6 replies to this topic

#1 IRRA Retro Racing

IRRA Retro Racing

Official Spokesman

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:22 PM

The minor change to the Stock Car chassis spec announced earlier today, along with the few changes since the last dated rules were posted, leads to posting the IRRA® Rules PDFs in 2020 versions.

Again, there have been very few amendments to these rules since the 2018 versions were posted; there was a need to bring the rules files to current year-dated versions.

Attached File  2020 IRRA General Rules.pdf   137.1KB   196 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA Motor Rules.pdf   443.41KB   203 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA Rules Quick Reference.pdf   290.05KB   128 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA Can-Am Rules.pdf   659.98KB   237 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA F1 Rules.pdf   960.63KB   136 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA GTC Rules.pdf   464.15KB   92 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA Stock Car Rules.pdf   578.85KB   191 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA Can-Am Plus Rules.pdf   773.51KB   87 downloads

Attached File  2020 IRRA Body List.pdf   5.1MB   237 downloads

These 2020 rules PDFs will be uploaded to the IRRA® website shortly.

The nine separate rules PDFs above can be downloaded as a single file below.

Attached File  2020 IRRA Full Ruleset.pdf   9.69MB   131 downloads

(posted for the IRRA® BoD by Greg Wells)

IRRA® Board of Directors: Jay Guard, Dom Luongo, Mike McMasters, Joe Neumeister, Mike Swiss

#2 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

I for one thank the IRRA for posting clear rules that I can follow.

This is not to pander because having sat on rules committees for other business types, I know how hard they are to negotiate. A nice word for argue through.

As a racer I appreciate rules. While each raceway has the right to change rules for local events, the BRM and Scaleauto thread has a discussion about the KISS principle in rules.

RE that: Two things come to mind:

1 - It makes life easier for the racer to know what rule set to follow for a given event. It saves money, sometimes in short supply, when building a car for a given event.

2 - It makes it easier for the raceway owner in that they don't have to remember all the changes made to them to accommodate local racers. It saves THEM money, because they need only order inventory necessary to support that event. They can provide incentives to racers in the form of event discounts for product or services to purchase locally and support their raceway.

Just my thoughts and my thanks for publishing the new rules.

ScottH

• Cheater likes this
Scott Hruska
East Texas

#3 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:32 PM

As an addendum to my first post, here's a third thing that came to mind:

Third thing - There is nothing stopping a raceway owner from sponsoring an non-rule driven event for all the creative folks (or to attract new folks) who race slot cars:

For example:

When was the last time an raceway owner sponsored a Thingie event with concours?

Why not have a wide open event like the SCCA does and let any and every car run? In those events, a fully race ready Porsche 911 is far faster than a stock Honda Civic. They both are on the track as the same time, aren't they? There are rules already in place for racer etiquette that could reasonably be translated to events running heats with randomly drawn racer positions.

How about running bracket style events from a totally stock RTR to a full open Group 7 wing? Use a whole weekend, like Indianopolis for example, to run qualifying in class. Then, run the a multiple heat/main events? Imagine RTR on the same track during the same weekend as Wing? It promotes the sport (or hobby or...)  and gives all racers a look at all classes of racing. Lots of potential marshals, too...  :good:

In other words, the creativity of the raceway owner is the, er, driver  :D , for a successful hobby/entertainment business.

Run rules driven events that conform to hard argued rules to create a National profile for the sport (or hobby or...) and then get creative to provide a barrel of fun for local racers who may enjoy a few laps in a,  how might I say this, casual way. I'd even go so far as to suggest treating that end of the business like a bowling center. If one thinks about it, there are many similarities...

Again, just my thoughts.

ScottH

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#4 IRRA Retro Racing

IRRA Retro Racing

Official Spokesman

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:07 PM

The IRRA BoD wish officially to address the recent pin tubing issue.

Please note that any chassis using steel tubing other than for pin tubes is deemed illegal as per the rules. Chassis previously raced can only complete legally if the steel tubing is replaced with brass tubing or piano wire or will be deemed illegal to compete under IRRA rules. 

The Chassis Materials section of the IRRA rule set will now read:

Chassis MaterialsBrass: sheet, rod, and tube; brass is defined as generic “yellow” brass containing copper and zinc, with minimal amounts of tin and lead, yellowish in color, non-plated, non-painted, non-coated (except for clear coating to prevent corrosion). Bronze: rod. Steel: wire. Steel commercial guide tongues and stainless steel pin tubing (to be used only for body mounting) are allowed.

The rules posted here at Slotblog and at the IRRA website will be be updated with this change as soon as possible.

(posted for the IRRA® BoD by Greg Wells)

• Tim Neja, Greg VanPeenen and Eddie Fleming like this

IRRA® Board of Directors: Jay Guard, Dom Luongo, Mike McMasters, Joe Neumeister, Mike Swiss

#5 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:33 PM

I have not seen anything about the Stock Car chassis change, and I am not finding it in the new rules.

What is the change?

Eddie Fleming

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:42 PM

See this thread:

Adjustment to IRRA® Stock Car chassis specification

BTW, the 2021 IRRA rule set will be posted in the next couple of days. Very few changes are being inserted.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:12 PM

Oh that one. I thought it was something new.

Eddie Fleming

Electric Dreams Online Shop