I'm starting to fade...

43 replies to this topic

#1 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,049 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:41 AM

... from slot racing, or so it seems to me.

When I rediscovered slot cars in mid-2006, it was like I was reborn after a 33-year hiatus. Got a flexi( what the heck is a flexi? I thought to myself). Soon discovered SoCal was running scratchbuilts (D3 Retro) at Buena Park; that really got my adrenaline going!

Single-handedly, I got Retro racing in Texas going by building two Retro cars, one for me and one for anyone else that wanted to try it out. Raced Retro primarily over the last 13 years but also do my share of flexi racing. Attended Sano I, Sano II, and Sano IV in Chicago. Made it out to SoCal for one big race.

But lately, my interest and/or energy for slot cars has begun to wane. I still love them. I still love racing. But I've neglected playing music; playing is something I really want to do. I've tried unsuccessfully to divvy up my time for both slot cars and music. I stopped scratchbuilding my own Retro chassis a couple years ago but somehow that didn't equate into more time for music.

As it is now, I don't even want to work on the slot cars... just race. I don't want to leave slot cars and I'm trying to keep up with it but my energy and time for them is waning.

I plan to keep on keepin' on with slots. We'll see for how long. I feel like I'm leaving my best friend behind. I feel like a heel.

• Tom Eatherly and David Reed like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 24,256 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:00 AM

I got burned out several times when I was racing actively, Tex.

Competing at the higher levels takes an enormous amount of time and effort and, like you, after 20 or so years, I decided that the cost to benefit ratio wasn't right and that it was time for me to move on to other aspects of slot racing. Slowing reactions and deteriorating eyes (cataract surgery is looming...) were other factors, as was a back that no longer would allow me to spend hours at the workbench without paying a painful price. The poor functioning of the hobby at almost every level was another negative for me.

• Gene/ZR1 likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,733 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:03 AM

Tex,

Same thing happened to me. Then I discovered how nice the 1/32 hardbodied cars run these days and how fun they are to race. There are so many things to learn about these cars. You are not really building cars, just fine tuning them.

I'm hooked again.

• gascarnut, Arne Saknussem, Tex and 1 other like this

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

I'm so sunny and bright I am now being blamed for global warming

#4 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:29 AM

Finding enough time for the things we enjoy is difficult. I find I typically only have time for one main hobby or interest at a time because once I get started on something I dive in pretty deep be it golfing, fishing, blackjack, drums, record collecting, etc. That level of involvement in addition to family, friends and job leave not much time for anything else. 

What I can say is I feel good that I now know a pretty fair amount about some interesting subjects and I still dabble in them a bit just nowhere near the same level. 

With slot cars and racing, which I am new to, I see the building of friendships and the camaraderie among participants as being a pretty cool thing. Perhaps without investing the time involved in the building you can race, hang out at the track a bit and still feel connected to the hobby through the friends you have made along the way. Hopefully you can then find some time to play music!

No need to feel poorly about a change in interests. Happens to a lot of us and helps make us well-rounded individuals. 

• Pappy and Tom Eatherly like this

#5 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 15,159 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:47 AM

Tex, don't forget I build complete ready-to-race custom Retro cars made to order. I offer a full satisfaction guarantee and free minor repairs/cleaning/tune-ups (within reason). Here, the customer supplied a painted Noose body for me to mount. All he had to do was adjust the flag spacing and tire compound to the track he raced on

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG  

• Tex, munter, Bernie and 2 others like this
Paul Wolcott

#6 Rick Moore

Rick Moore

CMF3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:50 AM

Richard / Tex,

The only time you should feel like a heel for doing something is when you’re doing it to please other people and not yourself. As long as you’re enjoying what you’re doing, that’s all that counts.

But… yeah… I notice my eyesight deteriorating and the pain in my hands, and sometimes wonder how much longer I’ve got for these silly little toy cars I enjoy so much…

But, screw it, I’ve got today, and that’s good enough.

Have fun, my friend!

Rick / CMF3

• brnursebmt, Eddie Fleming and Greg Erskine like this

#7 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:44 AM

I hear you, Tex. I really enjoyed Retro racing at first. Then the 'pros' got interested. Guys would show up with two or three (or more!) boxes full of cars and tires. They would buy five or ten (or more!) motors at a time, and these were Puppy Dogs, not the Chinese crap they run now. Then when the IRRA® outlawed the Puppy Dog, I decided that was it.

The fact that my dad was having health issues just made my decision easier. No regrets. I miss the people, the other stuff not so much.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

#8 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

I no longer chase being in an A Main... the competition around here requires too much time, effort, and money.

