#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,531 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

Reposting this from Facebook:

"I have for sale a 165’ Ogilvie Hillclimb. It’s located in Northern Ohio. About a half hour west of Cleveland. I’m asking $6,500 OBO. Track comes with Lapmaster, director’s stand, PA system, one small repeater monitor, and one 55” repeater monitor. Footprint of the track is 19’ x 47’. Track is still assembled and operational. Will have a 70 amp Bulldog power supply with it. Will help disassemble to load out if necessary.

Thanks for looking."

The seller is Brian Lear and I believe he can be reached at (216) 857-3077.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

• Tex, team burrito, Peter Horvath and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Tim Wood

Tim Wood

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

Looks like the Track  in Elyria.  At the Famous Hubble Building Raceway. Hopefully the raceway isn't closing down. I Believe it was Parma's test track.

Tim Wood 

#3 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:46 AM

Yes, unfortunately Brian has come to the decision to close down A&J Raceway. The track was indeed Parma International's former test track, and has only lived in two spots to this date - Parma's warehouse and at 442 Cleveland St in Elyria. It's a gorgeous track and the next owner is going to have one of Steve Ogilvie's finest. 

#4 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

By the lack of available Parma parts I'm guessing the family has zero interest in carrying on the legacy

Darn shame, Parma was a Slot Racing icon. Too bad someone doesn't pick up the pieces.

• team burrito and NSwanberg like this

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing
Color Me Gone

Romans 1:16 "... for I am not ashamed of the Gospel"

#5 elvis44102

elvis44102

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

By the lack of available Parma parts I'm guessing the family has zero interest in carrying on the legacy

Darn shame, Parma was a Slot Racing icon. Too bad someone doesn't pick up the pieces.

Donna and Paul moved to the 442 cleve st location in about 1970-71 after years on winkles street (right around the corner) they had an orange track upstairs and a king track in the basement (73 Nats)....the Cleveland area had about six or eight raceways in the 60s when i started racing..by the seventies Donna branched out to the arts and crafts people to pay the bills and the other raceways closed...

interestingly the Elyria FB page will post an occasional blurb about the slot shop and get hundreds of comments from people whom Donna had a positive effect...Donna never gave-up on anybody but at 90 yrs old i think shes earned her retirement...we have also had this little virus state closure thing in Ohio which tanked more than one business

• Steve Deiters, Justin A. Porter and NSwanberg like this
John Wisneski

#6 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:02 PM

Going to level with you, those posts both during my time running Haven Raceway and watching Brian run A&J in the same location filled me with an absolute level of frustration that's difficult to put into words.

Yes. Hundreds of people talking about how much fun they HAD with slot cars. How much they wish the track were still around. How they were in the shop every night. Hundreds.

And then you tell them "Hey, there's a lovely track in the same location run by great people, open regularly, priced inexpensively, literally dying for customers." and they vanish, all content in their recollection rather than active parts of the slot car community.

Fantastic legacy that Donna and Paul built. I was happy to help write a little further chapter of it. It still tears at me that no amount of shouting at the wind brought all those "Man the Slot Shop was so fun" well-wishers through my or Brian's door.
  • Cheater, cdtanner, MattD and 2 others like this

#7 elvis44102

elvis44102

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

Justin i know you guys tried as hard as possible...and this is a long debated topic as to how to revive slot cars..but having experienced the mid-late sixties on winkles street AND the move to Cleveland street..slots in Elyria were only keep going by the arts and craft primary business which need a more visible area of operation..(Cleve st) i have watched this area degrade from a mecca of manufacturing to our present state

when i see any business open in our area my first thought is i hope they dont lose their house..

John Wisneski

#8 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:12 AM

Justin i know you guys tried as hard as possible...and this is a long debated topic as to how to revive slot cars..but having experienced the mid-late sixties on winkles street AND the move to Cleveland street..slots in Elyria were only keep going by the arts and craft primary business which need a more visible area of operation..(Cleve st) i have watched this area degrade from a mecca of manufacturing to our present state

when i see any business open in our area my first thought is i hope they dont lose their house..

Well, I can at least say that Dad's call to separate the hobby side of the business and move it over to Butternut Ridge Rd has succeeded. Even with the pandemic, hobby sales in general are up and without needing to give a climate-controlled home to a giant piece of lumber operational costs are down. 

I do miss track ownership. Organizing racing was a great joy and I still get a charge out of seeing new products roll out. When I do it again - because I'm clearly not as intelligent as I'd like to be - I'll probably have an Orange or Windsor or small footprint 4 lane with magnabraid. Something that can be tucked in a corner of a shop and raced on but doesn't dominate the floorplan.  

• cdtanner, tonyp, MattD and 3 others like this

#9 gatormark

gatormark

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

The hobby is dead because the base is dying
Mark Conner

Electric Dreams Online Shop