• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

I found my TrackMate system and got it working. I have an adjustable power supply. I could use some suggestions on where to put them both. The PS is alright where it's at I guess. Easy to reach and see to adjust the voltage. The computer needs to be accessible from the driver's panel because rarely will there be more than me and my three grandkids racing, so at least one of us needs to be able to reach it while racing.

Suggestions appreciated!

TtrackLayout.jpg

Phil Smith ® ©

#2 Brian Czeiner

Brian Czeiner

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:48 PM

Have you considered a wireless mouse to control the 'puter? They are super cheap and you could build a little shelf along your back hairpins to set the 'puter on. Or set the 'puter below and put a screen somewhere on the wall. 19" screens are dirt cheap on craigslist. It gets all of the wires out of danger of collision. Maybe mount the power supply vertical and the side of the track between the controller stations or a shelf below. 

Just some thoughts.

If it's not a Caveman, It's HISTORY!

cavemanbodeez@gmail.com         http://www.cavemanbodeez.com

#3 mreibman

mreibman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

Make a shelf underneath for the power supply. Actually, on second thought...

Put a 2" hole near the P/S through the table top. Get a grommet from Home Depot or staples (desk grommet - match the size to the hole or get the grommet first and then drill the hole.

Cables then can neatly duck through the table.

Add a bit of cable management, even if it's some staples and Velcro.

BAM. Good to go!

Mike Reibman
Alleged amateur racer
Mostly just play with lots of cars.
Able to maintain slot cars with a single bound.
Faster than a speeding womp.
More powerful than a 36D

#4 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

I mounted my power supply on a sliding shelf as pictured below.  If you made the shelf longer the computer could sit on the end.  Then even when the shelf is retracted the computer would still be accessible by at least two of the drivers if you positioned this between the two drivers panels.

IMG_2330.JPG

• Cheater, kvanpelt, Tim Wilkins and 1 other like this

Jay Guard

IRRA Board of Directors Member, 2007-2010 (non-voting advisor)

Retro Racer & Flat Track Fanatic

#5 wjtaylor

wjtaylor

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:00 PM

Aand keep all the data lines away from the AC power. A minimum of 12 inches, 24 would be better.

I can't begin to tell you how many point of sale systems I had to go out on because the dealers liked to bundle them all together and then lie to me about it.

It does not look like you will any flourescent fixtures near the data line so no problem there. Flourescent lighting and data line are not good together.

Just to make sure you understand, the info coming from the lap counter to the PC is considered data lines.

• Samiam and mreibman like this
Bill Taylor
Hi-Speed Products

#6 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

Have you considered a wireless mouse to control the 'puter? They are super cheap and you could build a little shelf along your back hairpins to set the 'puter on. Or set the 'puter below and put a screen somewhere on the wall. 19" screens are dirt cheap on craigslist. It gets all of the wires out of danger of collision. Maybe mount the power supply vertical and the side of the track between the controller stations or a shelf below. 

Just some thoughts.

Brian, great ideas! I'll do the wireless mouse for sure and probably the wall mounted monitor as well.

I split the control panel into two small panels to leave the middle clear. As it is, I can just barely reach across to the back side of the track to grab de-slotted cars. I wouldn't be able to do that if I added the power supply there. Otherwise that would be the perfect spot for it.

Make a shelf underneath for the power supply. Actually, on second thought...

Put a 2" hole near the P/S through the table top. Get a grommet from Home Depot or staples (desk grommet - match the size to the hole or get the grommet first and then drill the hole.

Cables then can neatly duck through the table.

Add a bit of cable management, even if it's some staples and Velcro.

BAM. Good to go!

Mike, that's what I had planned on doing, but I didn't want to punch any holes in the plywood until I was sure that's where the PS was going to be located.

I like the velcro suggestion! I hung four 1 1/2" conduit pipe clamps last night and *tried* to stuff my birds nest of wires up under the track. It's such a mess it didn't work very well.  I will definitely get some velcro straps.

If you've seen my other thread about my track, you know that "cable management" is not a term that should be used when talking about my wiring. More like "cable mismanagement".

I mounted my power supply on a sliding shelf as pictured below.  If you made the shelf longer the computer could sit on the end.  Then even when the shelf is retracted the computer would still be accessible by at least two of the drivers if you positioned this between the two drivers panels.

Damn, Jay, are you trying to embarrass me? That's really nice work.

Part of the reason I went the wirenut route is I have a bad back. Getting down on the floor and wiring a buss bar would be a very unpleasant experience. With a hand mirror, I managed to wire the track and hang the hooks without getting out of my chair.

I haven't directly looked at the bottom of the track - maybe ever. I'm not sure that I even did when I built it 4 years ago.

But a pull out shelf like yours would be ideal! I'll put some thought into doing that as well.

Aand keep all the data lines away from the AC power. A minimum of 12 inches, 24 would be better.

I can't begin to tell you how many point of sale systems I had to go out on because the dealers liked to bundle them all together and then lie to me about it.

It does not look like you will any flourescent fixtures near the data line so no problem there. Flourescent lighting and data line are not good together.

Just to make sure you understand, the info coming from the lap counter to the PC is considered data lines.

Bill, I knew that about audio and video cabling, something I have experience with home recording and home theater, but I didn't know that about data lines. Thanks for the heads up!

Phil Smith ® ©

Electric Dreams Online Shop