#1 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:49 PM

Photos by Steve Hill and Dave Deuble

$ _1a1a1a1   AZGR logo 2014 copy 4.jpg

For our 11th annual Black Friday Blowout Mother Nature decided that we, like most of the rest of the country needed some, shall we say inclement weather.

Being spoiled by a normally mild clime this time of year we have always held the race in tents set up on the driveway in front of my garage.

Not this time!

High winds, heavy rain, hail, colder than normal temps and even tornado warnings along with some hydroplaning on flooded streets greeted us in the pre-dawn morning.

Fortunately we have Steve Hill as our meteorologist, photographer and alternate track owner. We had been watching the weather for a while and at about a week out he offered his place to hold the race. We held out until that Wednesday and by then it was obvious it was going to be ugly out, at least in the morning so we let everyone know where and when and almost everyone made it...

Here's everything you need.

Ready .jpg

COFFEE.jpg

We did some catching up and ran some practice laps after our surprise guest Brian "Steele" Gibbons arrived and then we got down to racing the first of eight planned races.

Here's the look you get when you ask Super Stan to Marshall before he's had enough coffee...

Marshall Coffee.png

First race of the day was 1/24th Can Am

These are hard bodies on adjustable metal chassis with silicoated foam tires and limited to a 30,000 rpm motor.

Rick ran off with it with a 4 lap lead!

1 03 1:24th CanAm.jpeg

1 01 1:24th CanAm.png

A few things on Steve's SDI workbench

On Steve's bench.jpg

To be continued.

• cdtanner, Roy Lievanos, Jesse Gonzales and 1 other like this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#2 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

Next we ran the 1/32nd scale BRM Revo cars. I was pretty excited for this one because I had just gotten my new Ferrari 333Sp #27 and a Tire Razor tire truer from Slot Car Corner. I had set it up on the bench with no track time prior to the race (Like Rick does all the time!) and now it was time to see how it ran.

Revo Ferrari 333SP.png

Here's the line up, we run the BRM Revo RS-204 slip on foam rear tires. That's right slip on foams! On their double flanged wheels these donuts fit so tight you can hardly get them on, I've had a set mounted for well over a year and no slipping as far I can tell!

2 01  1:32 BRM REVO .jpeg

This was Steele's first race in a few years and the first time he had seen these cars, he didn't win but I think he had a good time.

2 03 Revo racers.jpeg

We just have to get Stan a Mopar shirt!

2 04 Revo action.png

L>R That's Herb Morris, our host Steve Hill and Stan Ferris diving for the track call button, Doobie style!

Rick Schonfeld won with Steve and Stan not far behind.

My new car was pretty good for being new, 4th yes but 2nd, 3rd and 4th were all on the same lap!

2 05 Revo Rick.jpeg

Race #3 was 1/32 Racer / Sideways Group 5 run stock except for Scaleauto foam tires.

Group 5.jpg

The computer showed Steve in the lead but Rick's streak held, he was ahead on the track.

It was tight racing with Rick, Steve and Brian all with 116

3 02 Rick:Steve:Brian with 116 .jpeg

Race 4 was 1/32 Thunderslot Can Am

And things got a bit orange.

4 01 1:32 Thunderslot CanAm .jpeg

Rick and I had a race long battle but I could not break his streak, even tho the computer says I won, another last lap victory for him.

4 02 Rick ahead on track..png

Rick 116, Doobie 116, Stan 113.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#3 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

Race #5 was our Scalextrics Daytona Prototype IROC and "Enduro"  :rolleyes:

Not too much Enduro, we had talked about 10 minute heats but we backed that down to eight minutes in order to get all the planned races in.

I think it was this race when Greg Williams joined us and jumped right in!

5 01 Scalextrics DP %22Enduro%22.png

I still have a hard time believing these (and the Ford GTE) are made by Scalextrics, the axles and tires are for the most part round and perpendicular and the overall balance of the cars is great. A tiny bit of trueing on a couple of wheels and we run the hell out of em'. Of course we change to the silicone tires we have been using and add low profile tires in the front to work with the wood track guide flag that we need for our tracks. We ditch the magnets and put a bit of weight where it used to sit and if it came with the green endbell 21K motor we put an 18K stocker in there. (Gators from SCC will replace those when it's time.)

