• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gonegonzo

gonegonzo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:38 AM

I have a Cox Cucaraucha that has been painted several times . The body other than the paint looks to be pretty good as far as no cracks etc .

I want to strip the body and if not returned to the original finish under the paint , re-paint it . The body seems to me made with an odd ball palstic . What can I safely strip the paint with and not destroy the body ???

What prep and materials do I need to repaint ?

I'm not a purist but want it to be a quality looking runner "fun car".

Thx in advance ,

Tom

Tom DeLauder

#2 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:08 PM

Good news, bad news.

Good news,  you can use Acetone, brake fluid or oven cleaner to take the old paint off. I would remove all the chrome parts and the windshield before using a any kind of stripper. 

Bad news, no paint will sick to the Polypropylene body well. It does not polish out either. Strip the paint, see what you have. If it in good shape give it a coat of liquid floor wax.

Love to see some pics.

PDL has this advice.

Whatever paint is used on the polypropylene body of the Cuc, Super Cuc and other bodies molded in the same stuff, it will never be successful and generally ends into an ugly mess.
You can strip the paint previously applied (and generally falling apart) on these bodies by dipping them in acetone after removing the polystyrene accessories on them, gas caps, roll bar, windshield... Acetone will not damage the plastic.
You can also use paint strippers, nothing will touch that plastic.
You CANNOT polish that plastic. The more you try, the worse it will get.
You can SHAVE the surface with sharp razor blades to clean up a previous mess or impacts marks and molding flash.

If the body comes out of the salvation process as matte, no worry. Clean the body with soap and water and a tooth brush, then coat it with Future floor polish and sealer using a lint-free soft cotton rag. It will look line new and stay that way.

Philippe de Lespinay

• Pablo and olescratch like this
Martin Windmill

#3 gonegonzo

gonegonzo

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:57 PM

Philippe , Thx for the reply . That is good and bad news . I'll send pics later on and take before and after shots . I'm shooting for just a clean vintage runner . 

Tom aka Gonzo

Tom DeLauder

#4 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:23 PM

The reply came from me.

PDL has restored quite a few of these so I found his previous post to confirm my own experiences with these Cucs

Martin Windmill

Electric Dreams Online Shop