• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:11 PM

True. Kids are kids, even the ones our age. I guess I'm trying to figure out why they are so mesmerized by the trains, but slot cars

don't have the same attraction. If they are getting their share of the competitive aspect from video games, I guess we are not going

to see an influx of young people into our sport. At least not until they become bored with the games. With the continual introduction

of new games, that might not happen. There is a creative aspect to model railroading that you can't get from video games. Not even

the ones like "Forge of Empires", which I tried during a free trial and did not find it fulfilling. Certainly, not every kid has the mental 

dexterity to succeed with on-line games. I know that because there is a very large contingent of "tuner" street racers in this area. I

also know (because my neighbor is a cop) that street racing backs down during the winter months. So I am baffled why these guys

don't get involved in slot racing during this time. I realize that some get into R/C cars, but not all of them want to spend big bucks on

a hobby that could be better put into their real cars. So after mulling this over for some time, and following the posts on the subject

here, I still don't see an answer. A track in this area has started a kids series, and I will be watching that. But I don't believe that

teenagers want to be considered kids. IMHO they should be assimilated into the full racing program, and welcomed and mentored

by us all.    

• Rotorranch likes this

#27 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

First, I was the Eddie Shorer in the LA Times article, but it musta been a different one who raced a Parma race. I was MIA from slot car racing from 1969 till 2005 except for popping in to see a USRA race in Detroit in '86 or '87.

As to the naysayers about the death of slot cars when we old folks die off...   While it is a different kind of slot car racing compared to Retro, there are very strong groups of racers in Europe (Spain, Italy, Germany) and in Eastern Europe, who are in their 30s, 40s, 50s. Look at the podiums in IRRA races and you'll see it's not all guys in their 60s, for the most part. I think some of those guys will "somehow" keep it going in ways we can't foresee. Retro may not continue, but slot car racing will, for a good long while.

Meanwhile, we've got some good years left in us; Let's make the most of them!

Eddie

• Tim Neja likes this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#28 Fred Zufelt

Fred Zufelt

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

I have to disagree that slot cars are dying.

I decided to try slot racing a couple of years ago.

I raced on and off from 60's even owned a commercial track 93 to 2011. then nothing until 2017.

I see a strong contingent of racers under 50 LOL a lot 20 to 30 and they are fast and knowledgeable.

To me the bottom line, at our age do what you enjoy.

I'm enjoying slot racing I've done Flexi and Retro. I just need a track closer to really get back into it.

Fred Z

• Tim Neja likes this

#29 sledge57

sledge57

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:26 AM

Good luck.

Thanks Matt. I had surgery in August and surgeon is confident he got it all. Chemo because 1 lymph node out of 22 checked had cancer. Surgery not too bad, chemo sucks. I had it this am for 4 hours and now I have a pump with more meds for 46 hours. So basically 50 hours of chemo every other week and feel like crap for 5 days for 6 months ...

PSA I have stage 3 colon cancer, and like some of you I put off getting a colonoscopy.

GET THE EFFING COLONOSCOPY... Colonoscopy is NOTHING, drink some stuff, poop your brains out for a few hours. Next day you go in, they give you sleepy meds and you get to take the best 1/2 hour nap you ever had. Way better to catch it early.

JUST DO IT...

I'm sure the Dodge is fun. N-scale is good if you want a lot of running, not so much for modelling. If you are not too deep into the

N-scale, consider going with Bachmann On30, about the same price and can run in the same space. Far easier to build locos,

cars and structures. And I like the character of narrow guage. Of course if you want to do superpower locos, you will need a lot

of space. 

Trains still are, and always will be, big with kids.

The Dodge is a blast 500" Stroker 4:30 gears, it'll plant you in the seat...

I actually bought a bunch of HO scale trains years ago and then realized I was never going to have the room for HO. My interest is also logging. I have a Bachmann Shay and a Climax also in HO.

N Scale logging doesn't seem viable (logging locos are like hens teeth) But I have a bunch of my dads N scale stuff plus what I've bought.

BTW did you mean HOn3 scale, HO on N scale track?

On30 is O gauge on HO track isn't it?

And if anyone's interested My POS Pedal Car idling.