All of those mods and these are the STOCK DP class! The ones with 3D chassis run against the old Racer DPs with 23K motors.

The race was kind of interesting for me, I started on the short and tight yellow lane and remember all those races I just mentioned a minute ago? Well that bit me, I wound up driving 3 cars in the first 8 minute heat due to the stock lead wires breaking at the guide and somewhere along the line it happened to somebody else...

Good thing we had a couple spares and Steve sitting at the bench making repairs. Even though I felt that this hacked my race, I only did 3 laps less than Rick and Steve on yellow, must be those lightning like in and out laps...each time with a back up car!

What really hurt was being the sponsor of that and handing "Iceman" Rick the prize for his 5th win in a row.  :D

Damn he's good!

5 03 1:32 Scaly Enduro IROC.png

Sadly Stan had to leave at this point, little did I know that he had wanted to race more 1/24th classes and I asked what's next between races...

sfcars.png

Oops!

Time for a break, more to come...

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#4 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:59 PM

Only three races left to tell about... 

Race #6 was our AriZonaGarageRacing version of D3 Retro. IROC style!

A very loose version with old bodies, old chassis, and the 22k Scaleauto bronze colored SC-0026 GT class takeout motor.

Still fun though and slowed down enough for smaller home tracks.

Greg Williams who is immersed in super handling HO cars said he was most comfortable driving these. Makes me think we got the formula right.

6 01 D3 IROC.jpg  

It took the track owner himself to knock Rick off the rails!

NOT SKUNKED!

Mr. Hill finally got to be on the other side of the camera!

And I did my best to try to put Rick in third!

Didn't happen. 

6 0 2 1:24 AZGR D3 Retro IROC.png

Race 7

H&R Sportscars

We didn't get a picture but it is what it sounds like, Steve and I have BRM 917 bodies, Lee has a Carrera BMW LMP, Rick ran a model kit Acura NSX...

We limit only by Silicoated tires and BRM Pink/Purple (whatever) crazy motor that seems to live forever. This has been a favorite class for a long time around here and guess what?

STEVE WON AGAIN!

7 0  1:24 H&R Sportscars .jpeg

So last but not least by a long way it was time for what may have become the craziest class we have, H&R Indycars. If you follow us at all you know that I picked these up from Robert Taylor on FB. I enjoy following  Robert, he's into a hundred things at one time and races everything big to small. I don't know if this was his idea but he cut the  side pans back on an H&R chassis to fit under old stock late '80's, early '90's Monogram Indycar model bodies and then we took it from there and upped the tire size to full size Pro Track Daytona Stockers and added a Scaleauto long can (0012) 25K motor (sure it is.) with 200 gr-cm torque and look out!

Fast open wheelers are crazy!

Open Wheels!.jpg

Big wreck in the "Lead on"

Rick resumed winning.

8 03 Rick Again!.png

Bob Scott had vehicle issues and couldn't be here but as always he's here in spirit and was the sponsor of this race. Rick just won himself a brand new Racer/Sideways Group5 BMW!

7 BOB. image.jpg

NICE!!!

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#5 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:57 PM

A Huge Thank you to Steve and Shiela for opening their home to us all day.

Racers and Marshalls who could attend included;

Steve Hill, Rick Schonfeld, Lee Bumbalow, Stan Ferris, Brian "Steele" Gibbons, Herb Morris, Greg Williams, Mike Pyska and Frenchy Gouvier and myself Dave Deuble.

Those who had planned on coming but had issues with the weather or vehicles included;

Jonathan Forsyth, K.C. Kennedy, Rick and Ryan Bachman, Dan Sundstrom, Ron Spannraft and Bob Scott.

See everyone next time!

DD

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#6 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:02 AM