On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

Cherry Bacon Steak Sauce with Mushrooms for Grilled Steak, Chicken or Pork

Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes

with Roasted Corn on the Cob with melted Kerry Gold butter

I had some cherries and mushrooms in the veggie drawer that had to be used as well as some thick cut bacon. What doesn’t go well with bacon… I also had two beautiful 1” Prime New York Steaks to grill on a Friday night. A bag of small Red Potatoes, some mid-season corn on the cob plus a bottle of Coppola Vineyards 2017 Claret. Dinner for two with my wonderful wife, Lynn.

I’m not going to provide directions on how to cook/grill a meat. Everyone’s preference for doneness is different. We prefer medium rare to rare.

This recipe serves 2 (with some leftovers)

Cherry Bacon Steak Sauce with Mushrooms

10-15 Ripe cherries of any kind chopped. (I like sweet dark red Michigan Cherries)

1c Chopped Portabello mushrooms

6 slices of thick cut bacon cut into narrow slices across. Called lardons.

1 heaping Tsp ground coriander

1 TBL Worcestershire sauce

2 Tsp Corn starch

1-12oz can of beef consume

NOTE: No additional salt or pepper is needed because the Bacon Provides...The Bacon Provides.

Directions: Pan fry the bacon lardons until they are crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Reserve 3 TBL of bacon grease and heat to near smoking Saute cherries and mushrooms until they begin to crisp. Add the coriander and stir. Add Worcestershire and stir. Saute until all moisture is absorbed. Dust with corn starch and stir to coat. Saute to cook the corn starch for a few minutes to get rid of the raw taste. Add the consume starting with 1/2 the can. Stir rapidly and add more to create the consistency of a sauce or light gravy. Don't use all the consume if the right consistency is reached.

Take off the heat, add bacon, toss to mix and set aside. This is not a make ahead item It should be served within 10 minutes. It takes about 15 minutes to make, so I like to let the meat rest while I prepare the sauce.

Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes

3c of small red potatoes diced.

1c whole peeled garlic cloves in a large dice. About ½" pieces.

6c of salted water, brought to boil. ¼ c sea salt of any kind

1c whole milk – This needs the fat

3TBLs of Kerry Gold Butter (I like Irish butter)

1/2c of chive/green onion top for garnish

Place the potatoes and garlic, with salt, into the water and bring it to a rolling boil. The extra salt is to reduce some of the garlic heat as well as flavor the spuds. Boil for 8-10 minutes or until the garlic is soft when pierced with a knife. Drain and immediately put the potatoes/garlic back in the pot off the heat. This is to remove any surface moisture. Start by adding 1/2c of milk and mash. Add more milk to cream the potato mixture up to the full 1c. Add the butter and blend it in. The finished product should have nice and creamy spuds with the bits of garlic. You want to not only taste the garlic, but to have the texture of a slight crunch.

Roasted Corn on the Cob with melted Kerry Gold butter

3-4 ears of corn, soaked in water for at least 1 hour

melted butter to taste

Leave the husk on the corn and roast/steam on the grill until tender. Peel back the husk and place corn on the grill to add some char. Remove and immediately brush with the melted butter

To Serve

I prefer to down sauce. That is to place the sauce under the meat. Lay a decent smudge of Cherry sauce on the plate so that the steak lays atop, but not covering the sauce. Let it peek around the edges. Place a large dollop of potatoes on the plate and one or two ears of corn. We’ll occasionally grill some onion as a side, but this sauce is the flavor of the plate. Some sliced green onion sprinkled fatop the spuds inishes them and adds a fresh taste.

Bon Appetit

• Cheater, Pablo, MSwiss and 4 others like this
Scott Hruska
East Texas

#2 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

You could put that sauce on a piece of cardboard and it would be delicious!

Cheers

• Pablo and Shruska55 like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#3 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:04 PM

I typed this off-line and then didn't check the spell check to closely. The word is beef "Consomme", not "Consume", though I think the latter fits the idea behind the sauce, eh? Lol

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

:D  :sun_bespectacled: 

Paul Wolcott

Electric Dreams Online Shop