• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NHBandit

NHBandit

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

So I had a strange experience this afternoon but a good one. I went back to the little hole in the wall antique shop where I scored 3 vintage 1/24 scale cars last month. I had remembered the guy had a couple of bins full of toy soldiers, cowboys & Indians, etc for a quarter each and I had the off the wall idea to cut the head off a toy cowboy if he had one the right size wearing a cowboy hat to use on a Shelby Cobra I'm working on. The wife & I went and saw the Ford V Ferrari movie last weekend and Carrol Shelby is driving a Blue Cobra in the movie as his daily driver. Found the perfect toy figure and was telling the guy why I wanted it and he said, "by the way I found another slot car hidden away upstairs". Good deal, I'm your guy. So he comes out with this Unique Engineering Chaparral. Looks to be absolutely 100% original right down to the tires & wheels. He says 10 bucks... So now I have this one as well as the Unique Ford GT roadster I bought from him last month (also all original). If I had to guess I think these cars he keeps finding were bought new in the mid 60s, run a little and then put away until I found them. Like the saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. Any tips for repairing the 2 cracks in the rear body panel ? I'm leaving this one alone other than maybe repairing those and maybe trying to locate the correct number stickers. Also both cars are missing the driver's heads but have holes where they would have been. Finding those might be a challenge. 

Attached Images

• IMG_4467.JPG
  • IMG_4468.JPG
  • IMG_4469.JPG

• Peter Horvath, garyvmachines, Ricky Vegas and 3 others like this

Mark Sturtevant  

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

$10 well spent !!  :)

• NHBandit likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:47 AM

I think both Professor Motor and Electric Dreams have repro driver heads, and if you hang around ebay, you will see lots of miscellaneous lots with heads, busts, etc. 

I'll let the body experts answer for the splits... in my amateur way, I often just use clear epoxy when no material is missing. 

Don 

• NHBandit likes this

#4 Ricky Vegas

Ricky Vegas

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

"Out of the blue" finds bring back the exact same feelings we had as kids opening slot car presents at Christmas and on birthdays.

Very cool you found these Unique Engineering cars! 

• NHBandit likes this
Richard Hill

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."  - Steve McQueen

Electric Dreams Online Shop