71 replies to this topic

#26 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

Tuesday's Retroflex race provided a bit of normalcy in these crazy times we are all experiencing. We were all thankful for the distraction.

The group of eight was split in half via the 30 second qualifier. 

Starting the night off in the B Main were Bill Wojtyla, "New Guy" Rich Joslin, Jeff Eve and Rich Buchholz. Though Rich Buchholz stayed close for a couple of heats it was clear early on that the first place position on the podium would be occupied by Jeff Eve. All the wishing in the world wasn't going to make Jeff''s car crash often enough to give anyone else in the B group a shot. A 4.862 fast lap on green certainly helped Jeff's cause. Late in the race NG Rich managed to get a slight edge on Rich Buchholz and he held on to that edge to grab a second place finish by just under a couple of laps. 

Fantasy 3-17 B Main results.jpg

Fantasy 3-17 B Main podium.jpg

Rich Joslin 2nd - Jeff Eve 1st - Rich Buchholz 3rd

A Main participants this week were Dave Buchholz, Ray Coakley, Matt "Bones" Lees and Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen. Jeff Eve earned a shot at the fast guys by virtue of his B Main victory. The first half of this race was close with only a couple of laps separating the top four drivers. Over the final few heats though some separation began to occur. Ray Coakley kept his car glued to the track and claimed a two lap victory over Darryl Voleshen. Matt Lees held off Jeff Eve by a similar two lap margin to capture the third spot on the podium this week. In addition to his win Ray posted the fastest lap of the night, a 4.806 on purple.

Fantasy 3-17 A Main results.jpg

Fantasy 3-17 A Main podium.jpg

Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 2nd - Ray Coakley 1st - Matt "Bones" Lees 3rd

Next up at Fantasy Raceways:

Thursday March 19 - Classic Plastic Hardbody

Friday March 20 - Drag Racing

If you find yourself in the Rochester area stop in to experience the fun and excitement of Slot Car racing at Fantasy Raceways you will be glad you did. The track is open Tuesday through Friday 6 pm to 9 pm, Saturday 1 pm to 9 pm and Sunday 1 pm to 5 pm.

#27 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:15 AM

Bravo, Ray!

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

#28 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

Fantasy Raceways Retroflex Rocks Again!

Yes race fans that's right Fantasy Raceways is open again for a Summer season of racing action. Tuesday night saw six Drivers compete for the title of King of the Hill Climb. With no marshals this was a "track" call event making for a bit of a choppy race and it showed from the beginning as the race started slowly while everyone was getting their footing and adjusting to the track conditions. Once everyone settled in though it was a very competitive race especially among the top five. 

As has often been the case Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen was the fox that all the hounds were chasing. Throughout the majority of the Heats nipping at his heals were Jeff Eve, Pete Varlan, Dave Buchholz and Rich Buchholz. With the aid of the fastest lap of the night, a 4.757 on the Green lane, Pete was right in the hunt until mechanical difficulties set him back by at least 7 laps before repairs were made.

The race ended with the hounds failing to catch the fox, "Mr. X" and Darryl earned himself another "First Place" sticker to add to his collection for his three lap victory. The battle for second place was a real nail biter. Jeff Eve and Dave Buchholz ran neck and neck throughout the evening both running consistently fast, clean laps. The margin of difference between the two was a mere .06 of a lap with Jeff claiming the second spot on the podium. 

Fantasy Results 6-23.jpg

Fantasy Podium 6-23.jpg

Jeff Eve 2nd - Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 1st - Dave Buchholz 3rd

Wednesday June 24, Drag Racing

Thursday June 25, Classic Plastic Hard Body

Tuesday June 30, Retroflex

Slot car racing fun is always on tap at Fantasy Raceways. If you are in the Rochester area you owe it to yourself to stop in and see what all the excitement is about!

#29 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

Thank you for the comment Bill. I am not sure of the history of the Track though I know Fantasy has been in the area for quite some time.

If my reports help in some small way that is great. Jeff and Bobbi have treated me very well since I started with this hobby in October and having read numerous threads here I realize how fortunate I am to have a track in my city let alone within 10 minutes of my house!

