• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:10 PM

I was going to have colon cancer surgery and wanted something to do around the house while recuperating. I threw this together with no driver's panel and all 4 lanes wired to one controller. It was good enough for my needs at the time. Turned out I had a much rougher and longer recovery than normal. No one could figure out why. So I rarely messed with the track. I rarely did much of anything for that matter.

Fast forward over 4 years later. No cancer and doing much better. I decided it was time  got off my a$$ and finished the track up so me and my grand kids can do some racin'. When I first built it I bought a Track Mate system, but I've the torn house apart looking for it and can't find it. I guess I'll be buying another. :mad:

I've still got a ways to go but I'm actually making progress, so I'm a bit stoked about it. Not a looker, but hey, it'll work!

Track.jpg

• Tim Neja, NSwanberg, Peter Horvath and 3 others like this

Phil Smith ® ©

#2 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:14 PM

OK, the real reason I posted this:

The track might not look that hot but the wring is a sight to behold. Not everyone can do this. I have a gift.

TrackWiring.jpg

• chaparrAL, airhead, Peter Horvath and 3 others like this

Phil Smith ® ©

#3 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:33 PM

Phil,

You gots more of a gift than me...

• Dallas Racer likes this

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:26 AM

The raceway should be a lot of fun to run on when it's done. And i say this not being an HO guy. All that wiring in your second photo doesn't show in your first photo, so you obviously found a way to neaten it up or just push it up.. .i'll bet you were the only person who could troubleshoot that wiring if problems appeared. That's where your gift was. :)

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:33 AM

Great project. Hope you have many happy years sharing with grand kids. My first track was an Xmas gift of a Aurora Model Motoring 4 lane. You can't imagine the fun we had racing in our finished basement as kids. My brother and I spent countless hours changing layouts, racing and having a ball!

Rich Vecchio

#6 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

The raceway should be a lot of fun to run on when it's done. And i say this not being an HO guy. All that wiring in your second photo doesn't show in your first photo, so you obviously found a way to neaten it up or just push it up.. .i'll bet you were the only person who could troubleshoot that wiring if problems appeared. That's where your gift was. :)

Bill, I haven't done anything with the wiring yet. It just doesn't show up from that angle.

I had a long buss bar (too long really), but it was the wrong kind (it's a terminal and a common would have been better). And I couldn't find my wire ring connectors, so I thought I'd wirenut it all together for the time being.

But after more thought I think I'll put some hooks on the underside of the track and just stuff it all up there as it is. No one will ever see it (well if I hadn't posted that pic no one would have ever seen it  :laugh2: ). And as far as I know there's no electrical advantage to using a buss bar, so I ain't gonna fix if it ain't broke.

Old guitar amplifiers were wired what's called "point to point". It is commonly believed that this had profoundly positive effect on how they sound, which is really good. Modern pricey guitar amps are also wired this way. So my wiring almost certainly makes the cars sound better. It's most notable on T-Jets.  :laugh2:

Attached Images

• Fender_Pro_Reverb.jpg

• chaparrAL likes this

Phil Smith ® ©

#7 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

Great project. Hope you have many happy years sharing with grand kids. My first track was an Xmas gift of a Aurora Model Motoring 4 lane. You can't imagine the fun we had racing in our finished basement as kids. My brother and I spent countless hours changing layouts, racing and having a ball!

Thanks, Rich! I think I had one as a kid too. Maybe it was one of my brother's track. I remember not liking it much because the cars de-sloted so easily. At ~ 6 years old I couldn't keep the car on the track.

Who would have ever thought that an old T-Jet could be made to handle as well and go as fast as Fray cars do.

Phil Smith ® ©

#8 jpelton

jpelton

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

Did you route the track or was purchased? If so where did you get it. 

Jack Pelton

#9 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

Jack, It's a MaxTrax. 4' X 12'.  https://www.maxtraxracing.com/

I wanted a sectional track so I could change the layout. I ordered extra sections so I can make this layout as well.

4412-03new.gif

Phil Smith ® ©

#10 jpelton

jpelton

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

What a great set up. I was not aware Max Trax, I need to order a track so I can do the same thing for when my grandkids are visiting

Jack Pelton

#11 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

Check into Viper Scale racing.  They've got some great routed tracks for not too much money that could easily work for your grand kids!! Store it under a bed until your ready to race!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop