• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all and your families. There is so much that i am thankful for in my life. One is this hobby- collecting, racing, vintage to new, h.o. to 1/24 scales, and all of the friends that i have made along the way, worldwide thanks to this forum. Lately i am mostly enjoying vintage era 1/24 cars- racing, building, restoring, collecting, and making newly built vintage era cars from model kits for display and racing. When i see a model kit- i see a slot car to build!

Thanks to all who have helped me over the years, answering many questions, helping me to source parts, even sending me stuff for free! You guys are the best. Thankful too that there is a group of us racing vintage era slot cars here in New Jersey. I am having the most fun racing slot cars ever! It all started when bak in the late 60s i was tiring of my Mini Motorific cars needing new batteries, when a school mate introducted me to his Aurora h.o. scale T-jet slot car set. I got the Formula-1 set for a gift, and have been in this hobby ever since. I am thankful that there are several slot car raceways in my area, lots of others racing 1/32 plasticars and h.o. scale T-Jets, and 1/24 scale Retro racing is big in the NJ area as well. 

So- buy, build, race, collect slot cars of any type. Help a newbie. Race a completely different scale/type of car then what you normally race. make new slot car buddies. Support your local raceway and hobby shop. Post your slot car activities here on Slotblog. And let's keep this hobby alive.   :)

• Pete L., Lone Wolf and Peter Horvath like this

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 

Glenn, like you I am thankful for this hobby as well. 

Those of us of a certain age were the luckiest generation in my opinion.

Firstly, we owe a debt of gratitude to the dedicated people of companies like Aurora, Monogram, Revell , Cox, AMT, MPC, and the list goes on. Those people put pride in their work and turned out detailed quality products. 

Also thankful that as a Chevy man I saw the Grump beat Sox & Martin on occasion with his Vega, Rode Schwinn Stingrays, Built motor and mini bikes out of junk, drank some Boones Farm and Tango and smoked a little herb rolled in Strawberry papers  :crazy: and the list goes on.

Hell, I am grateful I was there. 

God Bless America.

• Pete L. and garyvmachines like this

Joe Lupo

#3 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:36 PM

Joe- my mother was a big racing fan, so we watched Nascar, Can-Am and Trans-Am racing on tv and she took me to Raceway Park, Englishtown-Old Bridge, NJ and i saw late 60s-early 70s drag races. Loved the Pro stockers and gassers! Yes i too rode Stingray bikes, rode mini bikes, street raced in the 75 era, drove all types of muscle cars, built Tom Daniels Monogram models (one a week!), had GI Joes when they were new, ho trains, u-cotrol gas engine planes, cars, the Cox Trike, etc etc. And not much has changed either! Oh yeah, 60's psychedilic music, 70s classic rock, blues lps. The list goes on and on!

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

#4 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all the sloters out there!  Enjoy your weekend!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

Glenn, I used ABC wide world of sports Nascar races with my Mom as well. She loved Petty.

Still listening drug music. Listened to two Strawberry alarm clock albums yesterday. They are better than you may think. 

Tom Daniel was my man. I was a big model collector back in the day and had every Daniel's kit including store displays. Alas, they are all gone except for the original issue of the Street fighter which was my favorite.

Speaking of Cox, I remember I got the dragster for my birthday. The first time I ran it it went down the string and popped the chute, then it flipped over and f'ed up the drivers canopy. I was devastated  :dash2:

Sorry for rambling.

Joe Lupo

#6 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

Joe- that's ok. I have been listening to Canned Heat lately- hippy pysch blues band. I had the Cox Trike, used to put on of my old GI Joes in it. Then it turned and went deep into a puddle of rain water, and the engine never ran properly after that. Had a few Shrikes, still have the last one issued from the 1990's in the box. And i still have a big record collection- 50's-70's rock, blues, R&B, rockabilly, Elvis, and more.

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing

Electric Dreams Online Shop