The picture below is the best one I have at the moment. Hope it helps.

attachicon.gifFantasy Ogilvie Hill Climb.jpg

I am not absolutely positive but I think I built that track for one of the original owners of Fantasy raceways. They had a Hasse King track for a long time in their first location and got the hill climb to cut the rent down from from 2 units to one. The Hasse King was built without joints, all glued and screwed together. On one of my delivery trips, I brought some of my joint blocks and I cut and trimmed the track and installed joints on it. Not on every section, just put enough joints in it so it could go in to a 16' box truck. I often wonder if that track ever got put back together.

• Rich Joslin likes this

#30 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:47 PM

I am not absolutely positive but I think I built that track for one of the original owners of Fantasy raceways. They had a Hasse King track for a long time in their first location and got the hill climb to cut the rent down from from 2 units to one. The Hasse King was built without joints, all glued and screwed together. On one of my delivery trips, I brought some of my joint blocks and I cut and trimmed the track and installed joints on it. Not on every section, just put enough joints in it so it could go in to a 16' box truck. I often wonder if that track ever got put back together.

That Hillclimb is the nicest (and smoothest) of its kind (in my experience).  A fine piece of work.  The last I knew the Hasse King from Fantasy was still in Fritz's garage.

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

#31 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:46 AM

Steve, seeing as the track has been referenced as the "Ogilvie" on many occasions, YES, you built it.
I remember being introduced to you when it was being built. 

I have to say that even after over twenty  five years later, it is one of the smoothest tracks I have ever been on.

NO bad joints, no sudden drop offs or bumps. just SMOOTH.

It is a slot racing work of art, Thanks you for creating such a fine  surface for us to race on.

Dave Buchholz,   Rochester NY

#32 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:06 AM

I knew I built the track just was trying to remember the timeline of it all. When I was in the area I used to visit Fantasy a lot, did a bit of racing and it was always a friendly place. A unique thing about this particular hillclimb is it has the hidden supports under the main (upper) straight. Might have been the last one I built like that, I was always worried they might sag a bit over the years. I guess I didn't have to worry about that after all.

Thanks for all the compliments on this track.  

• Racer36 likes this

#33 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

Retroflex deja-vu at Fantasy Raceways

With another Tuesday night Retroflex podium of Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen, Jeff Eve and Dave Buchholz I could just copy and paste last week's race report but where would the fun be in that? Doing that would also not describe the very close racing we witnessed as there were some interesting races within the race that were unfolding as the night went on.

The battle for first place came down to four Racers. "Mr. X", Jeff, Dave and Pete Varlan stayed close to each other all evening and at the end only two laps separated the four of them. Darryl had to work a bit harder this week to earn his victory by less than one lap over Jeff. The same one lap margin separated Jeff from third place finisher Dave Buchholz. Perhaps the difference was Dave's fast lap of 4.824 on White but whatever the difference was he needed it to keep Pete Varlan off of the podium by a minuscule .01 of a lap. That's right, after 190 laps the difference was .01. It doesn't get much closer than that!

Even the race for fifth and sixth was close. Rich Buchholz held a one lap lead over "New Guy" Rich Joslin through five heats. Over the final three heats the two traded positions a few times with "NG" Rich holding on to a slim lead as race ended.

All in all a very exciting night of racing at Fantasy. Stayed tuned for more of the same next week.

Fantasy 6-30 Podium.jpg

Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 1st - Jeff Eve 2nd - Dave Buchholz 3rd

Fantasy 6-30 Results.jpg

Fantasy 6-30 Group.jpg

Left to Right: kneeling - Pete Varlan, Dave Buchholz, standing - Rich Joslin, Darryl Voleshen, Jeff Eve, Rich Buchholz, Bill Wojtyla

Fantasy 6-30 Cars.jpg

#34 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

Tuesday Retroflex Rules the Raceway

A full field of eight Drivers took to the Ogilvie Hill Climb all anxious to be the one to derail the streaking Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen. Indications through the early Heats were that Jim Harter might just be the one to knock off the Champ. A blistering lap on Green of 4.761 helped put Jim in great position through the first three Heats. Unfortunately a crash leading to mechanical issues ended Jim's race and the battle that was shaping up to be a good one was over just that quickly. 

