Photo

What has happened to Parma Retro bodies?

27 replies to this topic

#1 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:04 AM

Both of the major distributors, ERI and Eagle, havent had such popular Parma retro bodies as Ti22 Narrow Nose(regular and short) and M7C F-1 in stock.
Their Big Mama Braids have been unavailable for long, too.
What has happened to Parma?

Haruki
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#2 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:09 AM

Here is the executive summary as told to me after I asked the same queston awhile back.

Parma has changed hands, passed on to family who do not wish to continue. The stock is being sold off the shelves and another commentary was that as soon as they run out of materials to make bodies Parma will be no more. So the out of stock items will remain out of stock. The reason they are still listed is that Parma hasn't publicly announced they are finished as far as I can tell. So everything I just said is a combination of folks closer to the source talking, observation, and speculation,  

Michael Cannon

#3 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,638 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:51 AM

I would strongly suggest trying Mid-America Products braid. I am getting samples in of the new Betta Ti-22 which looks like it might bea good alternative to the Parma square nose Ti-22.
  • team burrito likes this

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” - Douglas Adams

#4 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:26 AM

I would strongly suggest trying Mid-America Products braid. I am getting samples in of the new Betta Ti-22 which looks like it might bea good alternative to the Parma square nose Ti-22.

While the new Betta Ti is an awesome looking body, it’s not an IRRA approved body and from what I read the other day it is unlikely to get approval. 

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#5 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

The Betta looks good.

The IRRA should address the body issue if the Parma supply is going away. So far I have been able to get a Parma body any time I wanted one. Possibly not from everyone but always available. 

Eddie Fleming

#6 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:38 AM

The Betta looks good.

The IRRA should address the body issue if the Parma supply is going away. So far I have been able to get a Parma body any time I wanted one. Possibly not from everyone but always available. 

Seems to me, all you need to do is hand an approved Parma body to one of the many guys making bodies now and they can continue that body in production. If I were one of those guys, I would have a mint condition selection of no less than 5 of each of the Parma bodies that I could use for mold making as Parma slips away. But, I'm not a body making guy.

Michael Cannon

#7 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

If it is a re-pop of a Parma is that legal according to the IRRA? 

It could be hard to tell but by the book would it be legal?

Eddie Fleming

#8 YetiSRP

YetiSRP

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:58 AM

Any advance word on what will happen to all the things that made Parma what it is (was)?

They have a vacuum former and about a gazillion molds just setting in a warehouse from what little I know. There's someone's business right there.

Will there be an auction to sell off stuff? Can you imagine what that would be like selling off all the molds in all the sizes? I'd be there just to see all that. 

• Lou E likes this
Jim Bandes

#9 Danny Zona

Danny Zona

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

The Betta looks good.

I'm stocked myself but a few racers and one of them being a track owner can't get a hold of the T-163 Lola.
Test, test, test and go test some more.
You're never fast enough!!! 💯 Lap times are the only truth. Everything else is just theory.

Preparation leads to separation.

KELLY RACING 😎

#10 Shiggy

Shiggy

Green Hornet race director

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

Any advance word on what will happen to all the things that made Parma what it is (was)?

They have a vacuum former and about a gazillion molds just setting in a warehouse from what little I know. There's someone's business right there.

Will there be an auction to sell off stuff? Can you imagine what that would be like selling off all the molds in all the sizes? I'd be there just to see all that.

I hope someone is able to acquire the molds and continue producing them
D. "shiggy" Person

#11 mppicione

mppicione

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:37 AM

I am sorry to hear this. I hope that someone takes over the business and continues to make Parma products.

Marc Picione

#12 stemmy

stemmy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:32 PM

Has anyone tried the red fox or oleg bodies yet? How do they compare to performance wise to the parma bodies.
Blair Stem

#13 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 22,122 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:20 PM

Has anyone tried the red fox or oleg bodies yet? How do they compare to performance wise to the parma bodies.

The Chevron and Lola GT by RF are good and times were the same to the Parma Lola in testing by me on the Port Jeff King.

The RF M9 F1 body is ok and competitive with the Parma M7.

Have not tested the OLEG Lotus or BRM yet.

