14 replies to this topic

#1 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

Is the IRRA motor list going to be expanded?

In the 2018 and now 2020 IRRA motor document, there are four motors approved for use in IRRA sanctioned events. I recently started racing again in February after a long absence. Neither the TSR or Professor Motor models listed are available at my local raceway, nor have they been recommended by other racers.

With the assumption that a local raceway can use whatever motor is chooses for its own events, there appears to be quite a few motors that are appearing in Retro events. e.g Mid-America Eagle, Retro Eagle to name two.

Thank you,

ScottH

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#2 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:11 PM

AFAIK, the only reason for approving new motors is either unavailability of motors or reliability/performance problems. More motor choices equals more money racers have to shell out, especially if a new one has even the slightest performance advantage. 

The defacto standard is the JK Retro Hawk, I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

Ask people who spend $100s of dollars on motors if they want to see more motors approved... I bet I know the answer.

• Cheater, tonyp, Half Fast and 4 others like this
"Whatever..."

#3 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:25 PM

IRRA® doesn't sanction anything.

• Cheater likes this

Paul Wolcott

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:49 AM

With the assumption that a local raceway can use whatever motor is chooses for its own events, there appears to be quite a few motors that are appearing in Retro events. e.g Mid-America Eagle, Retro Eagle to name two.

Note that the events that use other motors, such as the two you mentioned, are run using other rules, not the IRRA ruleset.
  • Pablo and DOCinCanton like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

I fu

AFAIK, the only reason for approving new motors is either unavailability of motors or reliability/performance problems. More motor choices equals more money racers have to shell out, especially if a new one has even the slightest performance advantage. 

The defacto standard is the JK Retro Hawk, I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

Ask people who spend $100s of dollars on motors if they want to see more motors approved... I bet I know the answer.

I fully agree with this and it was one of the reasons I asked the question.

I'm recently back to racing and I'm still trying to find my way to what kit to actually spent my $100 to buy. I have a lot invested in both Pro Slot and Hawk motors already. If two of the motors on the approved list aren't readily available where I race, then my question was: are others are going to replace them or am I limited to a fraction of the choices when running in the IRRA rules event? (Thanks for the correction on 'sanctioning' vs. IRRA, Pablo). I have no idea whether the two motors I listed are competitive or not since they are not readily available to me. I wondered if I needed to try and find them. That drove my question, in part.

I understand that the local raceways may not be using IRRA rules, Cheater. My concern was that should I wish to travel to an IRRA rules event after the COVID eases up, what do I set up to run, be legal and to be competitive?

I've asked my question and had it answered. Thanks!

ScottH

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#6 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:52 AM

Easy answer then: Retro Hawk motor.   :)

The Falcon 7 and TSR motors are kind of a "legacy" thing. IMO, they should be dropped from the list since they aren't readily available (to my knowledge). And the Professor Motor motor was never competitive. If that one isn't readily available, it should be dropped as well. But, that's not my call and I'm not all that concerned about it

• Pablo, JerseyJohn, Racer36 and 2 others like this
"Whatever..."

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:08 AM

East answer: listen to Johnny VW.

• JerseyJohn and Shruska55 like this

Paul Wolcott

#8 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:16 PM

Easy answer then: Retro Hawk motor.   :)

The Falcon 7 and TSR motors are kind of a "legacy" thing. IMO, they should be dropped from the list since they aren't readily available (to my knowledge). And the Professor Motor motor was never competitive. If that one isn't readily available, it should be dropped as well. But, that's not my call and I'm not all that concerned about it

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but since I'm recently back to racing, I don't have a smidgen of the collective experience and/or resources of the talented folks here on Slotblog.

So, I look to the rules and try to find the items for which I feel comfortable spending my hard-earned (retirement check) funds. The only source of experts that I have reasonably available, aside from my mates at Tyler Slot Cars, are on Slotblog and other Those Who Shall Not Be Named sites around the Interwebs. :D Therefore, I ask the questions because I want to know and I AM concerned about wasting money on products which are not readily available nor competitive.

My questions may seem like fluff to all those who have been racing at least a decade or longer, but for me, and perhaps others coming into this sport/hobby for the first time, these things matter. Particularly, for those on a limited budget and who live two hours from a commercial raceway. Particularly when there is little or very limited time at that track to test on race day. Particularly when a raceway may not have necessary items in stock for on site purchase even though you want to support that raceway. Particularly...

Again, thanks for the answers.

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#9 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:15 PM

What stops you from getting the parts you need via mail order, Scott?

Not everybody lives 10 minutes away from a quality raceway any more. If it wasn't for ordering parts online, I wouldn't even be here. I'd be knitting sweaters or playing checkers.

Paul Wolcott

#10 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:10 PM

... or fishin'.   :)

• Cheater likes this

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#11 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:05 AM

It's tough when the raceway you go to doesn't have what you need. And as far as being quite a distance from a raceway, that's probably at least half the people that race in the Retro East series.  If I can make a suggestion, see if your raceway can order in the parts you want, that way you know they will be there when you go to race.  Or even have them mail them to you (which is what I did during the recent shut downs for the COVID virus).  

I guess my questions would be, does your raceway stock parts for the type of racing that is done there?  Is retro one of their normal classes?  

Just to be sure, if I take the time to respond to anyone online, I take it seriously...no fluff here!  :-)

• Cheater likes this
"Whatever..."

#12 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:52 AM

Good suggestion.

Thank you

ScottH

Scott Hruska
East Texas

#13 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:00 PM

Being located in the Dallas and Tyler area, the retro activity is influenced by R.E.T.R.O. Therefore, you are limited to the two ProSlot motors.

If you plan to travel, the likely retro choice will be IRRA ® rules (Colorado, Arkansas, and probably our new raceway in Wichita). RETRO also has a 

spec pinion (8t) whereas IRRA® allows any pinion. Otherwise, the two rule sets are virtually the same. But, if you are building your own, be sure to use a JK Hawk as your jig motor. The ProSlot motor is effectively a bit shorter and if you later try to fit a RH motor, it will likely drag at the front.

• Ramcatlarry, MSwiss, cdtanner and 2 others like this

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#14 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:31 PM

Scott: I should have mentioned the fact that Dallas Slot Cars is the prime location for Retro racing in your area and they can mail order stuff for you.

I recommend you give them a call, or hit them up on Facebook Messenger. They respond very quickly.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#15 Shruska55

Shruska55

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:17 PM

Richard,

I appreciate the suggestion.

It looks like DSC is going to run  Retro CanAm and F1 this Saturday. If I make it over, I'll check out the inventory.

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott Hruska
East Texas

Electric Dreams Online Shop