Photo

Three-piece or two-piece chassis reasoning?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

I just purchased a Mossetti Defender trio, to go along with my stable of a two piece Defender and a JK43 Aeolos chassis.

The question I have is, if you you running a Three piece chassis, why did you choose it over a two piece, and what setup and handling differences do you notice in comparison.

One consideration I had in the purchase of the three piece was thinking (not yet knowing) that getting each pan flat would be easier. And slapping the walls may have less of an effect on disrupting the chassis during a race, as the pans are independently mounted.

If YOU also run BOTH two and three piece chassis please comment as to your findings of comparisons between them.

Pre-emptive thanks.

Dave Buchholz

#2 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

Not sure you'll get a good answer to that question.  I have run both 2&3 piece chassis on both highbank and flat tracks.  I prefer a 2 piece for smooth flat tracks and King tracks. I haven't run on any particularly rough tracks for some time but maybe a 3 piece might work better.  I have found a really good use for my 3 piece Mossetti.  I use it on ovals and tri-ovals with a stock steel pan on the inside and an aluminum pan on the outside.  It seems to work very well for me.  I haven't compared it to a two piece with an all aluminum pan weighted on the inside.  I'm sure someone on here can give the answer your looking for this is just what I've come up with.          

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this
Fred Younkin

#3 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:27 AM

Anybody else with some insight on three piece vs two piece chassis?

#4 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:21 AM

Preference

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion & 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion & Retro Can-Am Champion

USSCA 2017 All Around Champion

USSCA 2019 All Around Champion

#5 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

IMO you need to have 1 of each model's chassis' center section ready to test at every race. There is no Jack of all trades but all Mossetti 3 peice centers can accept most 1 peice pans that have a straight brace.

By using a 3 peice center and the 10+ pans that fit it you will be prepared for a multitude of track conditions and types.
  • Pappy likes this
David Parrotta

#6 Dave Buchholz

Dave Buchholz

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

Played with both a three piece and two piece. Three piece was smoother in the corners felt more planted in this instance.

Recognizing conditions change I will have both ready for a GTP race this Saturday 01/11 at Fantasy Raceway in Rochester. I'll make they are flat chassis and same rollouts.

Electric Dreams Online Shop