• Samiam likes this

Doug Sloan
Dearborn Heights, MI

"You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing"

"Kids in cars cause accidents, accidents in cars cause kids"

My 1:1 scale slot car
SxA6cK6.jpg

#30 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

Colonoscopy, psa and digital exams, don't neglect any of these "routine" tests.       

• sledge57 likes this

Matt Bishop

#31 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

Doug, the car idles well. :)  I've been through the exams mentioned by Matt & have always been given a clean-bill-of-health.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#32 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:18 AM

Doug; Exactly how it should sound. Brings back memories of my Road Runner.

On30 runs on HO gauge track, and started when the cost of O-scale geared locos escalated beyond reason. Guys started building

logging and mining locos on HO gauge running gear, and the format just took off. Manufacturers like Bachmann and Mountain

Models started supporting the fad with reasonably priced locos, which boosted On3 involvement again since they were offered

that way as well. On30 is so close to On3 that the difference is negligable, and since it runs on HO track, a lot of running can be

built into a layout. 

If you are already deeply into N-scale, that is fine. There are N-scale Shays available, but pretty expensive and hard to come

by. So build your own on a diesel switcher chassis. The skeleton log cars and log buggies you should be scratch building from

Kappler scale lumber. And although there are guys building Nn3 on Z-gauge chassis, there were a lot of standard gauge logging

companies running on standard gauge track. There is an N-scale magazine, might even be published by White River Productions,

the same publisher that produces Gazette.     

And guys, I am not trying to promote model railroading here. They are different hobbies, both of which live comfortably in my house.

• sledge57 and Rotorranch like this

#33 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

Lot of slot car guys are also train guys or used to be train guys.   Same with static models and other  hobbies we all grew up with from the late 50's to the late 60's.

Most of us like all kinds of mechanical hobbies and "things".

Matt Bishop

#34 sledge57

sledge57

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:36 AM

Lot of slot car guys are also train guys or used to be train guys.   Same with static models and other  hobbies we all grew up with from the late 50's to the late 60's.

Most of us like all kinds of mechanical hobbies and "things".

We all just like our toys.

"You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing" (gotta put that in my signature)

• Tim Neja and Dave Crevie like this

Doug Sloan
Dearborn Heights, MI

SxA6cK6.jpg

#35 gonegonzo

gonegonzo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:47 AM

I remember as a kid in the 50's (oops , telling my age) that the local YMCA held electric train  races on New Years day so the kids that Santa left an electric train could have a get together . Sadly due to down sizing and selling my house , I recntly sold my train from Christmas 1954 .

Now that you mention Shay Rail Roading , my great grandad was a carpenter for the lumber industry in Davis, WV . His job was building trestle thru the wilderness for the trains to travel .

Gonzo

• sledge57 likes this
Tom DeLauder

#36 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

RR'ing off topic, so don't look if you're not interested.

I really admire that talent of this modeler and his layout

http://thundermesami...o.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook...ermesaminingco/

and this one

https://www.facebook...RRModel/photos/

Matt Bishop

#37 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:11 AM

Doug; Love your mantra!

Tom; Do you remember the railroad. Lots of logging in West Virginia. Cass Scenic Railway is a great place to see much of it.

That blog is pretty cool. It shows how much O-scale you can get into a small space. Also the tongue-in-cheek approach many On30

modelers take. What is life without some levity?

#38 sledge57

sledge57

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:33 AM

I remember as a kid in the 50's (oops , telling my age) that the local YMCA held electric train  races on New Years day so the kids that Santa left an electric train could have a get together . Sadly due to down sizing and selling my house , I recntly sold my train from Christmas 1954 .

Now that you mention Shay Rail Roading , my great grandad was a carpenter for the lumber industry in Davis, WV . His job was building trestle thru the wilderness for the trains to travel .

Gonzo

That's cool about your great grandad, that's exactly where I intended to model my logging RR...

