1 reply to this topic

#1 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:06 PM

First of all, let me point out that it has been many years since The Doghouse gang ran an enduro race. Many, many years.

Regardless, we chose to have a special 2-hour enduro race to honor our friend Don Weaver on January 4. We wanted to pay homage to Don's chassis-building skills and run a special set of chassis that he built for us a couple years ago. The man's craftsmanship is remarkable -- really makes my creations look amateurish.

As an example, here's the chassis that Bob Arneson and I used in the race:

Don Weaver chassis.jpg

Please ignore the tire crud; the photo was taken after we completed a race, so it had seen a good bit of action, as you'll soon see from the lap totals. Take note of the beautiful multi-rail design. It drives really well. Very smooth. But that's expected, as Don has never built a bad chassis.

So, we gathered the usual gang along with some newcomers to our races. Meet the gang:

The Gang.jpg

(L-R: "Fast Richard" Sylvester, David "White Shadow" Erickson, Jay Pittman, Marty "Dr. C" Cwiakala, Dan "Rocky the Flying Squirrel" Parker, "Captain" Keith Leggett, Bob Feller, Bob Arneson, and yours truly, Jim "SlowBeas" Beasley up front. Conspicuously absent is Don Weaver, who was unable to attend.)

Briefly, the format for this two-man-team enduro was a total of 8 heats (run as two races of 4 heats each). Each heat would be 13 minutes, with a two minute break between to alternate drivers and tend to the car. Eight heats allowed each driver to run each of the four lanes, while their partner served as a turn marshal.

Both sets of heats were full of action -- and a few sensational crashes. When all was done, we tallied the laps:

Totals.jpg

In the second set of heats, the team of Dan P and Bob F suffered a setback as Dan's Third Eye controller malfunctioned. He was forced to borrow a controller for the rest of the heats, which (as any racer knows) puts him and his partner at a disadvantage. Still, they ran fast as the car appeared super-charged, and the race was quite a challenge. Bob A. and I were fortunate enough to pull out the win.

Winners.jpg

We know that Dan will have his controller repaired very soon, and he'll be ready for the next race at The Doghouse. We'll be sure to have photos to share of the day when it arrives.

Until then, good racing to all!

jb

• Pete L., bluecars and Eddie Fleming like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#2 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

A quick note about the setup: Bob and I used one of my old Puppy Dog motors (with American arm and can bearing) geared 9/29. Alpha tires, slightly oversized to ensure clearance, switching to JKs after the first four heats. Yes, we teched afterward to ensure nobody was under .040 clearance at the end.

It was a blast, even though driving at such speeds for 13 minutes straight can really tax an old brain like mine!

Come join us if you're ever in the neighborhood.

jb

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

Electric Dreams Online Shop