Next man up Jeff Eve worked hard to get within striking distance but it was not to be this night. Perhaps it was having been pushed so hard by Jim, but whatever it was Darryl had put too much distance between himself and the rest of the pack to be seriously challenged winning by a comfortable three lap margin. Pete Varlan parlayed consistent, clean laps into a third place podium finish.

"The Streak" continues!

Fantasy 7-7 Results.jpg

Fantasy 7-7 Podium A.jpg

Jeff Eve 2nd - Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 1st - Pete Varlan 3rd

Fantasy 7-7 Cars.jpg

Wednesday July 8 - Drag Racing

Thursday July 9 - Classic Plastic Hardbody

Tuesday July 14 - Wing Cars

There is always fun to be had at Fantasy so if you find yourself in the Rochester area be sure to stop in and see what all the excitement is about! 

#35 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

The race on Tuesday July 14 is a Group F ring car race. If you can make it, doors open at 6:00pm

See you there!

#36 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

The race on Tuesday July 14 is a Group F ring car race. If you can make it, doors open at 6:00pm

See you there!

And a good time was had by most.  Me included!

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

#37 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

Tuesday night Retroflex at Fantasy

Wait just a minute. Those don't look at all like McLarens!

Fantasy 7-21 Trucks.jpg  

To change things up a bit Tuesday races will be alternating Classes. This week was the normal Retroflex chassis with a Truck body. 

I think I am safe in saying the body change created some interesting handling adjustments for most of the six Drivers competing for the Tuesday Title. Lap times were a bit slower but the slower speed did not equate to keeping them in the slot any easier. 

Pete Varlan was in front of the pack right from the start and never looked back. It was almost as if he has been doing this racing thing for a couple of years considering how well he adjusted to the new setup. Pete's Truck was fast and I'm not sure he had any unforced come offs throughout the race. Pete parlayed those two valuable circumstances into a comfortable four lap victory. Second place finisher Dave Buchholz was also never challenged for his position. In fact "New Guy" Rich Joslin was so far back in third he couldn't even see Dave's Dodge Ram after falling a full six laps behind.

The challenge of adjusting to the change in handling made for a fun evening even with a bit of frustration thrown in along the way. Next week the Tuesday event will be GTP. Talk about going from one extreme to the other! Stay tuned for the recap on that one.

Fantasy 7-21 Results.jpg

Fantasy 7-21 Podium.jpg

Dave Buchholz 2nd - Pete Varlan 1st - Rich Joslin 3rd

On tap at Fantasy Raceways:

Wednesday July 22 - Drag Racing

Thursday July 23 - Classic Plastic Hardbody

Tuesday July 28 - GTP

Fantasy is open Tuesday through Sunday. If you happen to be in the Rochester area stop on in and meet the owners Bobbi and Jeff Eve they will do their best to make sure you enjoy your visit!

#38 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:12 AM

GTP "Survivor" at Fantasy

As part of the Summer rotation of Tuesday races at Fantasy, this week was a GTP event. Eight Racers arrived eager to prove they were King of the Hillclimb.

Fantasy 7-28 GTP Starting Line.jpg

A "track call" before the completion of the first lap was indicative of what was in store and eagerness soon turned to resolve to get your car to the finish line in one piece. It was a rough and tumble race with numerous flying cars and body crunching collisions but within the madness there was also some very, very close racing.

Jeff Eve jumped out to the lead early on and looked like he may cruise to a comfortable victory. His early fast lap of the night, 4.152 on green, helped fuel that expectation. Jim Harter had other thoughts in mind though as he doggedly pursued Jeff through the traffic and with his own impressive lap on green of 4.157 pulled close enough to put serious pressure on the leader over the final Heats. With the body of his car severely bruised and battered Jeff did a good bit of driving to hold off Jim for a, oh so close, .04 lap victory. 

Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen finished in 3rd place. While Darryl couldn't get close enough to the front runners to add to the pressure on Jeff he easily outpaced the remaining group of Drivers to coast to a 5 lap margin over Pete Varlan in 4th.

