MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:19 PM

J.J.,

If you missed it, I'll repeat;

Joe Salzman, a track owner/manager, asked me to do an axle that also had flats for the wheels.

Needless to say, he's another superior racer to you, who saw a need.

I asked my flat guy, to get it done, and he hemmed and hawed about it for months, because he knew it was going to be a pain in the ass, to do.

Then finally I ran by the idea of the double, full length flat.

He tried it and it worked out well.

Easier to make, super-easy for the racer to use, and the ability to balance out the assembly, somewhat, by tightening the crown on the opposite flat of the tires.

I have an item I can sell to distributors, who can then sell them to raceways, who then can sell them to racers.....

Here's what I sent the BOD;

I came up with a new axle, mostly with drag racing, in mind.

Guys, right away, got excited about them for all types of racing.

Our rule states flats can only be where the wheel and gear is, so it's illegal.

Guys are disappointed, because more and more realize flats are the way to go, regardless of adjustments are a bit harder.

In the case of my center flatted axle for crown gear only, it's wider than it needs to be.

But it's the size of a standard grinding wheel, and being wide, makes it easier to use.

Below is a PM I sent Noose, earlier.

I'll just add my axles will be available to ERI and Eagle, at a full discount.

If I decide to do a traditional three-flat axle, it will be more expensive, maybe a buck, and harder to use.

My PM to Noose:

What are your thoughts about this thing with the full flatted axles? I helped write the rule as it sits, not realizing that those flats take off so little bit of weight. A solid-axle weighs 1.85 grams This one weighs 1.80 grams. Not much weight savings. It's just easier to do, and I can still sell them for $6.50.

The 3 other BOD members agreed with my rational.

I'll add our rules are for 4 races a year.

Port Jeff has one of those 4 races.

In light of Port Jeff being closed up, for 3-4 months, on the COVID 19 situation, we fast tracked it, so they could take advantage of the $250 in sales, and I decided announcing before would create a distraction,(based on his complaints about my weighted guide, I knew Jay would complain, regardless of when it was announced) with a race that was already being held in trying times.

I'm responsible for all the above.

PS-J.J., what does my part getting copied, and complaining about it, have to do with this situation?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#27 JHMerriman

JHMerriman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:49 PM

Who cares if a racer is "superior " to another? Does a person's "status" in racing actually matter in this situation? People have concerns about a non published rule change, and you seem to minimize their opinion on the basis of their "status" or "accomplishments" in racing.

I honestly don't care about the axles, I do care about how people who bring up legitimate concerns are treated.
  • Tim Neja likes this
James "Merry Muffin" Merriman
Team RTR

#28 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:49 PM

The situation as spoken by Mike was clarified as not his fault because the part was cleared and made legal way before the retropalooza the problem was it being announced on the blog as it was supposed to have. The venerable mr. Swiss gets a pass on this one. My apologies. I really should think first before I start bitching because Innovation is something that we like in this like our business it's just that we want to make sure that no one gets an advantage from it that everyone doesn't get and in this case it seems it was an oversight in a publication

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#29 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Jersey John

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

About the guide flag thing yes did you ever write the bitch because somebody copied it. However as a board member a bit more neutrality I think would be in order. And I think we both know then when something new comes out it's not long before it's copied usually the person will put a different little spin on it but the theory is the same been like that with chassis. After the first angle wind or came out how many other different people were building their own based on the same Theory it's all good we are an innovation-driven Hobby where speed is supreme baby and whatever can help make that happen is usually a good thing as long as it's okay and legal

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God 2007.2023
" Owner / Sponsor, TEAM JERSEY-TEAM AUSTRALIA 

Jerseyjohnchassis.com

Logo copy.jpg

#30 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:11 PM

J.J.
The situation was never going to be great, with a BOD member/myself, being involved.

I could of blown this off and waited for my grinder guy to give in, and make me the $7.50 axle.

But I appealed to the other guys, because it just made sense, as a manufacturer.

No different than when we agreed to let Proslot add BB's, to the Puppy Dog, to extend arm shaft life.

That added $8 to the price, but it did make sense, and we approved it, albeit with a future date involved, for legality.

As I said, I don't see these axles as a performance advantage, just a reliability enhancement.

If I thought axles needed to be perfectly 3/32" for the whole length, I would insist that the cars be teched with no spacers.

"Your axles tech fine, go ahead and put your front and rear wheels back on, so I can tech the width".

This obviously would be silly.

Again, I apologize for this situation, and I left this thread open, to accept the lumps I deserve.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#31 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

Again, I apologize for this situation, and I left this thread open, to accept the lumps I deserve.

:good:

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Electric Dreams Online Shop