• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrjr

jrjr

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:43 PM

This is my own design of trackside boxes. I laser cut these from 1/8" premium Baltic Birch laser grade plywood. The finger joint design make these boxes exceptionally strong and resilient and they are glued up with Titebond. They are unfinished to allow you the finish of your choosing. I use mine just like it is but you could clear coat them or paint them to suit your taste.

The hanger on the back allows you to hang the box on the perimeter wall of the slot track while servicing and also to hang on the wall at the drivers station during the race so it’s handy to get to. There are four extra spacers if you need to adjust the standoffs for thicker track wall configurations.

There are 2 different styles available..... see the pics

Dimensions -

4 3/4" x 3 1/8" x 2 1/8"

The large round holes are 0.60"

The small round holes are 0.125"

$25 delivered to lower 48 states. Other locations, well, whatever it costs will be what you pay.

If you would like some custom laser engraving on your box we can do that as well, shoot me a message.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Attached Images

• 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg

• mreibman likes this
Jack Roberts

#2 scaleuser

scaleuser

passionately moderate

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:54 PM

Really nice workmanship lazer cut very cool. But functionally I'd say it's way more than you need track side. How about a more basic version? Smaller all around with less pieces. lazer cut from good plastic would easier to keep clean.

Don Latch

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

#3 jrjr

jrjr

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

Really nice workmanship lazer cut very cool. But functionally I'd say it's way more than you need track side. How about a more basic version? Smaller all around with less pieces. lazer cut from good plastic would easier to keep clean.

Don,

Thanks for the compliment. I've had a few guys want them even bigger! They aren't as large as you may think. The small square's fit a bottle of VooDoo nicely.

If you are concerned about cleaning I would suggest a coat of paint or shellac or the like.

Most plastics are not very laser friendly although there are exceptions of course. PVC for example gives off chlorine gas which is deadly to both the human and the machine. Clear acrylic is an option but that would increase the cost dramatically.

FYI you can either order by PM here or from my website -

https://leatherandla...-slot-car-boxes

Here's an example of engraving available.

Attached Images

• 66.jpg

Jack Roberts

#4 jrjr

jrjr

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Here's another example of available engraving. I can do most anything you wouldengraved.jpg

Jack Roberts

#5 axman

axman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

Neat work Jack. I make cases here in Australia and would love to laser cut / finger joint slot boxes the same way.

I'm a little surprised the tabs holding the bolts are strong enough for track abuse but other than that it's a good design and certainly good value.

Kim Axton

#6 jrjr

jrjr

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Kim,

The Birch plywood is very strong and it hasn't been an issue. There are no voids in the layers like construction grade ply and they use a better bonding glue during manufacture to make suitable for laser applications. I wouldn't go standing on it but it will hold up to normal use. The load isn't going to be that heavy.

Jack Roberts

#7 jrjr

jrjr

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:17 PM

For some reason the link above isn't working so use this one

https://lakeshorelea...-slot-car-boxes

Jack Roberts

Electric Dreams Online Shop