In the meantime the mid-pack of Pete, Rich Buchholz and Dave Buchholz had their own exciting battle going on. These three were slugging it out throughout the evening and after 200+ laps were only separated by 1. In fact Pete and Rich with a gap of only .01 between them. It can't get much closer than that!

Kudos to everyone for keeping their cool throughout the event and for maintaining their focus on the racing.

Fantasy 7-28 GTP Results.jpg

Fantasy 7-28 GTP Podium.jpg

Darryl Voleshen 3rd - Jeff Eve 1st - Jim Harter 2nd

Next up at Fantasy:

Wednesday July 29 - Drag Racing

Thursday July 30 - Classic Plastic Hardbody

Tuesday August 4 - Retroflex

With a Drag Strip, HO and 1/24 Ogilvie Hillclimb there is always exciting slot car action to be had at Fantasy Raceways. If you are in the Rochester area please stop on by and check it out.

#39 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

October 20 Retroflex Race Results

Fall is here and thankfully the racing action is heating up to help take the chill off.

There were seven cars in the field this night but I am not sure if the Stars and Stripes car of Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen even noticed. I remember thinking "dang, here comes Darryl again?" followed shortly after by " dang, there goes Darryl again!" "Mr. X" was unbothered by any of the rest of us, cruising to a 196 lap total and a 5 lap margin of victory. I'm not sure if anyone knows the Retroflex record but 196 has got to be close. Proprietor Jeff Eve tried to keep some pressure on the leader posting a very respectable 191 laps for second place.

The duel of the night was between Pete Varlan and Dave Buchholz for the final podium position. Back and forth it went all evening with Pete edging out Dave for the 3rd place finish by .1 of a lap. It was an interesting battle to watch play out.

Fast lap of the night was 4.735 posted by Darryl Voleshen on Green. 

Fantasy 10-20 Results (2).jpg

Fantasy 10-20 Podium (2).jpg

Pete Varlan 3rd - Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 1st - Jeff Eve 2nd

Fantasy 10-20 Cars (2).jpg

All the action is at Fantasy Raceways!

Retroflex - Tuesday October 27

Drag Racing - Wednesday October 28

Classic Plastic Hard Body - Thursday October 29

HO IROC & E-Fray - Saturday November 14

Stay tuned for the rollout of the new GT1 Sportsman and Pro Class, it's sure to be a gas.

If you are in the Rochester area stop in and see what all the fuss is about!

#40 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:26 AM

October 27 Retroflex

"Mr. X" Streaking

No, no, thank goodness not that kind of streaking! 

There was a full field of eight on hand Tuesday evening for the weekly Retroflex tussle and try as we might the seven of us could not change the recurring scenario. Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen is in a groove and he remains King of the Hillclimb at Fantasy in the Retroflex Class for another week.

The racing in general was closer. There were a lot more position changes throughout the evening with some questions about the order of finish remaining right up to the final couple of Heats. Dave Buchholz did a nice job of keeping some pressure on Darryl throughout the race but at the end of the event it was Darryl with 193 and Dave at 191. Jeff Eve fended off a strong challenge from Rich Buchholz to claim the third position on the podium.

Darryl Voleshen helped his cause with the fast lap on Orange of 4.816.

Fantasy 10-27 Results.jpg

Fantasy 10-27 Podium.jpg

Jeff Eve 3rd - Darryl Voleshen 1st - Dave Buchholz 2nd

Fantasy 10-27 Cars.jpg

Upcoming events at Fantasy Raceways:

Drag Racing - Wednesday October 28

Classic Plastic Hard Body - Thursday October 29

Retroflex - Tuesday November 3

Fantasy Raceways is located at 3787 Dewey Avenue in Rochester, NY. If you find yourself in the area please stop by and introduce yourself to Bobbi and Jeff Eve. 

#41 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:05 AM

November 3rd Retroflex at Fantasy

Another full field of eight were on hand for this Tuesday evening Retroflex race. In a slight change to the recent format we ran with a few sit outs so a small number of Marshals were available. While there were still some "track calls" because we couldn't cover every corner, they were reduced significantly giving the race a better flow and allowing the Drivers a chance to get in a rhythm more frequently. 