Doug Sloan
Dearborn Heights, MI

SxA6cK6.jpg

#39 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

Here is  a dedicated Youtube channel

https://www.youtube....6X4o1eFKSdJaMsw

Matt Bishop

#40 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:33 PM

Good video. It illustrates the smooth operation of the Bachmann On30 locos. I have done several of them, in various sizes and wheel

arrangements. Those 0-4-0 tankers are real cheap, and plentiful. You will find them for between $25 and $50 at swap meets. Of course

they don't have the "wow" factor of a 4-8-8-4, if that is what you are after. But if you are industrious, you can build a 2-4-4-2 or 2-6-6-2

from their stuff. Several modelers have. 

#41 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:02 PM

You can run on  the little tight curves  with the  ON30's.   Scale and still small enough to  look  OK on a tight layout.    I like the fantasy look, not to mention the artistic skill exhibited.   The Thunder Mesa rail master   is a commercial   artist by trade!

Matt Bishop

#42 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

I can't believe I never thought of this before:

I'll open a slot car track next to one of the massive retirement communities opened here in SC.

• Pablo, sledge57, airhead and 2 others like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#43 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

Chances are those retirees have a very limited budget. They, like myself, way underestimated how much money they would need after

retirement. Using the AARP retirement calculator, I should have about a million bucks in assets. I do not. And although I did fairly well

in the tool and die trade, to save a million dollars I would have had to eat very little and live in a tent in some forgotten corner of a forest

somewhere. And I am not alone. A very large amount of the older people in my community, many of whom did better in life than I, have

had to move out of this town because they can't pay the inflated property taxes. People who were raised here, married, bought homes

and raised families in my neighborhood. They planned on finishing out their lives here, but now they can't.  

#44 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:39 PM

Here in SC, we call our retirees "half-backs," because many of them originally retired from their jobs up north (NY, Mass., etc) and settled in Florida, only to become disenchanted with the costs and way of life there. So, they moved "halfway" back up north by stopping here and putting down their roots.

The majority of the retirement communities seem to have attracted people with pretty good savings, from what I've been able to tell. There is one, in particular -- one of those Del Webb retirement communities with fairly wealthy people. It's HUGE!

I think that's the best place to start.  :D

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#45 airhead

airhead

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:31 PM

I never thought about listing our local races as, Open to all ages, not just people over 60.

Attached Images

• IMG_0361.JPG
  • 102_0678.JPG

Billy Watson

#46 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:39 PM

Where can I get a shirt like this?  :D

post-1512-0-41962100-1580589043.jpg

Paul Wolcott

#47 sledge57

sledge57

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:09 AM

Went to the local track yesterday to try a few cars I've never run before.  There are three 8 lane tracks there.

The tri-oval had 5 kids racing on it, all about 10 years old.

The king had 1 guy testing some fast cars.

The hill climb I chose to run on had me, 2 young girls, maybe 13 or so, a father and his 3 kids (2 girls and a boy), the youngest about 7 or 8, the oldest maybe 12 or 13.

It was an awesome sight and a lot of fun.

The bonus is the track owner had the stereo cranking (60's and 70's rock) so the kids also got to hear real music too. LOL

• Pappy, Steve Deiters, Samiam and 3 others like this

Doug Sloan
Dearborn Heights, MI

SxA6cK6.jpg

#48 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:41 AM

Music when you can understand the words. I love it! :)

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#49 Phil Smith

Phil Smith

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

I took my 6, 7 and 9 year old grand kids to Dallas Slot Cars 3 or 4 weeks ago. Man, that's a nice facility. By far the nicest I've ever been in.

I got to see the track owners, my old friend Jay Howard and his wife Shontel. They were having a Retro race and I got to see some of my old slot car buddies. And pre-race drag racing practice was going on. 2 gentlemen let my grands kids make a pass. They loved it and I started to buy a car for them, but they're hyper, and with so much down time between races, they would drive me and every one else crazy.

When we were in the car after leaving, my 7 year old grand daughter ask me, "Grandpa, why was everyone in there old?" And the boys chimed in, "Yeah grandpa, why was everyone old?"

I laughed out loud because discussions like this on Slotblog immediately came to mind. ;)

• MattD likes this
Phil Smith
???-2/31/23
Requiescat in Pace

#50 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

At that age 21 is old.  :laugh2:

• Phil Smith likes this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

Electric Dreams Online Shop