The good news is the racing in the lower mains is just as tough!  So I can satisfy my competitive urges. I have too many other interests to devote myself entirely to any one of them, so I'm "OK" at all of them. 

For me, when it becomes a lot of work, it takes away the fun. I'm not the type of person who needs to be the best at anything I do, as long as I can do it with some level of competence.

• Half Fast, munter and Tom Eatherly like this
"Whatever..."

#9 Milkman

Milkman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:27 AM

Hey Richard,

I've been building and racing these fun little racing machines for well over 50 years now! There have been many times that I have felt the way you do. But then I think it's better to come race half-hearted and have a place to race than to quit and try to come back and there's no place at all. 

Like anything in life, there's ups and downs.  

• Tex likes this
Ken Stevens
Speedstar - Go fast, stay on, do laps!!

#10 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

It's natural to see our interests change over time.  For the most part, we are an older group.  At first, the sheer excitement of competitive racing while gaining knowledge of the hobby led us to steady improvement.  Now our reflexes are slowing down as we enter our sixties and beyond.  I can look back now and see that I peaked a coup;e of years ago.  Perhaps it's the five back surgeries I've had in the last five years.  Or the ever changing vision issues.  I still love the hobby..  It's simply a matter of adjusting to what life throws at you.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#11 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:26 PM

It's a hobby. It's suppose to be fun. Participation isn't required. Do it if you feel like it. Don't if you don't.

Tex, you say playing music. What is your interest in music?

Phil Smith ® ©

#12 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,049 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not gone yet. the last couple years, I bought a few chassis' from builders with winning provenenace. I may soon "progress" on to buying RTR's. even such as things are right now, I miss scratchbuilding my own chassis'. It's a matter of making the time. when I retired, I thought I'd have more time to do the things I wanted to. but what has happened is that I now take LONGER to do the things I want... I can do them in a more relaxed manner.... but I still only accomplish the same amount of work as I used to. LOL  and that is a privilege I enjoy, being able to be relaxed and take as long as I want to for ANYthing.... no pressure, no timeclock..... do what I want WHEN I want.

• Tom Eatherly and olescratch like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#13 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

It's a hobby. It's suppose to be fun. Participation isn't required. Do it if you feel like it. Don't if you don't.

Sometimes a break is needed to recharge. I often found that when you look at your interests from afar is when you can see what made those interests fun from the start. If it is no longer fun then it becomes an obsession and that's *very* bad for you and the people around you.

PS: I apologize for using the "F-word" twice in the previous paragraph. :laugh2:

• Dallas Racer likes this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#14 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,049 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

my "interest" is all over the map to a degree, but what I aspire to be playing is rock and blues/rock at very loud volume!  LOL  I intend to start a 3-piece "geezer garage band"(guitar/bass/drums) playing covers of Cream, Hendrix, ZZ Top, etc. if we were to gain some proficiency with that, then maybe pull in keys and branch off into some Allman Brothers Band. as it is right now, I play at some local open mics.... mostly 60's covers, sometimes acoustic but also trying to get used to the feel of my electric guitar.

• Peter Horvath and David Reed like this
Richard L. Hofer

#15 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 22,250 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

Replace one neck with a controller and multi-task.

72f241ea-009c-46db-8f08-62da9879696a-1.JPG

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#16 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

Ok, electric guitar. I didn't know you played an instrument. I wasn't sure you weren't talking about playing the radio.

I started playing guitar when I was 12 and was serious about it until I injured my left hand in my late 20's. I can still play but not near as well as I use to so I rarely play anymore.

Have the same influences as you. Hendrix is by far my favorite guitarist of all time.

Phil Smith ® ©

#17 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

Competitive racing is vastly different from the hobby/fun level a lot of us are involved in.   We spend a couple hours a week racing and busting each others balls.   Just  for fun and during the week, maybe a couple hours does repairs or builds new cars.    This is just one aspect of the slot cars hobby.   

Music is food for the soul.   ABB!!!! my all time favorite group and listening to Duane Allman and Dickey Betts gave me the spark to go buy a Les Paul and learn to play a little.   It took about 6 months for me to realize open chords on a flat top was the correct way to begin!  It's taken 45 years of playing to not embarrass myself!   I only play acoustic, sold the LP,   70 model , a few  years ago, it was just too much money setting in the corner.    

For all these years I have always had an acoustic right next to my chair.    Any time of day I am setting with the TV on, I would pick it up and noodle around.    My wife has confessed it really gets on her nerves!   The guitar is no longer here and now I need dedicated time to go downstairs to play.   Bottom line is I probably only play once or twice a week.   I can tell my co-ordination is  not as good and I struggle to remember licks and progressions that I've done for years.   It is sad as playing gives a great sense of fulfillment     I love great music of every kind and great singing of every kind.   