Darryl Voleshen, seemingly always in a rhythm, took the early lead and never lost it. He ran fast and very clean throughout the race having a minimal number of offs. At the end of the final Heat "Mr. X" was once again at the top of the leaderboard with a lap total of 192, six laps clear of the second place finisher. Darryl's smokin' fast lap of 4.735 was impressive for the fact it was .177 better than the next fastest.

The battle for second was a great one. Jeff Eve and Pete Varlan pushed each other all evening long. When the smoke cleared Jeff was a mere .03 laps ahead of Pete, 186.04 v. 186-01!

The Father-Son duo of Dave and Rich Buchholz were also locked into some tight racing action. At the end of the sixteen minutes Dave managed a miniscule .04 lap lead over his son Rich for family bragging rights this week. 

All in all another great time on the Ogilvie Hill Climb at Fantasy Raceways! 

Fantasy 11-3 Results.jpg

Fantasy 11-3 Cars.jpg

Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen's Stars & Stripes, 1st Place

Jeff Eve's Orange Fade, 2nd Place

Pete Varlan's, White Lightening, 3rd Place

More great racing opportunities on tap:

Drag Racing - Wednesday, November 4

Classic Plastic Hard Body - Thursday, November 5

Retroflex - Tuesday, November 10

GT1 Inaugural Event - Friday, November 13

HO IROC & E-Fray - Saturday, November 14

• Eddie Fleming likes this

#42 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:54 PM

November 10 Retroflex

...and a good time was had by all.

Seven Racers braved the unseasonable 74 degree Rochester weather to make it to Fantasy Raceways for Tuesday Retroflex racing.  :sun_bespectacled:

Retroflex racing is almost always a good time. This Tuesday was an exception. This week it was SO much fun we decided to race ten heats instead of the usual eight! Ok, it was a computer glitch that forced us to restart the race, that doesn't make it any less fun. 

With a two heat "warmup" behind us the racing was fast and furious, as always. Proprietor and all around nice guy Jeff Eve took the early lead and kept it throughout the race. The Buchholz duo, Rich and Dave, did their best to press the leader but couldn't rattle Jeff into making enough mistakes to overtake him. Jeff's 192 lap total resulted in a five lap margin of victory over second place finisher Rich Buchholz. Two laps back from his son Rich, Dave Buchholz laid claim to the final podium position. 

Jeff also had the fast lap of the evening turning a 4.875 on the Green lane.

Fantasy 11-10 Results.jpg

Fantasy 11-10 Podium.jpg

Rich Buchholz 2nd - Jeff Eve 1st - Dave Buchholz 3rd

Fantasy 11-10 Group.jpg

Left to right: Front: Kevin Kapell, Rich Buchholz

Back: Chris Kapell, Jeff Eve, Dave Buchholz, Bill Wojtyla

Upcoming Fantasy Events:

Drag Racing - Wednesday November 11

Classic Plastic Hardbody - Thursday November 12

GT1 Inaugural - Friday November 13

Retroflex - Tuesday November 17

If you find yourself in the vicinity of Dewey Avenue in Rochester NY please stop by Fantasy Raceways and check out the slot car action. You will be glad you did!

#43 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:03 PM

GT1 Inaugural at Fantasy November 13

A total of eight racers showed up on Friday the 13th for the first race of the newest Class at Fantasy, GT1. The Class is made up of two Divisions. The Sportsman Division is for new or less experienced racers. The Pro Division is for those with a good deal of experience and/or wins in other Classes run at Fantasy. There are also car class rules that differentiate the Divisions.

Fantasy GT1 Group (2).jpg

Left to right

Front - Rich Joslin, Rich Buchholz

Back - Bill Wojtyla, Tony Stuhler, Pete Varlan, Darryl Voleshen, Jeff Eve, Dave Buchholz

First up was the Sportsman group. With only three in the group for this first race they were all pretty confident in their odds of making the podium. "New Guy" Rich Joslin got the jump on Rich Buchholz and Bill Wojtyla and led the race from start to finish. Rich ran all eight heats cleanly finishing with a lap total of 190. Rich and Bill settled into a good groove also and the entire race was very well driven. The fast lap of the group was 4.842 by Rich Joslin on the Orange lane.

