from one residence to another. Left hand doesn't talk to right hand, they farmed out customer service overseas and did a poor job of it. It's a nightmare of a company.

• Rotorranch and Jesse Gonzales like this
Paul Wolcott

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:21 PM

AT&T is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with, and that's an opinion based on almost 30 years of dealing with them intermittently, both at consumer and business levels.

Just one small example: when my company had a partial T1 line for voice and data, when it went down, we were essentially out of business. I would have to hold 4-5 hours just to open a trouble ticket. And I had an AT&T vice president tell me that was acceptable as far as they were concerned!
  • Bryan Warmack and boxerdog like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:14 PM

Recently I was having trouble with a Direct TV box losing reception and just about the same time received a letter from Direct TV announcing proudly that they were now AT&T. I called the number they said to call if you were experiencing any problems and after all the usual transfers and delays I was finally given another number to call. I called it and it immediately said that the number was disconnected and there was no new number!! After wasting hours over a two-day period I finally convinced them to send a new box.

It is inconceivable that AT&T is still in business, as this last contact of mine was totally indicative of all the misery that any communication with AT&T has brought over the years.

Greg is right. I have never dealt with any company so incompetent.

• boxerdog likes this

#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,815 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:45 PM

In a nutshell, it's a case of having too much technology and too little training to support them. When I last worked for a regional phone company in 2010 it was in photonic switching on a new broadband network. I can't imagine what they've thought of in the nine years since I left.

Bill Fernald

#8 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:25 PM

I remember dealing with the "Bells," Mountain Bell was a dream to coordinate city projects with, they were well run companies under ATT&T but that ended when the divestiture happened, after that it slid into the bog. No progress here, just more shlock.

Jess Gonzales

• Bill from NH likes this

#9 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:59 AM

"We don't care. We don't have to. We're the phone company."

Lily Tomlin
  • Rotorranch likes this

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#10 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

Greg is right. I have never dealt with any company so incompetent.

Well, you might look at PG&E, another private utility...

David Cummerow

#11 SoCal Bill

SoCal Bill

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

That's interesting -  around here AT&T is "slower" than Spectrum, but the service and uptime is much better. We have 75m service and get 85. 

The people around here that pay for 300m Spectrum get between 24 and 100 that varies widely. Their ping times and latencies are crazy, too. As long as they are up, Spectrum will not help. Our AT&T service has been down for about 30 minutes since 1990. They drop for short periods of time every day and go down for hours at least ever other month. I just wish AT&T would bring fiber to the home around here. 

Sorry you are having problems but ask your neighbors with Spectrum how they are doing before you change. Could be better - but...

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
Bill Fagan

#12 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:44 AM

Probably depends on if the lines in your area have been upgraded to fiber optical yet, or not. Since the changeover, I haven't had any problems, and my only service call two years ago was handled by AT&T the same day.

Three weeks ago Comcast sent linemen to remove the cable from the house behind me which is going to be torn down, and threw the removed cable into my yard. I didn't see it in the grass and ran over it with my rider, which picked it up and wound it around the blades and rear axle. I had to jack the machine up and get down on hands and knees to clear it out. Not an easy task for someone with severe arthritis.

I called Comcast the next day, and their rep claimed no Comcast service people had been in the area for two weeks. Of course, it took half an hour to get through to a person. 

#13 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

.... More....

I should expand my rant:

The DSL is flawless in the morning and early afternoon. Then about 3:30pm the DSL goes down. HARD. EVERY. DAY. Rebooting the modem has no effect: it won't connect. Period. Somewhere about 7pm the system goes back up and stays up. (Just in case some smart A comments: I do not have the router/modem set to turn off/on at specific times).

AT&T should sell it's land system to someone else (Frontier?) and just go away. They want to be regulation-free so why not do it?

Yes, I get that landlines are old tech and why do I still use it? I do not like the quality of sound on cell phones. They still go up and down in volume. They are shrill. They will not work in a power outage (didja know that landlines are independently powered by the phone company?). The phone stays on my desk and I won't be searching for it when I want to use it.

I will be looking into Spectrum. My business neighbor has it and he's been upgraded to 200mbs and is paying the same price (unbundled) as I am with DSL.... the time to switch and give AT&T "the bird". I'm tired of the bad service.

BTW... I have AT&T U-Verse at my home. It's been a dream: reliable, fast, cheaper than the landline/DSL I had and they supplied a heavy-duty wireless router (it looks commercial quality). AT&T doesn't have fibre in the Sonic area. They keep saying it's coming soon but I've been hearing that for 10 years. Spectrum is here now.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#14 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

That's interesting -  around here AT&T is "slower" than Spectrum, but the service and uptime is much better. We have 75m service and get 85. 

The people around here that pay for 300m Spectrum get between 24 and 100 that varies widely. Their ping times and latencies are crazy, too. As long as they are up, Spectrum will not help. Our AT&T service has been down for about 30 minutes since 1990. They drop for short periods of time every day and go down for hours at least ever other month. I just wish AT&T would bring fiber to the home around here. 

Sorry you are having problems but ask your neighbors with Spectrum how they are doing before you change. Could be better - but...

The two business neighbors across the parking lot and the business next door have Spectrum and they have no problems with speed or reliability. So, I think three out of three is doing pretty good. Both of those businesses hated AT&T for the same reasons as I have ranted about. The guy next door is new and he never installed AT&T.

