• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:51 AM

If this is your first trip to this thread, check Bryan's Checkpoint Cup for whats been posted and there are other threads to look at as well.

Cheater, If you can put all the RetroPro stuff here as one thread that would be great and much appreciated. 

Give Cheater a couple of days to do this and then start up the conversations

Topics for conversations

Power

Air Control

Weighted guides

How often do you want to run this class

Qualifying

AND?????

For those of you that don't know me, the only thing that concerns me is getting a track full of racers having a good time

I like this class. I think you guys are getting shortchanged by how seldom you run it. How do you guys feel about running it on the Friday night before the King track races? Or on Saturday after the King track races? If we can get enough racers to say OK, I can take it to Debbie for her approval.

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:00 PM

Bill,

No problem doing what you ask, but I need a little help in knowing out which information you'd like agglomerated here. Shoot me a PM with some links if you can.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:56 PM

"I posted this elsewhere earlier--but the discussion belongs here about Retro Pro at the Checkpoint Cup.  It's not an official SCRRA Class anymore,  but has been enjoyed by a lot of the racers over the years. I'm not sure who has time to help with this class, but the plan is to run it Friday night after the flat track races. There is some thoughts to a few minor changes--I've outlined mine below. Some things to consider---

I'm in favor of a 1/2" spoiler rule as a regular size instead of the overall height.  And adding the weighted guides for the race.  These are not huge changes, and will benefit  everyone. In addition, I propose we do the same thing as at the Boola -- run the SAME voltage as the Can Am cars and F-1.  We did that and it took a little off the cars speed and made for a much cleaner race! " 

Thoughts from the other participants that are racing

This is my post above from the Checkpoint thread.  Perhaps we can have a discussion about any changes or NO changes here.  I don't think this class is popular enough to run it much more than we do.  But I'd be interested in running it more.  All four major SCRRA races for sure--perhaps as Bill has suggested--the Friday before King Track races?  

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#4 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:49 PM

I agree with Tim:  Limit the RetroPro races to the four big races held by the SCRRA.  Hold them on Friday nights.  We pick up about a third of our RetroPro racers in town for the SCRRA events.  Holding more races will water down the event with low turnout.  Update and post the new rules in this thread.  Promote, promote, promote.  If this race could draw in a crowd of 15 or so, that would be great.

• Samiam and Tim Wood like this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#5 eshorer

eshorer

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:05 PM

One thing to keep in mind is Friday is the last time to prep on the King for the big CanAm race on Saturday. There needs to be enough time for those to practice with their CanAm cars on the lower power (it IS lower, compared to what is run with RetroPro, right?) after the races end on the Flat Track before it's turned up. A lot of guys are busy racing and marshaling the two races on the Flat track to get much practice in on Friday. I think it can work if the power isn't turned up too early.

Eddie

• 24fan likes this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#6 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

Weighted guides, 1/2' spoiler, power maybe comprimise run the power up from CanAm / F1 but bring down some from what we usually run at now.  :good:  

Tim

Tim Wood 

#7 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:30 PM

The Voltage Now is 13.6 for RP and Can am / F1 13.28 so .3 difference it does make the cars faster but either way make the choice so it's posted and we Prep to play 

jason

• Tim Wood likes this

#8 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

The SCRRA has pretty much remained on the sidelines as far as some Retro Pro rules changes are concerned, however after some discussion with several racers we have decided that in the best interests of everyone concerned we will immediately STOP increasing the power for the Retro Pro race if the race has anything to do with a major SCRRA event.  This means that we will also no longer increase the power at 4 PM on the Friday of an RP event and it just makes things easier for everyone and the F1 and Can Am racers will be able to practice on the normal power of 13.2 volts until the track is shut down.

No more switching issues and no more racers complaining about the power being turned up on a serious practice day for Can Am and F1 and I can't help but believe it certainly will help with some of the Retro Pro problems during the races.  This change will be instituted at the Checkpoint and I will change the race announcement to reflect this....... KISS!  :)

• S.O. Watt, Tim Neja, eshorer and 3 others like this

#9 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:54 PM

Got some good responses and I have made a few decisions already

Power: at the BB the power was left at 13.28, same as retro and the racing was better. So 13.28 it is

Air Control   No changes here

Weighted guides  still looking at this. Will talk to Debbie and we will make a decision

How often do you want to run this class- Not a big request for more and about 1/2 of our 14 entries at the Boola Bash came from non locals. I could not read some of the names, so about 1/2 is the best I could do

Qualifying no change

Bryan will do the race plaques as always

Tim, It looks like you volunteered to do the photography. You did a good job at the BB, so if you want it, the job is yours. If we gave you the race sheets, would you also write the race report?