Fantasy GT1 Sportsman Results (2).jpg

Fantasy GT1 Sportsman Podium (2).jpg

Rich Buchholz 2nd - Rich Joslin 1st - Bill Wojtyla 3rd

The Pros took their positions at the driver stations next. The five veterans engaged in a pretty dicey race as they were getting comfortable with their new rides. At about the mid-point of the race Tony Stuhler found another gear and began to pull away from the crowd. As Tony was cruising to a very comfortable 9 lap victory Pete Varlan and Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen were locked in a very close battle for the remaining two podium positions. At the checkered flag it was Pete in front of Darryl by .17 lap for second place. Tony garnered fast lap honors with a 4.475 on Green.

Fantasy GT1 Pro Results (2).jpg

Fantasy GT1 Pro Podium (2).jpg

Tony Stuhler 1st - Pete Varlan 2nd - Darryl Voleshen 3rd

Thanks to everyone for supporting the effort to expand the Fantasy Racing Program. 

Racing on tap at Fantasy

Retroflex - Tuesday November 17

Drag Racing - Wednesday November 18

Classic Plastic Hardbody - Thursday November 19

#44 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

Retroflex November 17

Cold and windy on the outside. Hot Retroflex racing on the inside!

Six is the number of racers who made their way to Fantasy Raceways to challenge each other on the Ogilvie Hillclimb. It was one of the more competitive races we have had over the last several weeks. The podium was in question right up to the end of the final heat. Only one lap separated first and second. Only one lap also separated third through fifth. 

With "Mr. X", Darryl Voleshen, back in action this week he was the man to beat. Jeff Eve made a charge late in the race to get as close to Darryl's Stars & Stripes McLaren as anyone has recently. At the checkered flag though it was "Mr. X" with another "Class Winner" sticker for his pit box. Fast lap of the night was a 4.807 posted by Darryl on Green.

Meanwhile, at the beginning of the last heat, Pete Varlan, Rich Joslin and Dave Buchholz were all at 162 laps and vying for the final spot on the podium. All three ran a clean heat. When the power went off Dave was .07 of a lap in front of Pete with Rich slightly less than one lap behind Pete.

Fantasy 11-17 Results (2).jpg

Fantasy 11-17 Podium (2).jpg

Jeff Eve 2nd - Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 1st - Dave Buchholz 3rd

Fantasy 11-17 Cars (2).jpg

Buchholz                   Voleshen                      Kapell                             Eve                            Varlan                        Joslin

More racing on tap at Fantasy Raceways:

Drag Racing - Wednesday November 18

Classic Plastic Hardbody - Thursday November 19

GT1 Sportsman/Pro - Friday November 20

Retroflex - Tuesday November 24

HO IROC/E-Fray - Saturday December 5

#45 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

Nice touch putting the names under the cars in the photo.

• Rich Joslin likes this
Eddie Fleming

#46 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

GT1 Round 2

Starting off the evening was the Sportsman Division. "New Guy" Rich Joslin was hoping to get a streak started but Rich Buchholz had made some improvements to his car and was ready to rumble. Fortunately for the new guy he was able to take an early lead because Rich B. came on strong the last few heats, running multiple fast laps, to keep Rich J. from running away from the group. At the finish both racers had increased their lap totals from last week with Rich Joslin posting 194 to win by just under 8 laps. Bill Wojtyla had some motor issues that prevented him from improving on last weeks result but to his credit he maintained a positive attitude and drove another good race. Rich Buchholz ran the fast lap of the Sportsman Division, a 4.732 on the Orange lane.

Fantasy 11-20 Sportsman Results (2).jpg

Fantasy 11-20 Sportsman Podium (2).jpg

Rich Buchholz 2nd     -     Rich Joslin 1st     -     Bill Wojtyla 3rd

GT1 Pro took to the Hillclimb next to see if they had dialed in their cars following the inaugural event shake down the previous week. The racing was a bit heated with multiple body crumbling collisions and flying cars hitting the floor. The Marshals had their hands full, literally at times. Staying clear of the traffic proved to be a considerable advantage. Tony Stuhler managed to pick up just about where he left off last week running numerous fast laps while racking up a 205 lap total to top the Podium. Just like the previous week Pete Varlan and Darryl Voleshen were duking it out for second place. Pete steered clear of most of the pile ups and ran a pretty clean race allowing him to out pace Darryl 197 to 195. The fast Pro lap was turned by Tony Stuhler, a 4.502 on Green.

