3 replies to this topic

#1 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:00 AM

Just picked up these sheets for "Gar Vic Champion Raceways"... never heard of them or seen any other reference. Did they ever built and release these? Were they quickly sold to some other company? 

I'm showing the intro page here, which is oddly ungrammatical, and one of the track sheets - there are four other tracks, which are more or less copies of AMR and Engleman (150' version). 

Any info appreciated. 

Don 

Gar Vic Champion Raceways.jpg

Gar Vic Champion Raceways R100.jpg

#2 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:27 AM

I would like to see the other track configurations available. The one shown is somewhat similar to my local track from back in the day. The Elmhurst

Slot Raceway ran counter-, or anti-, clockwise. After the big bank you made a slight jog to the left, went under the bridge at the donut, came off the

donut at a higher level, then there was a drop down to the level of the hairpin. Once around the hairpin you were back on the front straight. The

track had paneling just as the one shown, but that was pretty popular back then. I spent some time on the west coast back in the mid-sixties and

never saw or heard of a Gar-Vic track, but I used a lot of their products when I first started assembling my cars from parts. I wonder if Elmhurst had

one of those tracks.

#3 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:22 AM

The top design sure looks like an AMCR Orange Monarch to me. The bottom drawing is a completely different track.

The top sheet lists Akron, Ohio, as the shipping point, but the bottom sheet references North Hollywood, California. WTF?

If you have any more info Don, please post it. I'm curious.

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#4 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Here's the original auction, which shows at least one photo that didn't come in the envelope, so I asked them to check if they have it. 

https://www.ebay.com...ordt=true&rt=nc

The other four tracks basically have the same description, with only length and shape of track changing, but will post as soon as I can. 

Don 

Electric Dreams Online Shop