Photo

The ultimate 1/24 Can-Am slot car collection?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

Gets my vote...

• slotbaker, hiline2, Tex and 5 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:35 PM

Doesn't show if they are slot cars. If those are all die cast, it's a little less impressive, but a really cool collection nontheless.

I wish there had been more info on the models.

#3 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

Like the little guitar pick and nice-looking Can Ams but not quite good enough to make the DC-65X Diaries display case.

• Pablo likes this

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

Doesn't show if they are slot cars. If those are all die cast, it's a little less impressive, but a really cool collection non-the-less. I wish there had been more info on the models.

Dave,

These are indeed all slot cars and use one of those bolt-up chassis often seen in Europe and Germany.

Michael Niemas has several build videos, some short and some longer, on his YouTube channel. Here's one of them:

Obviously, these guys are into hyper detail but they do race the cars on a regular basis. Here's a video posted Feb 22, 2020.

• hiline2, Alchemist and strummer like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

There is somebody in Germany (I think) that has been making extremely expensive Can-Am slot cars and body kits. I've seen some video from a guy's collection in Oz and the cars he has look on par with these. They are not really built to race. More like fine scale models. I believe the price I heard was $400-$500 each. 

Whatever, those are beautiful cars from an era that produced the most beautiful cars ever, in my opinion.   

• Ramcatlarry likes this

Matt Bishop

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

Two that I know of are Niemas Racecars and Fein-Design-Modell.

They are not really built to race. 

You might get different opinions about that from Howie and Fred Hood. Fred Hood's at the panel this final in Belgium in 2009 and Howie filmed it, as he didn't make the final. I believe these are similar super-detailed cars.

• hiline2 and Alchemist like this

Gregory Wells

#7 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

Greg,

Thanks for clearing that up. No reason why we can't have a hardbody sports car class in the Chi-town area. I used to run IMCA, and our
cars were never that detailed. In that video, none of the cars are stationary to get a good look.

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

Maybe Howie will chime in; after all, he was there.

That race was in 2009 and the German super-scale guys have upped their game considerably since that time.

• hiline2 likes this

Gregory Wells

#9 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,363 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Beautiful toys.   :heart:

• MattD likes this

Paul Wolcott

#10 Jens Scale Racing

Jens Scale Racing

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:59 AM

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for posting the videos. The 3-minute one shows a race held in January on our Martinsthal clubtrack near Wiesbaden.

We got about 60 of these cars for that race and the worth, estimating 500 Euros per car minimum, would be a total amount of 30,000 Euros!

These cars are about 250 to 300 Euros, parts only. The highly-detailed ones and stunning builds of Michael Niemas and other top builders were sold up to 1,800 Euros.

By the way: on the blue King track the times are about 9 seconds/lap. With a small Fox 13D motor (23,000 RPM) and polyurethane tires...

And, yes, there is a producer, Karl-Heinz Hornberg, who loves Can-Am cars and is producing the best slot racing kits in the world under the label of "Fein Design."

Feel free to have a look here: http://fein-design-modell.de/

On my homepage you can find similar slot cars I've built since 1996: http://www.jens-slot...ahre/index.html

Regards!
  • Cheater, hiline2, DE38 and 3 others like this
Dieter "DJ" Jens
JSR gallery

#11 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

Fein Design is what I had seen. I don't know if I would care to race anything that nice. Kind of the ultimate in detailed slot cars. Fantastic work. At 9 seconds a lap on a  King, they would be much safer than running 5 -6 second laps.

• hiline2 likes this

Matt Bishop

#12 strummer

strummer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:29 AM

Absolutely stunning... but I'm not at all surprised.

When I was into HO scale trains, I had some Austrian and German stuff (just because it was different and kinda cool) so I became familiar with what our European counterparts were up to. The level of detail on their layouts was far superior (in my opinion) to what we were doing over here. It was generally accepted that this is because US modelers tend to have larger layouts, with more emphasis on 'operation': the Euro modeler typically has less room to fill, so they can detail the heck out of their displays... so I'm not too surprised that that love of intricate detail would carry into slot cars.

I could watch these videos for hours... and I probably will!   :)

Mark in Oregon

Mark Mugnai

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

Here's a video of Michael Niemas' build of the Shadow DN4.

• MattD likes this

Gregory Wells

#14 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

That Shadow is an incredible build. 

I was interested in building one of these, but I think the body may have been out of production and a bare body sold on eBay for over $100, so I gave that up. Later a guy did a 3D body for me by upscaling a 1/32 program. It was kind of crude and took a lot of work, but I eventually smoothed it out and used it to make a mold. I ended up with a car that I am am not afraid to race and it fits in with junk level of my built-up race cars!!!

P1010006.JPG

• Samiam and strummer like this

Matt Bishop

Electric Dreams Online Shop