• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zack Morgan

Zack Morgan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

I just raced this thing for the first time a week ago. 

We run a pretty open sportscar class. Has to be inline, .750+ tires, body no wider than 3.250".

Most of the guys run Ferrari Modena spyders, but I wanted something different. So I built this up using a Tamiya 300zx kit. The chassis is a combination of ideas I have seen on some of the better builders in my club. 

The main chassis .092" brass, with a rattle pan style center and then hinged body mounting flaps. .055" wire rails. 

Turned out to be a very competitive car, especially for having shorter lead length than the Ferrari's. 

49390801982_0aa924b099_b.jpg

The front axle was slightly off in this pic, I corrected later!

49390126343_49cf885faa_b.jpg

49498729637_8dbdf224a9_k.jpg

49498007128_996d44a436_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Zack

• Lou E and Eddie Fleming like this

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:43 PM

Interesting chassis Zack. Glad to hear it was competitive from the get-go. Was Bob Hanna one of your better building club members?

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

Zack's chassis does have features in common with a Hanna Chassis, and considering that he is racing in Oregon,

I would bet that he is racing against guys that are running genuine Hannas.  :good:

One of the guys in our group that races hardbodies on Bob Hanna's track also runs a Nissan in the Sports Car class:

post-167-0-19635400-1557235294.jpg

You can't always get what you want...

#4 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

Judging by the split side pans, I think the chassis is based upon a Bob McFarland design. Bob is one of the top builders in the Portland area and has organized building classes for new racers. Hanna has not built a chassis for others in many years. Bob McFarland built a Sport Car chassis for me nearly 15 years ago. It is still competitive. Fortunately for me, I acquired several Hanna chassis before he stopped building for others. I race these builds for nearly all classes we run at STR.  For so many, scratch building is a lost art. It takes a great deal of time, effort and skill to produce a winner.

As an aside, this is why True Scale, hardbody chassis run at Electron Raceway are production. The production models need to be modified but are much easier to build.  Not knocking scratch builds but I have chosen to go another way

Rich Vecchio

#5 Zack Morgan

Zack Morgan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

You guys are correct. I too own many Hanna cars, they do perform very well!  Bob McFarland attended the race where I first ran this car. His chassis are definitely some of the inspiration for the pan design etc. I built on this car. 

Rvec, I really like the production chassis. Except they pretty much aren't in production anymore and are getting very hard to find when you have new guys trying to get into the hobby. 

I enjoy the scratchbuilding process, there is definitely something a little more special about doing well with a car you built from a pile of raw material. 

Zack

#6 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

You guys are correct. I too own many Hanna cars, they do perform very well!  Bob McFarland attended the race where I first ran this car. His chassis are definitely some of the inspiration for the pan design etc. I built on this car. 

Rvec, I really like the production chassis. Except they pretty much aren't in production anymore and are getting very hard to find when you have new guys trying to get into the hobby. 

I enjoy the scratchbuilding process, there is definitely something a little more special about doing well with a car you built from a pile of raw material. 

Zack

Zack

Slot Point has taken over Scholer. Although I have not ordered from them, it looks like they are well stocked. Check them out and let me know how it goes. here is the link https://slotpoint.de/Schoeler-Chassis

Rich Vecchio

#7 Zack Morgan

Zack Morgan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:12 PM

Zack

Slot Point has taken over Scholer. Although I have not ordered from them, it looks like they are well stocked. Check them out and let me know how it goes. here is the link https://slotpoint.de/Schoeler-Chassis

I am glad they are still available somewhere, but one website in Germany is hardly "available". 

They are great chassis, and very good to get people going. But I am glad we race both scratch built and these!

Zack

Electric Dreams Online Shop