Fantasy 11-20 Pro Results (2).jpg

Fantasy 11-20 GT1 Pro Podium (2).jpg

Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 3rd     -     Pete Varlan 2nd     -     Tony Stuhler 1st

It was decided that GT1 will be a regular Friday addition to the Fantasy Race Program. Keep an eye on this space for a recap of the action.

Fantasy Raceways, located at 3787 Dewey Ave. in Rochester NY, has exciting slot car action available Tuesday thru Sunday. Stop by and check out the six lane HO track, 1/24 scale Ogilvie Hillclimb or the 1000' scale Drag Strip. Proprietors Bobbi and Jeff Eve will be glad to see you and you will be happy you stopped in.

#47 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:49 PM

Retroflex night in Rochester

Let's go racing!

The Ogilvie Hillclimb attracted a group of seven racers this evening hoping to take down the reigning Retroflex champ, Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen. In practice some of us were grasping at any little thing to think that Darryl might stumble a bit and leave one of us an opening. "He changed brushes and springs." "He changed his paint scheme." "His car is orange maybe he will confuse it with one of the other orange cars." 

We should have known better.

He did admit to focusing on the wrong orange car once but that certainly wasn't enough to knock him from the top of the podium. "Mr. X", new hardware and all, managed to post his typical 190+ lap total to keep his streak alive with a 4 lap victory. Maybe next week, right?

The race for second was a doozy. Jeff Eve and Dave Buchholz  were locked in a battle throughout the evening. Over the last few heats they both kept it in the slot and pushed each other along. It was one of those races that came down to track sections. When the final tally was announced Dave had edged Jeff out by a mere .06 of a lap. It doesn't get much closer than that.

A welcome back to John Voellinger. 

Fantasy 11-24 Results B (2).jpg

Fantasy 11-24 Podium (2).jpg

Dave Buchholz 2nd        -        Darryl "Mr. X" Volehen 1st        -        Jeff Eve 3rd

Fantasy 11-24 Group (2).jpg

Left to right

Kneeling: Dave Buchholz, Rich Joslin

Back: Chris Kapell, Jeff Eve, Bill Wojtyla, Darryl Voleshen, John Voellinger

Check out the racing action at Fantasy Raceways!

Wednesday November 25 - Drag Racing

Friday November 27 - GT1

Tuesday December 1 - Retroflex

Saturday December 5 - HO, IROC and E-Fray

#48 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:49 PM

GT1 Friday at Fantasy

The post Thanksgiving Day crowd was a bit sparse. Maybe one or several too many servings of pumpkin pie?

With only five racers on hand the Sportsman and Pro Divisions were combined for the evening. Pete Varlan and Jim Harter, in his first GT1 appearance, jumped to the front of the pack and stayed there for the duration. In the end it was Jim taking the checkered flag with a lap total of 202 to Pete's 198. Jim also clocked the fast Pro lap of 4.557 on the White lane. Jeff Eve filled out the Pro podium in third place with 187 laps.

Rich Joslin was the top Sportsman of the night with a lap total of 189 and the fast lap of 4.904 on Purple.

Looking forward to a larger group at the GT1 race next Friday as a week should be time enough for those missing in action to recover from any tryptophan induced drowsiness.

Fantasy 11-27 Results A (2).jpg

Fantasy 11-27 Cars (2).jpg

Wojtyla                         Joslin                                  Eve                                 Varlan                                  Harter

Fantasy 11-27 Group (2).jpg

Kneeling - Pete Varlan

Left-Right - Bill Wojtyla, Jim Harter, Jeff Eve

Fantasy Raceways upcoming events:

Modifieds - Sunday November 29th

Retroflex - Tuesday December 1st

Drag Racing - Wednesday December 2nd

Classic Plastic Hardbody - Thursday December 3rd

GT1 - Friday December 4th

HO IROC/E-Fray - Saturday December 5th

Fantasy Raceways is open Tuesday - Sunday. Stop on by and see what all the excitement is about!

