• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Mattei

Mark Mattei

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

Hello, Al DeYoung, the man that puts on the Midwest Slot Car show in Highland Indiana this Sunday, March 15, has just Informed me that the governor of Indiana has shut him down. No Midwest Slot Car show this Sunday, please pass the word. Thank you, Mark.

#2 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:00 AM

This is getting ridiculous. All we have to do is practice some reasonable hygene. And to not go out in public with a cough. Have we, as a society, fallen

to a point where we won't do those simple things?

• Rotorranch and philk like this

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:28 AM

Because people do things like rub their eye, then put their hand on a doorknob(or vice versa) without giving it a second thought.  Very hard to undo ingrained habits that are done automatically.

"Whatever..."

#4 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

Yes Dave, we have fallen to a point where we won't do simple things that are in our best interests if that's not what we want to do. They also had to cancel the Olympic Torch relay because against the request of the Olympic committee, large crowds were showing up along the route! The Big 12 conference cancelled the conference championship tournament after the first round on Thursday, and the arena in Kansas City was full as usual, even though there has been cases of COVID19 confirmed in Kansas City. People are going to do what they want, not what they should!

#5 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:27 PM

What bothers me is that so many young folks, teens thru 30's,   figure they can live forever and this is just something old people should worry about.   Given that kind of feeling, they will still circulate  in groups, they could be infectious for a few days before symptoms.   That will just keep it going till it spreads everywhere. 

We have a lot more common sense in our 60's and 70's then we did 40 years ago.   Remember how you used to drive and abuse cars!     At least most of us are in a position where we can limit group involvement.    

Why cancel NCAA and other events? It looks like they could  have just put everything on hold till a better time.    So much money lost with cancelling this, I don't understand why they threw in the towel so quick.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,570 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

The Indiana show was apparently the victim of the 250+ ban.

Just curious, what is the typical attendance at that show?

I've been to it, a few times, and while 250 seems likely, is it much over that?

As far as cancelling the NCAA tournament, while I'm not optimistic, I still wouldn't be surprised that if the situation improves dramatically, we see May Madness.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#7 bradblohm

bradblohm

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

I don't believe it will be as bad as some projections, and likely not as bad as H1N1 in 2009 (yes, I know, so why the hysteria this time), BUT, the fact is that it is new, and is deadly to some.  If. and it is a big if, more need hospitalization with this one, they must delay the spread as much as possible so the system isn't overwhelmed.  We are likely to share with each other over time, but let's make it over the next 3 or 4 months, rather than 3 or 4 weeks.  Every day that goes by and more get tested we'll get better stats for people having the virus with 1-no symptoms, 2-mild like a cold, 3-bad but no hospital, 4-need to be in hospital, 5-death.  At the moment I'm not hearing about lots of 4s and 5s, but it is still relatively early.  My big question is why so many deaths in Italy but not Germany?  Anyway, if it does turn into a big nothing-burger, well, great, but you can DAMN well bet there will be a huge call to answer why the hype!

• MattD and strummer like this

Brad Blohm

#8 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

Hawthorne Park is going to continue their horse racing schedule, Pritzker be dammed.

Electric Dreams Online Shop