• Tim Wilkins and Tim Wood like this
Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#10 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:50 PM

Tim, It looks like you volunteered to do the photography. You did a good job at the BB, so if you want it, the job is yours. If we gave you the race sheets, would you also write the race report?

OK, WILL DO  :good:

• Tom Eatherly and Tim Wood like this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#11 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:06 AM

Weighted Guides should be a no brainer. Thanks Debbie Merry Christmas

• Tim Neja likes this
Tim Wood 

#12 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:30 PM

I talked with Debbie and she talked to Jim and a few racers and no problem.

So for the next race weighted guides will be legal.

For those guides that have holes drilled in them and the "hockey puck" style weights epoxied in, we will do a quick look to make sure there is enough epoxy still present to keep the weights in.

• Tim Neja, Samiam and Tim Wood like this
Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#13 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 10:13 AM

I have both weighted guides and had no problems with either guide. Using the redfox style of guides.

Tim

• Samiam likes this
Tim Wood 

#14 86ed once again

86ed once again

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

Weighted guides and lower voltage is happening. What is the consensus on aero? Just need to make sure Im within rules so I can play. 

James Grinstead
Five-time USRA Champion
TEAM KOFORD

#15 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

No change to aero at this time

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#16 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:01 AM

Concerning aero, although the rules allow Can-Am an overall height of 1 7/8, Retro-Pro is limited to 1 3/4. The Porsche body most people use needs to be cut every bit of 1 5/16 just to clear the motor and stay off the tires. To use a 1/2" spoiler you got 1 13/16. So you have to bend it down to pass tech and then stand it up to race. Is that the way we play?
  • Samiam and Roy Lievanos like this

Jerry Johnson

#17 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:51 AM

Da-ed Jerry you just reveal my secret, lol.
I doubt that tech will be that nick-picky
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#18 Jim Lange

Jim Lange

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

Concerning aero, although the rules allow Can-Am an overall height of 1 7/8, Retro-Pro is limited to 1 3/4. The Porsche body most people use needs to be cut every bit of 1 5/16 just to clear the motor and stay off the tires. To use a 1/2" spoiler you got 1 13/16. So you have to bend it down to pass tech and then stand it up to race. Is that the way we play?

Jerry, That's how we have been doing for like.... forever.  But, it does seem senseless to have the rule like that. I vote that we just change it to 1/2" spoiler and be done with it.

• Tim Neja, Bryan Warmack, John Streisguth and 4 others like this

#19 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:26 PM

Well I've seen this go both ways. I've seen cars go through tech that were grossly too high without anybody batting an eye while I'm sitting there with a legit car. I once had what I thought was dailed in coupe car get turned into a not so dailed in,middle of the pack car with one swipe of the sissors. I think this thread is about the little tweets that can be made to improve the quality of the race. The 1/2" spoiler as suggested didn't seem to pass as it was stated "no change to aero at this time". So it kind of leaves us with the universally accepted fudge on the total height rule. I'm ok with it but it seems like this could be cleaned up a little so there would be no doubt.
  • Samiam likes this

Jerry Johnson

#20 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:38 PM

I fix the rule (sort of), Ha, Ha ,LOL:

r.png

• Tim Wood likes this
Mike Low

#21 24fan

24fan

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

Change the words Can-Am to Retro-Pro and you'll have it!

Jerry Johnson

#22 bbr

bbr

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:53 PM

that was from the RP section of of the rules... actually you "Need PDL to change it" since he pinned it......

I just faked it LOL

Mike Low

#23 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

This is something I just heard about from Bryan

For the Checkpoint race we will not change the way this has been handled. It's to soon and some of you might have cars ready.

I will be doing my do diligence on this and I would like to create a rule with fixed (max) numbers to it for the second race of the year to remove the gray area.

Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#24 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:13 PM

I'd suggest we allow the higher 1 7/8 rule---seems to be conflicting information and these were created 10 years ago?  Not a big deal--it will only HELP the cars handing, and retro pro has always been a handful for some!! 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#25 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

FWIW, I’d suggest 1 3/8ths body height and 1/2 inch spoiler. Much easier to tech. Have used this out here for years.
  • Tim Neja, Eddie Fleming and Tim Wood like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

Electric Dreams Online Shop