#49 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:17 PM

Retroflex, Tuesday December 1

Not sure just how to describe this one folks....

I will call it "interesting" and leave it at that.

Seven Racers made it to the track for the weekly Retroflex brawl. Perhaps a more accurate description would be, Retroflex King "Mr. X" and six other racers made it to the track because that is what the results indicate happened. Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen distanced himself from the pack from the beginning and never looked back cruising to a seven lap victory. Darryl also posted the fast lap of the night with a 4.813 on Green. 

The race to fill out the rest of the podium was where the battle started. Jeff Eve made up some ground throughout the later heats to put himself in podium contention along with Dave Buchholz and Pete Varlan. At the start of the final heat all three were on the same lap. At the finish it was Pete who managed to distance himself just a bit clocking 186.07 laps for second place.  Dave clung to a .03 lap margin over Jeff to finish in third.

Fantasy 12-1 Results (2).jpg

Fantasy 12-1 Podium (2).jpg

Pete Varlan 2nd   -   Darryl "Mr. X" Voleshen 1st   -   Dave Buchholz 3rd

Fantasy 12-1 Group (2).jpg

Front: Dave Buchholz

Rear, left to right: Chris Kapell, Bill Wojtyla, Pete Varlan, Jeff Eve, Darryl Voleshen

On deck at Fantasy Raceways:

Drag Racing - Wednesday December 2nd

Classic Plastic Hardbody - Thursday December 3rd

GT1 Sportsman/Pro - Friday December 4th

HO IROC/E-Fray - Saturday December 5th

Get in out of the cold and warm up with some hot slot car action at Fantasy Raceways! Drag Strip, 6-lane HO and 1/24 145' Ogilvie Hillclimb are available for your enjoyment.

#50 Rich Joslin

Rich Joslin

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:23 PM

Friday Night GT1 at Fantasy

So much great racing to document, let's get busy!

The eight Racers eager to participate in the GT1 event were greeted with their first variable to factor into race prep as soon as they walked in the door; a shiny clean, freshly glued Ogilvie Hillclimb.

Fantasy 12-4 Clean Track (2).jpg

Lots of tire testing going on in the practice session on this night.

Kicking off the evening was the Sportsman Division. The Sportsman Division is for lesser experienced Racers who are required to play by a tight set of rules to encourage new participants to join in the hobby. If you live in the Finger Lakes area of NY and are looking for something fun and exciting to engage in think about coming out to join us. It is a friendly and helpful group that will quickly assist with getting you up to speed.

Bill Wojtyla, Rich Buchholz and "New Guy" Rich Joslin ran an entertaining race. The marshals were a bit busy but just enough to keep them focused on the race. Once again Rich Joslin managed to take the early lead and hold on to it to claim the victory. Rich Buchholz finished in second with Bill Wojtyla taking third. Rich Buchholz had the fast lap of the group with a 4.759 on White.

Fantasy 12-4 Sportsman Results (2).jpg

Fantasy 12-4 Sportsman Podium (2).jpg

Rich Buchholz 2nd - Rich Joslin 1st - Bill Wojtyla 3rd

The Pro Division was up next. It has been interesting to see how this group has continued to dial in their cars over the first few races of this new Class. The racing this week was cleaner and closer, a testament to the focus applied to finding just the right set up. Pete Varlan, Darryl Voleshen and Tony Stuhler were bunched up throughout the race. At the checkered flag it was Darryl in front of Tony followed closely in third by Pete. Tony Stuhler clocked the fast lap on Green, a 4.460.

Fantasy 12-4 Pro Results (2).jpg

Fantasy 12-4 Pro Podium (2).jpg

Pete Varlan 3rd - Darryl "Mr. X." Voleshen 1st - Tony Stuhler 2nd

Upcoming events at Fantasy Raceways

Retroflex - Tuesday December 8.

Electric Dreams Online Shop