• stemmy likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#14 stemmy

stemmy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

Thank you.
Blair Stem

#15 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 6,638 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

Submitting bodies to the IRRA in my opinion is cost prohibitive for a small importer or manufacturer. Submitting 6 examples to 6 individuals with no assurance that they will be approved... perhaps some businesses can write that off but some certainly cannot.

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” - Douglas Adams

#16 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:52 AM

Approval of products that wind up being unavailable to all the racers that want them has been a problem forever.

At least the IRRA is somewhat proactive in this...If they can't be provided for inspection then it's likely that they would be unable to produce enough bodies to meet the demands of the racers

• MSwiss, Noose, Wizard Of Iz and 7 others like this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#17 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:33 PM

I have heard that there is a severe shortage of Lexan suitable for molding bodies. This is because the Lexan is being used to make face shields for the Covid crisis.

This affects all US manufacturers including O/S.

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#18 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

Submitting bodies to the IRRA in my opinion is cost prohibitive for a small importer or manufacturer. Submitting 6 examples to 6 individuals with no assurance that they will be approved... perhaps some businesses can write that off but some certainly cannot.

I would suggest that if 6 bodies, at a cost of about 12 bucks, and postage is an issue then the manufacturer has a lot bigger problems.

• S.O. Watt, tonyp, Dallas Racer and 7 others like this

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#19 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

The face shields for virus protection don't have to be Lexan. There is no need for impact protection, which is what Lexan was developed for. Personnally, I would use Optix for face shields. Also, when I was working for Vulcan Industries, we made hospital cabinetry that used a special clear plastic developed by Baxter-Travenal which had anti-bacterial properties. That would be the ideal material for face shields. So if there is a shortage of Lexan, it is a manufactured shortage, i.e., caused by using the wrong material for the application. 

• NSwanberg and Rotorranch like this

#20 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

Parma I believe has just opened again after COVID shut down.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#21 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:58 PM

I would suggest that if 6 bodies, at a cost of about 12 bucks, and postage is an issue then the manufacturer has a lot bigger problems.

IF the cost for entry into this business were 12 dollars plus postage, I’d set up a corner of my basement as a “cottage industry” shop and have a go. However assuming you already have the vacuum forming equipment (and I knew an industrial arts teacher who was having students pull bodies as part of his class); consider the costs and risks for this endeavor.

The IRRA® does not have a published spec for bodies (so wide, this high, that long) but approves them on a “similar to current performance” standard. While this prevents the “body of the week” syndrome, it is not conducive to allowing new manufactures to “elbow in”, and make a spot for themselves. 

The cost in time and money at the start of this process is the master on which the bodies are pulled. It is my understanding that some bodies have gone through multiple iterations to reach approval. In order to have an approved body you would need to have an "approved" master to pull from, not a "glue a bit on, file a bit off" prototype.

3D printing and CAD may be reducing these costs  In my work I have had occasion to use a “blue light” scanning system which produced a CAD model directly from an object, which would be the ultimate back pour. However the cost of that system was carried on the monthly shipment of jet engines for aircraft.

I would agree trying to break into the market is a high cost, high risk, low return endeavor.

I think that the current rules system stifles innovation and leads to fields of identical bodies; however I am in agreement with the goal of restricting the increase of speed for speed’s sake and the reduced obsolescence of parts.

Bob Schlain

#22 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,324 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:09 PM

It didn't stop VFC, which is a very small outfit, from submitting a body which has become the "go to" stock car body.  

"Innovation" is what leads to obsolescence.

Since the beginning of "PRO" racing, there has always been that "one" body that 99% of people run.  It's just the way it is...

• Half Fast, Bill from NH, old & gray and 1 other like this
"Whatever..."

#23 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:46 PM

One body always rises to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Phil Hackett and DOCinCanton like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#24 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,034 posts
  • Location:Was Silicon Beach Adjacent - Now the Playa District

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

One body always rises to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless a racer is a rogue thinker this statement is true.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#25 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 23,029 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

I bet at Retropalooza, you will see 2, and maybe 3 different Can Am bodies, in A Main.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

Electric Dreams Online Shop