What really turns me off are guys that say they are bored and have nothing to do!!!!!!   Books, slot cars, trains, music, fishing, cars and hot rods,  wood shop, metal shop, we can go on and on.     There is a lot of stuff to do and learn in this world.     You can even get on a computer and be an expert to the rest of the cyber world!!!!

P1010008.JPG

• MSwiss, Tex, Dallas Racer and 3 others like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#18 Jaeger Team

Jaeger Team

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

I love this positive (and proactive) aspect of the soul that I find in many Americans.

Maurizio Salerno

#19 SoCal Bill

SoCal Bill

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

Replace one neck with a controller and multi-task.

attachicon.gif72f241ea-009c-46db-8f08-62da9879696a-1.JPG

That would be a cheap trick  :prankster2:

• Wizard Of Iz and Mike Patterson like this
Bill Fagan

#20 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:31 PM

Competitive racing is vastly different from the hobby/fun level a lot of us are involved in.   We spend a couple hours a week racing and busting each others balls.   Just  for fun and during the week, maybe a couple hours does repairs or builds new cars.    This is just one aspect of the slot cars hobby.   

Music is food for the soul.   ABB!!!! my all time favorite group and listening to Duane Allman and Dickey Betts gave me the spark to go buy a Les Paul and learn to play a little.   It took about 6 months for me to realize open chords on a flat top was the correct way to begin!  It's taken 45 years of playing to not embarrass myself!   I only play acoustic, sold the LP,   70 model , a few  years ago, it was just too much money setting in the corner. 

attachicon.gifP1010008.JPG

Cool Les Paul! One of guys in our jazz band in high school had a gold top '68 LP Jr. I had a '58 LP Special (double cutaway) that was a POS. The rhythm pick was located way too close to the neck, leaving little wood in the body to support the neck. The neck had broken off and been repaired when I got it, and I broke it off two more times! The 2nd time I didn't bother getting it fixed and got a '60s 335 from a friend.

Before all of that I had a red '56 Strat that I traded to get that POS LP.  :dash2:  I wanted a LP because after Hendrix died I became a Duane Allman fan and consequently wanted a LP.

• MattD likes this

Phil Smith ® ©

#21 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

I'm starting to fade, too-for medical reasons. Recently diagnosed with ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, aka Lou Gehrig’s disease, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Symptoms started presenting over a year ago but as in many cases symptoms initially suggested other disorders. No known cure or even treatment. Am enrolled in hospice care- mostly palliative attention as there's nothing to reverse progression.

Have shared a wonderful tranquil life with my loving wife for 33 years. Have a son who has 2 very nice accomplished grandchildren. Just retired last Friday from the law firm. 12 years as a commercial pilot flying over much of North America. Had the good fortune to  race at Pelican Park every Wednesday for 30 years, At my age- no regrets- my life is full. Time and place for everything.

• Tex and munter like this
Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

#22 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

I know the feeling Tex. I haven't even raced on the BPR flat track in about 3 months. I simply don't have the "fun factor" for it much right now. Like someone mentioned earlier, maybe a bit of time away will change things, I don't know. For now, other interests fill my time. Still playing my two Fenders Tex. Not as much, but, still pick. Desert interests also. Like that Mojave desert. Take care Tex.

Tom Eatherly

#23 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:14 PM

I'm starting to fade, too-for medical reasons. Recently diagnosed with ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, aka Lou Gehrig’s disease, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Symptoms started presenting over a year ago but as in many cases symptoms initially suggested other disorders. No known cure or even treatment. Am enrolled in hospice care- mostly palliative attention as there's nothing to reverse progression.

Have shared a wonderful tranquil life with my loving wife for 33 years. Have a son who has 2 very nice accomplished grandchildren. Just retired last Friday from the law firm. 12 years as a commercial pilot flying over much of North America. Had the good fortune to  race at Pelican Park every Wednesday for 30 years, At my age- no regrets- my life is full. Time and place for everything.

ALS is a tough road Todd.  Sounds like you have a great family who care deep;y for you.  That's what matters now.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#24 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,860 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

Todd, sorry to hear this. i saw my mother caught up in ALS 30 years ago. It's not a disease I'd wish on anybody. It's been great reading your posts & seeing your shared photos over the years.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#25 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:12 PM

Thanks Bill; Thanks, Tim. One last adventure.

Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

Electric Dreams Online Shop