Speed really isn't the issue: reliability is.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#15 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,734 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:19 PM

One source of problems is the use of contractors.

Our apartment complex includes Spectrum internet and two premium channels in our monthly rent; financially it is a good deal. Getting a human on line usually takes three phone calls to insure them you have done all the normal corrective steps to restore cable. Internet speeds are often both faster and slower than normal. It has never been slow enough to cause buffering.

Now for the stupidity. :dash2:

They sent only two of the three stooges to install new routers. Instead of using a stud finder, they just knocked on the wall to figure out where to cut access holes. I offered to loan them one of mine or even give them my spare, they declined. They had to enlarge the hole because they miscalculated. This required them to go to Lowes Home Improvement to buy a bigger cover for the now too-large hole. 

I got off easy, in one of our other buildings they started on the third floor and hit a pipe that started a water leak. Since that apartment and the ones below on the second and first floors occupants were at work nobody stopped the leak for hours. Those three apartments are going to be rebuilt on a two-month timetable. There is a large loud generator running there 24/7. They ended up having all apartments inspected three more times, each time claiming it to be the last while giving you a two-day window on the inspection. The last time they never came to my apartment and nobody called me to tell me the inspection was over. It could have been worse as electrical lines were close to the water pipes.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#16 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

Mike,

I almost posted about the phone companies using contractors almost exclusively.

Call me racist or whatever you want, but virtually every contractor from one of these internet/phone companies that have come to my house was an immigrant from another country. Not that they weren't nice people or competent... but why is this occuring so predominantly? These aren't jobs Americans won't take...
  • Jesse Gonzales likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#17 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

Wow I guess I'm in a world all my own i have AT&T Everything Landline High speed Internet Direct TV and 6 cell phones  I did get the Ins. for DTV and I do have a Corporate acct. though my ex employer retired Boeing that helps with Cost and gets me some different Numbers to call on some things but if I do have a problem it's fixed most of the time before I get off the Phone if not then by the next day been with them for a long time  Now don't get me started on Frontier they Stink at my office but I'm only there 4 days a week for 2+ hrs so I can Live 

jason

#18 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,815 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

Call me racist or whatever you want, but virtually every contractor from one of these internet/phone companies that have come to my house was an immigrant from another country. Not that they weren't nice people or competent... but why is this occuring so predominantly? These aren't jobs Americans won't take...

Around here, those contractors work for Amazon delivering packages. If you order something from them the post office isn't involved in delivering, you might get it, & you might not, More than once, I've had packages left in the neighborhood when I've been at home all day. One  neighbor, who  has gotten some of my boxes, had to scout the neighborhood for an expensive gift for his wife, that was supposedly delivered, but never found. He lives on a "flag lot" so his house isn't easily seen from a main road or by porch pirates. They haven't be a problem here anyways.

Back on telephone company contractors. It sure sounds like all your complaints are with "craft" people. I, myself was a consulting engineer  (a contractor) from 1995-2010 in telecommunications. I was not inept, then I came with 25+ years of "Bell System" experience too. Much of my consulting work has been done here in New England, but I also spent a couple years in Denver while working in Utah, Oregon, & Washington. As I stated in the paragraph above, no industry, including the slot car industry, today is full of "superstars" or immune from their share of "clowns." Some clowns just stick out better than others. :laugh2:  :laugh2:

Bill Fernald

#19 Bob Appelle

Bob Appelle

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

If you not on a fiber feed to the junction box near you home, your service will be average at best. even if it is fiber, the copper line length needs to be less than 3500 feet  from the fiber cabinet to your home. If your on a total copper loop, anything over 11000 feet is so so, and the have to be conditioned, remove bridge tap = any wire in the loop that continues past your connection. If you want good service, get cable. Telephone lines were designed for voice, nor data. That's just my take after 31 years with Ma Bell and 8 years of DSL and T-1 installation.

Hemi Bob

#20 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

Spectrum will be installing their system next Wednesday.

Two Thursdays ago I talked to Spectrum. In the meantime, I had an AT&T tech appointment to recheck the lines on the following day. The tech comes out and checks everything and says the lines are clear (including the interior wiring in the building) and that "nothing's wrong. It's all the kids coming home from school turning on high-def TVs" (I'm calling BS to that explanation)...... Think about that for a moment.... let it sink in.... AT&T, a multi-multi-multi billion dollar corporation is being stressed by school kids in Gardena, California. 

So... in the last week there were 3 internet failures. Like clockwork. The same time of day. One day we were preparing for shipping for the next day and couldn't use the services needed... the last 3 hours of the day were useless for many of the things we need to do... ya know, AT&T?... Business.... aggravation, raised bood pressure and just the flat out being charged (any amount at this time) for 3rd world service ain't worth it...

If AT&T's main "smartest guy in the room" didn't waste $umteen bizzlion on buying a dying satellite company and trying to become the next Hollywood mogul he might have concentrated on getting fiber to his customers, increasing the quality of customer service, fixing their website/internet experience but, no, he's out to "leave a legacy"... another egotistic CEO who can't give a "S" about customers.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#21 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:34 PM

I dropped both Direct TV and ATT the same month this past summer. I had "Enterprise" (business) cell service from ATT. Have good home internet service from Cox.

We changed to T-Mobile for phones and are using YouTube TV in place of cable or satelite service.

Signals have never been better and we're saving hundred$ every month. Both T-Mobile and You Tube TV have customer service lines that are answered 24/7.

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop